Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #91
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The fact that you don't have any better alternatives to look at doesn't make the examples you posted any more appropriate for assessing the quality of the lens. A poor example is still a poor example, even if you have nothing else.
I don't care DA18-135 AT ALL. There is such lens or there is no. I don't care.

But, I can't understand how to use bad zooms to make photos.

04-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
PZ is crazy about DA limiteds and always give a good word about pretty much all of them... I for one was convinced by PZ to skip the FA limiteds for now and go for DA since I can actually afford it. I don't see how that's not helping Pentax.
Yep, but the local (Germany) Pentax branch may just not bother. That'd be stupid, indeed, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.
04-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #93
Inactive Account

i'm a new member.my camera is k5,Lens is 18135.It's convenience to travel,but the quality of the picture is normal.
04-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

You seem to care quite a bit for someone who doesn't care "at all"

And you statement that you "can't understand how to use bad zooms to make photos" is laughable. The 18-135 is a very capable lens with certain limitations, one of which is corner edge performance at long focal lengths. Does this limitation prevent the 18-135 from making great photo? Of course not. Saying otherwise if foolish. I've got lot of lenses that outperform the 18-135 optically. In fact I would say all of my lenses outperform the 18-135 optically and yet I still see value in keeping and using the 18-135 because it has certain attributes that the other lenses don't have. Call me crazy

04-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #95

18-135 in photozone ???

i still dont get it ...
photozone.de

is this review true ??
i mean ...is it that bad for lens which cost 500 euro ??
it has SP coating ...my 16-45 doesnt have it and still produce a really2 stunning image ...
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #96
Pentaxian

There are already two threads running on this.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/140658-da-18-135-photozone.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140657-pentax-...zone-test.html

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-18-2011 at 11:23 AM.
04-18-2011, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
A good photographer can take a good photo with any kind of lens. There are many people taking fantastic photos with lenses so bad, that they wouldnt be worth more than the cap that they dont even have.
04-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After having looked at the 18-135's samples I have a simple answer: it's a substandard zoom, made for a certain audience. But even for that audience the lens is too pricey.

Just looking at the corners makes my eyes hurt... I have 50 year old primes which are MUCH better in corner resolution and sharpness. One would think that in today's age it would be fairly easy to design good, sharp consumer zooms. But it seems Hoya is now run by bean counters... Where are all the optical wizards like Jun Hirakawa???

Last edited by Asahiflex; 04-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
In this logic, what exactly does Nikkor 85mm 1.4 offer that Klaus measures that is way better than more than triple cheap Nikon 85/1.8, especially Border Resolution? Nikon must be so dumb by offering it!

I'm not offending you, but it makes me laugh you compare FA77 with Nikkor 85mm 1.8.
Nikon is not dumb, Nikon is doing the right thing by offering users a choice - and it is up to the user to see the samples, test results and the state of their budget and buy the one that they want... everything that Klaus measures in optical department shows that 77/1.8 is not performing much better than 85/1.8... (we are not talking about build, size, etc - only about optical results)... so instead of laughing come up w/ some suggestion what else should be measured (and hence expressed in numbers) to show the magic of 77/1.8...
04-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Yesterday I was out shooting in a mild blizzard, camera and lens got very wet. I didn't worry about it or try to protect the gear. I didn't have to risk a lens change, or compromise on focal length. I will do some tests this week to check it out further, but as of right now it looks like it's staying. I like having access to a superzoom, especially a weather-resistant one. Every photo doesn't have to be technically perfect, and if it does, guess what, I can change the damn lens. A mounted 18-135 with DA 15, DA 40, Raynox macro adapter and spare battery fit nicely in my small weather-resistant shoulder bag. That's my grab & go kit.
so will you change it to the non weathersealed DA15 or D40 ?
04-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
so will you change it to the non weathersealed DA15 or D40 ?
Sure, if it's not raining or snowing.
04-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Photozone has been known to be a bit outta whack with Pentax stuff...too subtle for them...
First time I hear about photozone being biased against Pentax. It might help to read photozone's rating comments:

Photozone Rating System:
QuoteQuote:
Some of you folks may be a bit surprised by the "rather low" ratings in the verdicts here at photozone.de. This isn't really intentional but you're simply experiencing a cultural effect. Photozone.de is located in Germany and locally the word "average" means just that - reads: "average" is in between of better and worse. So this is strictly different compared to the more popular anglo-american-style meaning of the word where an "average" is equivalent to about as bad as it gets. Now you may argue that this is confusing but remember that this may be confusing for you but less so for visitors from different countries (thus different cultural backgrounds). We at photozone.de do firmly believe that "feel good" ratings are pointless - it neither helps you to choose nor does it help the manufacturers to get better.
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #103
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photozone's rating system...

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
First time I hear about photozone being biased against Pentax. It might help to read photozone's rating comments:

Photozone Rating System:
The Sigma 18-125 zoom gets a 2.5 optically, but the FA* 24 gets a 2....

I rest my case.

Cameron
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
The Sigma 18-125 zoom gets a 2.5 optically, but the FA* 24 gets a 2....

I rest my case.

Cameron
The corner performance of the tested FA 24 is pretty bad. For one of its main uses (landscape) that's quite unacceptable imo. Compare that to the corners of the Sigma and you can see the sigma actually does perform better. Probably it's just his copy though. Klaus can't exactly control which copy of the lens falls on his hands. If you have a good FA 24, perhaps you can offer to send him one for re-testing under the K-5.

I'm sure a lens have more than just MTF (pixie dust and colors and whatnot), but one can't be objective about things that (one decides) are not quantifiable.
04-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #105

I have owned and used this lens recently and have to say I was personally quite disappointed in it. For 'normal' use it's a great walk around lens, but as soon as I looked a bit closer at my images I was not impressed. Maybe I had a bad copy but my corners were horrible, even at f8 / f11 (especially the left side) and I found it hard to eliminate the PF.

Samples taken while on ski trips over the past month (these are obviously resized for the web - I'm trying to show that the lens takes great photos for most applications, just not for pixel peepers or people trying to print really large):