Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
49mm ND filter options (around 6-stop)?

Does anybody know who makes 6-stop ND filters (ND1.8) in a 49mm thread? Would really like to get something between a 6 and 8 stop filter, but there doesn't seem to be many options in the 49mm thread size which most of my lenses have.

04-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scathontiphat Quote
Does anybody know who makes 6-stop ND filters (ND1.8) in a 49mm thread? Would really like to get something between a 6 and 8 stop filter, but there doesn't seem to be many options in the 49mm thread size which most of my lenses have.
Try looking at the largest size filter you have then look at buying step-down ring fit that will fit on the 49mm size. That way, you only need one filter size to buy.
04-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
Try looking at the largest size filter you have then look at buying step-down ring fit that will fit on the 49mm size. That way, you only need one filter size to buy.
only have one lens that's not 49mm (K135 f2.5), which can step down from 58mm to 49mm without vignetting. But my DA15 can't fit a step-up ring, which is why I tend to use all 49mm filters (not to mention that they are smaller and cheaper).

So far I've only found the B+W ND1.8 in 49mm. Anyone know of any other good manufacturers that make something between a 6-8 stop ND filter in 49mm? I've been less than happy with the multi-coating on my B+W UV filters (I find my hoya S-HMC has much better ghosting/reflection performance).
04-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is why I chose the route of the Cokin kit, allowing me to use multiple "stacked" filters. Interestingly, I don't really use them anymore as bracketing and PP will do exactly what I need w/o the hassle of popping the filters on and off.

04-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
This is why I chose the route of the Cokin kit, allowing me to use multiple "stacked" filters. Interestingly, I don't really use them anymore as bracketing and PP will do exactly what I need w/o the hassle of popping the filters on and off.
I was just typing my reply when I saw rormeister already said the same thing. I might add that stacking screw-on filters is generally a no-no but is acceptable for Cokin style filters. Someone else will have to explain why that is so.

Decent, but not Lee quality, sets of ND are available with ND 2, 4 and 8 in a pack for less than a single quality screwon ND8. I think I got my last one from Calumet.

I also use a DA15mm Ltd and its easy to just handhold the Cokin ND filter over the lens when shooting instead of mounting everything for a single shot. The beauty of shooting with the DA15.
04-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

B+W makes them in regular and slim mount. Check Adorama, they have a very easy filter search interface.
04-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't think it's necessarily more acceptable to stack square/rectangular filters, except that:

1. it's seen as more a feature of the system, since many holders have multiple slots, which somehow may be more "inviting" than front threads on a filter;

2. stacking screw-in filters is more likely to result in vignetting, generally, than when stacking square/rectangular filters.

Paul