Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Polarizer filter for DA12-24mm

Ive looking for a polarizer filter for my DA12-24 been browsing threads so far i have come up with 2 choices

Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer $69
Amazon.com: Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D 67 67mm Filter Japan: Camera & Photo

B+W 67mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated (MRC) Filter $117
B+W 67mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated 66-044842 B&H

my purpose are
1 Landscapes/cityscapes shots - To get a better shadow detail (for pictures that have dark foreground and bright background)
2 Bluer skies
3 eliminate reflection

04-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, before you jump the gun, check your filter-size on the DA 12-24...it's 77mm, not 67mm.

That being said, for the price you pay for 77mm, the CPL on a 12-24 is a bit limited, as wide focal lengths give you uneven polarization...i.e., the sky will be darker blue in different parts. I have both the lens and a CPL for it, and I don't use it nearly as much as I though I would.
04-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok thanks for reminding me.. do you have a link of a pic taken using the filter?

Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D 77 77mm
Amazon.com: Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D 77 77mm Filter Japan: Electronics

B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated (MRC)
04-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple of problems with using polarizers on wide angle lenses.
  • Vignetting - Depending on the lens and the filter, you can get vignetting from either the thickness of the filter glass or the filter frame. You can mitigate this by getting a thin filter.
  • Unevenness in the sky - This is caused by the sun angle, and it varies across the face of the image. This results in an uneveness of blue in the sky, since the amount of polarization will vary with respect to where the sun angle.
Here is an article on CPLs and UWA lenses...
I have a DA 12-24, and yes I picked up a CPL in spite of the warnings. I found a Nikon PL2 77mm CPL filter (yes a Nikon filter on a Pentax lens, great filters - but Nikon has stopped producing filters about a year or so ago). I do get an uneven sky if I am shooting anywhere close to the Sun. However, out of the sun (using a tree for shade) - shooting a lake or whatever, it produces wonderful images. Its a low profile, thin ring, multi coated filter - and its expensive.Also, its impossible to use a CPL and stitch images together - especially if you are looking for a consistently smooth sky.

One more item - if you are going to stack filters, the CPL goes on last.

Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-18-2011 at 07:25 AM.
04-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

personally, I would suggest this one >>> B+W 77mm Kaeseman Circular Polarizing 66-016520 B&H Photo Video.

when it comes to CPL, I advise you not to go cheap. and Yes, you will get what you pay for.
04-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You must use a low profile filter... like this one (Pentax friendly) on ebay
04-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I've given up on a polarizer with this lens. Particularly on images with any sky in it. It's just too wide and the sky is uneven.
04-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

It will not help with exposure difference posted as reason 1. That is more a GND thing, yes?

I find my 12-24 tends to make the sky unnaturally dark without a filter, which I don't like, but I can see using one for reflections.

04-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you all!
when you say it makes the sky uneven does it look like this

Corricella, orange | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Corricella, reti di nylon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i wanted to have that kind of look especially how the foreground is properly exposed
compared to not using a cpl which would make the foreground pretty dark and the background brighter
04-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I actually like the "uneven" effect if used properly. The sky is already much brighter near the sun than it is elsewhere, and this effect enhances the light gradient across the sky.

Just be careful about shooting centered 90 degrees from the sun, because then it'll go from light to dark to light again, and that looks just unnatural.
04-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

honestly speaking, using CPL is more of a love-hate relationship. for certain it is very useful for someone who wants to get rid of reflections, also to even out the overexposed sky and the darker scape or body of water, also to show details as well. the downside of using CPL is that it could really downgrade the IQ that the lens produces that is why it is necessary to get the best CPL inorder to minimize such thing from occuring. vignetting can be an issue although the Slim and wider filter somehow are able to solve that. but the other major problem is that the bigger CPL filter sizes especially the 77mm can come at a cost which some people dont like to spend on.
04-17-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
heres some photos that ive found on flickr which looks really great using a cpl

04-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
or you can use ..sistem filter like cokin or lee filter ...
its not cheap at the first time..but believ me .. this sistem is going to be fun

Lee Filter

Last edited by ewig; 04-17-2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: link
04-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just to stress to the OP, there is no pressing reason to use a circular polarizer with the Pentax camera system.
A linear polarizer will do the same job, in many cases better, and often, the optical quality of a linear is better than a circular, and they can be had for less money.
Bill, could you explain why that is more so with the Pentax system?

My biggest complaint with circular polarizers over linear (other than price) is that there is no control over the effect, and it seemed I could adjust the older filters to have a more pronounced effect than the circular versions.
04-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just to stress to the OP, there is no pressing reason to use a circular polarizer with the Pentax camera system.
A linear polarizer will do the same job, in many cases better, and often, the optical quality of a linear is better than a circular, and they can be had for less money.
Isnt a linear polarizer for manual focus and cpl for auto?
Whats the downside of using a linear polarizer?
im looking whats best for the DA12-24 specifically..