Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which portrait do you prefer?
1 5396.36%
2 23.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I see what looks like a pentagon or hexagon artifact in the OFF lights, can't be 9 blades, it should have almost round artifacts
The DA70 does, in fact, have 9 blades.

Last edited by MPrince; 04-19-2011 at 05:17 AM.
04-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Why does the DA70 exhibit such harsh bokeh?
There are a number of factors that influence bokeh, for example the difference between camera to subject distance vs. subject to background distance, and how busy the background is. The farther the subject is from the background, the better. It's not just about how wide open the lens is or how many aperture blades there are (though those are important too). I have gotten harsh bokeh from the DA70, I have also gotten beautiful bokeh from the DA70.

That's the way I see it, anyway.
04-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
How do I check how many blades my DA 70 has, as it has no aperture ring?
04-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
How do I check how many blades my DA 70 has, as it has no aperture ring?
You can still move the aperture lever with your finger (with the lens off, of course ).

Look through the front and the aperture should be completely closed down--you should be able to see it there.

But yes, it's supposed to have 9 blades.

That wasn't what was causing the harshness in the bokeh there, it was the light coming through the foliage, creating all those circles. Getting closer also blows the background out more, but that's a tricky background for any lens, especially close to wide open.

The soft example is in front of a different background, and it's closer so it's difficult to tell how it would've handled that bg.

It would be good to see a test in front of the same background if you want to compare directly, and framing the subject the same would help too (so you'd have to step back for the 85).

04-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Please don't take offense but I thought I'd run your image through a quick plugin to see if it would respond to making an often tedious job perhaps a little simpler.
The first thing I'd like to say is that this is not an attack on your photo! - And the second thing I'd like to say is that, this does not deal with any of the composition aspects of the image. - Granted... there is room for change on the composition side of the scale. but... I don't think this is a problem as much as everyone needs to develop their style in the due course of time. And so, I'd like to share some basics on post processing side of things.

The first thing I did was run the image through a Photoshop plugin called: Imagenomic Portraiture.
Which I find to be quite good on vanilla portrait images. And in this case, it made skin tones and smoothing a one click affair:

BEFORE:

AFTER(1 click):

As you can see, the plugin can be quite adept at smoothing and equalizing skin tones in a positive way.
It also takes care of the preservation of those regions that define character(eyes, bridge of the nose etc).

I also had the chance to put the image through a few other filters(just for fun).
Though I think the gist of the plugin is that I can really help simplify many of the classic portrait work done in post.

Just for fun:

Hope this helps...

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazing - that's quite the plugin!

However, I have to say, it made the skin on his neck look a little . . . lizardy.
04-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I think that had #2 been shot like #1 that I'd prefer it. In #2 your subject looks a little happier and a little less suspicious of the shot.

I like the crop on #2 better, both because it brings your attention to the face more, and there's a lot of good detail that could be captured there. As has been already pointed out, the bokeh in #1 is too distracting.

I think I might have tried a little fill flash, but turned way down to try to create a bit more contrast on the facial features and try to get some catchlight in the eye.
04-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The guy was a tradesman working at my house, I was putting out my lenses to dry (ok I'm weird) in the sun, and he remarked that I had lot of lenses and couldn't understand why. Those portraits were a rather pathetic attempt to convince him that there was more to photography than a p&s. There was no way I could relax him, he just wanted to be off to his next job. So thank you all for your wonderful tips on portraiture, but my real problem is that I don't have any subjects to photograph. My family is sick of me, and I don't have a cat or dog to practice on. The K 85 soft looks like its beyond my skills at the present.

04-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
That wasn't what was causing the harshness in the bokeh there, it was the light coming through the foliage, creating all those circles. Getting closer also blows the background out more, but that's a tricky background for any lens, especially close to wide open.

The Voigtlander 180 appears to tame the light coming through the foliage quite happily.