Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax smc 500 4.5 "sights"

I've "almost" bought a boxed SMC M42 500 4.5 lens on ebay. However, I've asked the seller to be careful of the "sights" front & rear, as they are vulnerable & easily damaged/bent. He (seller) says there are no "sights" or evidence of them on this lens.....can't see how that could be......but I ain't buying it if they aren't there.
Any comments...as I was really looking forward to this lens.
Cheers, Pickles.

04-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much is he selling it for. I dont have an issue with 500mm and no sights
04-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
How much is he selling it for. I dont have an issue with 500mm and no sights
$620.
So, are you saying that they didn't all have sights? have you ever seen one without sights?.....They all should AFAIAC.
Cheers, Pickles.
04-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I've "almost" bought a boxed SMC M42 500 4.5 lens on ebay. However, I've asked the seller to be careful of the "sights" front & rear, as they are vulnerable & easily damaged/bent. He (seller) says there are no "sights" or evidence of them on this lens.....can't see how that could be......but I ain't buying it if they aren't there.
Any comments...as I was really looking forward to this lens.
Cheers, Pickles.
Martin the M42 version should be the same as my K500/4.5, which has one big (near tripod ring) and one small (near hood) sight. This differs a bit from the K1000/8 which has a fold down "big" sight.

Phil

Attached Images

04-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Phil, I was nearly going to PM you, but thought it would be too late.....yeah, can't work this one out...no sights....the lens has never been used?
Cheers, Pickles.
04-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$620.
So, are you saying that they didn't all have sights? have you ever seen one without sights?.....They all should AFAIAC.
Cheers, Pickles.
No I'm saying they are not critical to using the lens
04-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
It has no sights because it is the older Takumar F5.0 (not F4.5) version.
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DreTAX Quote
It has no sights because it is the older Takumar F5.0 (not F4.5) version.
No, it was the later SMC version.
Anyway....very disappointing......seller requested that the sale be cancelled, so I have reluctantly agreed.
He said...."he could see no sign of the "sights" on the barrel of the lens"!
Can't work that one out?
Cheers, Pickles.

04-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

No, it was the later SMC version.
Anyway....very disappointing......seller requested that the sale be cancelled, so I have reluctantly agreed.
He said...."he could see no sign of the "sights" on the barrel of the lens"!
Can't work that one out?
Cheers, Pickles.
That’s a shame Martin, not sure how the seller could miss or break off the sights on that lens, as they are firmly attached. The K1000/8 with the fold down sight is another story; I have seen these missing from some copies.
Phil.
04-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Thatís a shame Martin, not sure how the seller could miss or break off the sights on that lens, as they are firmly attached. The K1000/8 with the fold down sight is another story; I have seen these missing from some copies.
Phil.
I can't understand it either.....there MUST have been some "sign" of them having been there?!!!....Dunno.....very strange....but whilst I'm disappointed...I'm "moving on"!
It'll be interesting to see if it comes up again......and if it doesn't.....why not!
Cheers, Pickles.
04-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Forum Member

Did you describe the "sights" to him with enough detail to be sure he understood what you were talking about. I only ask because I had absolutely no clue what you meant by sights and even after looking at the photo posted in the thread it took a bit of time for me to spot one of them and realize what you were referring to. It made perfect sense to me then, but had I seen that photo prior to this discussion, I might have assumed I was looking at a mounting bracket for a sight or other accessory.
04-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Here is another M42 500/4.5 on eBay, the pictures clearly show the sights.

Pentax 500mm F4.5 Telephoto Lens, M42 mount with Case | eBay

Phil.
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KyPainter Quote
Did you describe the "sights" to him with enough detail to be sure he understood what you were talking about. I only ask because I had absolutely no clue what you meant by sights and even after looking at the photo posted in the thread it took a bit of time for me to spot one of them and realize what you were referring to. It made perfect sense to me then, but had I seen that photo prior to this discussion, I might have assumed I was looking at a mounting bracket for a sight or other accessory.
I sent him very clear images of the lens showing plainly & exactly the large rear sight & the smaller front sight ....they are VERY easy to see.....seller said.."we can see "no sign" of them on this lens"
Cheers, Pickles.