Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone tried the Leica Elmar 80-200 f4 zoom?

Has anyone tried this lens on a Pentax camera? Can you post some images in this thread if you have?

Cheers.

04-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #2

I have just finished the adaptation to Pentax K mount; with the amount of loctite I had to deal with, didn't think I would actually be able to use the lens on my camera!

I actually bought two copies; returned the first since it had some build quality problems; was rather surprised given that it's a Leica, but the second copy that I now have is in great shape.

First impressions are it's quite a big and heavy lens, but supposedly smaller/lighter than the 70-200 f2.8 zooms out there as well as Pentax 60-250mm. And the build quality is absolutely first rate...I would prefer a bit more resistance to the zoom and focus rings but that's being nitpicky and even so, the action is very smooth. Wide open, the lens is sharp and contrasty; this lens is reputed to be just as good or slightly better optically than the Canon 70-200 L f4 zooms. Having a built in lens hood keeps things tidy.

If you're thinking of getting one to adapt, I recommend finding a non-ROM version.

Last edited by taurus9; 04-21-2011 at 06:15 AM.
04-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Try to contact member: piotr
He had some experiences with various Leica glass but I'm not sure it this specific one
04-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
I have just finished the adaptation to Pentax K mount; with the amount of loctite I had to deal with, didn't think I would actually be able to use the lens on my camera!

I actually bought two copies; returned the first since it had some build quality problems; was rather surprised given that it's a Leica, but the second copy that I now have is in great shape.

First impressions are it's quite a big and heavy lens, but supposedly smaller/lighter than the 70-200 f2.8 zooms out there as well as Pentax 60-250mm. And the build quality is absolutely first rate...I would prefer a bit more resistance to the zoom and focus rings but that's being nitpicky and even so, the action is very smooth. Wide open, the lens is sharp and contrasty; this lens is reputed to be just as good or slightly better optically than the Canon 70-200 L f4 zooms. Having a built in lens hood keeps things tidy.

If you're thinking of getting one to adapt, I recommend finding a non-ROM version.
Thanks for your description taurus9, from what I have read it is optically comparable to Leica R primes within it's zoom range but as you have noted its a bit on the heavy side. Can you give some details on how it functions in the photographer's hands - i.e what the process is to operate the zoom? The only manual zoom I have used was a Pentax M 75-150 which I found a bit slow for shot framing (it may just be me as I haven't used manual lenses much). I presume that you have to focus with the lens wide open and then set your exposure as I have to with my Leica primes?

Another member here also suggested staying away from ROM versions in another post - why do you say that? I'm presuming the Leitax apapters don't fit the ROM versions as it sounds as though you had to butcher yours a bit to convert it. Where did you buy yours?

Finally, if you get a chance could you post some images here with it please?

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Try to contact member: piotr
He had some experiences with various Leica glass but I'm not sure it this specific one
Thanks axl, piotr certainly looks like the Leica guru around here. I have researched piotr's posts before but have not found any info on zooms.

04-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #5

Non-ROM zoom lenses are recommended for the Leitax adapters. It's possible to make the change, but it's more difficult for the ROM versions than non-ROM. Have a look at the Leitax site and look at the instructions for the 35-70/4 lens.

I don't think I considered butchering the lens; but I did strip a couple of screws pretty bad (along with lots of cursing!) trying to take them out due to all the loctite. Replacement screws are on the way.

I'm not familiar with the M 75-150 lens, but the Vario Elmar is a two touch zoom. The zooming ring is the one closest to the camera. The focus ring is in front. You will have to perform stop-down metering just like any other adapted lens. So, as you said, open up the aperture, focus, and then stop down to the desired aperture. Assuming you are in Av mode, then the shutter speed will automatically adjust once you manually stop down. Sometimes, when I zoom from 80 to 200 setting, I will change the SR in the menu (a pain, but this needs to be done even for my A 35-105 zoom)

Getting used to the weight is the largest learning curve for me; Holding a 1 kg lens steady while not accidentally knocking the focus or the zoom setting off will need some practice.

I am on the road now, so I am not able to send you sample pictures. Perhaps when I get back then I will post a few..

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
Thanks for your description taurus9, from what I have read it is optically comparable to Leica R primes within it's zoom range but as you have noted its a bit on the heavy side. Can you give some details on how it functions in the photographer's hands - i.e what the process is to operate the zoom? The only manual zoom I have used was a Pentax M 75-150 which I found a bit slow for shot framing (it may just be me as I haven't used manual lenses much). I presume that you have to focus with the lens wide open and then set your exposure as I have to with my Leica primes?

Another member here also suggested staying away from ROM versions in another post - why do you say that? I'm presuming the Leitax apapters don't fit the ROM versions as it sounds as though you had to butcher yours a bit to convert it. Where did you buy yours?

Finally, if you get a chance could you post some images here with it please?

Thanks axl, piotr certainly looks like the Leica guru around here. I have researched piotr's posts before but have not found any info on zooms.
04-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the excellent info, I look forward to seeing some pics.

Non-ROM zoom lenses are recommended for the Leitax adapters. It's possible to make the change, but it's more difficult for the ROM versions than non-ROM. Have a look at the Leitax site and look at the instructions for the 35-70/4 lens.

I don't think I considered butchering the lens; but I did strip a couple of screws pretty bad (along with lots of cursing!) trying to take them out due to all the loctite. Replacement screws are on the way.

I'm not familiar with the M 75-150 lens, but the Vario Elmar is a two touch zoom. The zooming ring is the one closest to the camera. The focus ring is in front. You will have to perform stop-down metering just like any other adapted lens. So, as you said, open up the aperture, focus, and then stop down to the desired aperture. Assuming you are in Av mode, then the shutter speed will automatically adjust once you manually stop down. Sometimes, when I zoom from 80 to 200 setting, I will change the SR in the menu (a pain, but this needs to be done even for my A 35-105 zoom)

Getting used to the weight is the largest learning curve for me; Holding a 1 kg lens steady while not accidentally knocking the focus or the zoom setting off will need some practice.

I am on the road now, so I am not able to send you sample pictures. Perhaps when I get back then I will post a few..
05-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Hi Taurus9,

I just bought a ROM version...

If you have any pictures or tips, etc - I'd really appreciate it. I am not that handy. I've adapted a couple of easy Leicas before but never a ROM lens and never a zoom.

05-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
Hi Taurus9,

If you have any pictures or tips, etc - I'd really appreciate it. I am not that handy. I've adapted a couple of easy Leicas before but never a ROM lens and never a zoom.

Daniel,
I think Taurus9 followed the instructions for the 35-70 that he suggests checking out. I had a look at them on the Leitax site and they explain it pretty well.

By the way it is your fault for my switch to rangefinders for selling me those great Leica R lenses. If I had never seen the results from the Elmarit in particular I would still be a very content Pentax user .

05-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #9

I converted a non-ROM version of the 80-200mm lens not the ROM version. To be honest, I do not know what the ROM version will be like to convert, but the Leitax site does specifically mention that ROM zooms in general will be difficult to convert. Perhaps open the lens up to see whether it's feasible to convert with a regular R to K bayonet.

If you still want to keep the lens, you could also do a couple of things; one is to convert it first to a 3-cam lens, and then perform the K mount conversion (no idea of the cost). The other thing is to use a Canon camera since the Leitax mount for Canons sit on top of the existing R mount.

Good luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
Hi Taurus9,

05-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
Thanks for the excellent info, I look forward to seeing some pics.
I will post the pics on the Leica lens club thread...still on vacation but the lens had a good workout. The lens was used much more than expected and am getting used to the weight of the lens. I am thinking it's making me stronger

The focus throw is 180 degrees, but still a bit short though so getting precise focus is sometimes tricky when you're dealing with near infinity objects.
05-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #11

Have a look at the Leica Lens club thread for sample images from this lens.
05-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

you can find few samples from this lens in my gallery Leica Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200 Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com