Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
So if I'm getting this correctly, these are "flangeless" adapters that do allow infinity focus:
<...>
And these are the kind that I don't want:
<...>
The ones that do allow infinite focusing basically have a thinner rim, while the ones that don't allow infinity focus have a wider rim, correct?
The first 'flangeless' (actually a thin flange) adapters allow for infinity focus, and the wide-flanged adapters don't. I happen to 'want' both kinds, but for different applications. If I want closer focusing with a camera lens, I'll use a wide-flanged no-infinity-focus (NIF) adapter. For instance, my Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 and Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 both have minimum focus of 2.5m. Using a NIF adapter (1mm thick) decreases focal distances just a little; adding a cheap 14mm macro tube section drops near-focus to just under 1m, while far-focus drops to ~80m. That's perfect for near- and mid-range shooting. Or, putting a NIF adapter on an 85mm lens (like a Jupiter-9) ensures that farther backgrounds will be out-of-focus.

QuoteQuote:
You wouldn't happen to have a photo indicating where to stick the metal tape, would you?
Ah, that's part of the learning experience! But actually, it varies with the lens and thin-flange adapter used, and just how tightly you screw-on the adapter. In other words, welcome to Trial-And-Error World! Note: Do NOT put tape on a wide-flange NIF adapter. It WILL jam on the camera mount! Instead, scrape or file away the black paint in the appropriate position. Try it a couple times, and you'll find just where that position is, to safely short the contact pins.

05-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Don't worry you can add 1/2 " onto the back of that Russian lens and Still get Infinity !

QuoteOriginally posted by vanakaru Quote
What lenses you are talking about? None of my Helioses get infinity focus with flanged adapter.
I use the black flange adapetrs with Helios 44M (still have few degrees beyond infinity)
and Jupiter 9 (I had to sand a bit from the flange to get infinity).
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Inactive Account

My question is: what's the point of wanting to permanently convert an M42 to a K-mount? Wouldn't it be more preferable to have the option of removing it at some point to use, say if you had another M42 lens and no spare adapters?
05-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rainy Day Quote
My question is: what's the point of wanting to permanently convert an M42 to a K-mount? Wouldn't it be more preferable to have the option of removing it at some point to use, say if you had another M42 lens and no spare adapters?
Not just that, but Canon (hisssss....) and Sony and m4/3 and other cameras (digital and film) can use M42's too. I stopped gluing down the aperture pins on auto-only M42's because it reduces any future resale value by making them unusable on auto-supporting M42 cameras. I wouldn't permanently epoxy an M42-PK adapter onto a lens either.

Fortunately, an M42-PK adapter can be screwed tightly onto a lens, using the rear lens cap as a wrench, and it's almost as secure as a glue job. Some of my lenses have been so equipped for so long that I've almost forgotten they're not native PK. Yet the adapter can always be easily removed, as desired.

And yes, you can never have enough adapters. Adapters are fungible. They can easily go from lens to lens, like lens-locusts.

05-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote

I use the black flange adapetrs with Helios 44M (still have few degrees beyond infinity)
and Jupiter 9 (I had to sand a bit from the flange to get infinity).
All my 10 Helios 44's will not go to infinity with black flanged adapter(0,75mm thick). Maybe your Helios infinity was not adjusted right. This is quit possible with soviet manufacturing.
05-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The ones that do allow infinite focusing basically have a thinner rim, while the ones that don't allow infinity focus have a wider rim, correct?

You wouldn't happen to have a photo indicating where to stick the metal tape, would you?

Thanks,
Bobbo :-)

Your goal is to make electrical contact over the "Data" pin (although other pins might suffice.)

Infinity focus is often easy to adjust on a mirror lens; if so for your lens the wide flange type adapter will work & you'll avoid making a notch in the lens body.

I've used many m42 adapters and have found little difference between pentax and third party adapters.