Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best wildlife lens?

Whats the best wildlife lens that wont brake me? Should i go with a zoom, or a prime? Or a tc? I definately want good quality. But i don't need the best. Thanks.

10-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 different combinations that I enjoy using

first, is my Sigma APO 70-200f/2.8 EX GD with a 1.4 x TC.

As a general walk around wildlife lens an effective 100-300 F4 is a great combo. The lens has good contrast and sharpness and fast autofocus. This lens has been out of production for some time (2 years I think) and is somewhat hard to find.

Second, for a little more reach, I use an SMC Pentax 300mm F/4.0 with 1.7x AF TC This is just light enough that you don't need arms like a gorilla to hold it. Only drawback is that being manual apature, I can't use it with a flash on my K10D, so this one is religated to use on my *istD for most things.

I use flash with both to get really sharp shots, since flash can freeze the subject. (note shake reduction gets rid of my movement not the subjects)
10-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only know about ones that will break you...

Too bad most mentioned here are Can-kon because it's a fantastic annotated round-up of what's out there: Digital Grin Photography Forum (how 'bout that "Adult Barnswallow: 500/4L with 68mm extenstion tubes" on the 1st page... ). There are some great Bigma shots in there you can get for the Pentax. And shots with my big lens when used with a TC.