Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the misses know about the fiancee' and vice versa?

I think you have moved away from the zooms but if not, another vote for the Tamron/DA 18-250 or DA18-135WR from me.

Last edited by crewl1; 04-20-2011 at 11:19 PM.
04-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nav1_ae86 Quote
Well guys my budget just went up to 1,000$ I got the go ahead from the misses. lol So I was looking at some lenses. Im stuck on this so far. I would like to get more than 1 at least 2 to fit this buget.

-Sigma Normal 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens -|(More compatible with different brands)
or =Not sure which one of these two to choose.
-Pentax Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens----|
or
-Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Series Autofocus Lens( I do like this one and what i have read)

I have been doing all my research on Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ. I'm not worried about a zoom lens because of the fear of the very dusty conditions i'll be in. but i have also started to look at some wide angle lenses any suggestions. Im not sure how much this matters but its going my K-7.
The model of your camera is irrelevant as long as it's a Pentax.

Pentax 16-50/2.8 has WR (weather sealing = protection against dust and humidity) so it would be the #1 choice for a trip. Tamron SP 17-50 would be the second recommendation if you think you can get away without the weather sealing.

The 40mm is a nice sharp lens, but it's not faster than a zoom. The 50s give you faster aperture, but for travel they're less than ideal - get one later, down the line. You need a zoom for the flexibility and to avoid changing lenses. Neither of these lenses is weather sealed, although the Sigma has internal focus, which would make it a bit better. If you really want a fast 50, get the Pentax DA* 55/1.4 - that lens is weather sealed.
04-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #18

Well guys my budget just went up to 1,000$ I got the go ahead from the misses. lol So I was looking at some lenses. Im stuck on this so far. I would like to get more than 1 at least 2 to fit this buget.

-Sigma Normal 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens -|(More compatible with different brands)
or
-Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Series Autofocus Lens( I do like this one and what i have read)

I have been doing all my research on www.dpreview.com. I'm not worried about a zoom lens because of the fear of the very dusty conditions i'll be in. but i have also started to look at some wide angle lenses any suggestions. Im not sure how much this matters but its going my K-7.
I'd also recommend the DA*16-50. It's weather sealed against dust, etc. If you are determined to get a prime lens, the DA*55 is weather sealed as well, but will not offer you any flexibility really. I suppose you can combine it with the 15mm limited, but then you are changing lenses, and the 16-50 will give you the same focal length range in a single weather sealed lens.
04-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
. I'm not worried about a zoom lens because of the fear of the very dusty conditions i'll be in.
you dont want to change primes in dusty conditions.

04-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #20

Original Poster
well i guess not
wouldnt want to risk the system
what do you think?
04-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #21

well i guess not
what do you think?
I just remembered a thread that has pics from a guy in major dust situation in Afghanistan and he uses a few DA* lenses. It might give you an idea of the sorts of images you can get in a dusty environment:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/108901-afghanistan-travels-thread.html
04-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #22
Forum Member

Before buying expensive 18-135 check this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140658-da-18-135-photozone-8.html

I am using DA 17-70 and as a general purpose zoom is exactly what I need. Are you sure you need WR? I I am shooting outdoors for few years (mountains, forests, beaches, dunes) and I have never problems with my non-sealed lenses. No dust inside.
04-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #23

Original Poster
thanks

I just got done reading the review on photozone

04-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

or

I have been doing all my research on Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ. I'm not worried about a zoom lens because of the fear of the very dusty conditions i'll be in. but i have also started to look at some wide angle lenses any suggestions. Im not sure how much this matters but its going my K-7.
don't you like the FA43? before you cut it out, I suggest to carefully reconsider it by looking any info about it, including some samples.
04-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

seems like the 18-135 might have some problems. I think a Tamron 17-50 would be a better alternative instead.
04-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

any of the limited primes are very well sealed, the sigma build is not as good - if you buy it to use with pentax it is only compatible with pentax, they just make multiple versions). if you want to go prime the da 15 and the da 40 would be a good start, though the 18-135wr with an FA 50 f1.4 for low light and portraits would be an excellent travel kit, the FA comes up in the marketplace fairly regularly and it's a good place to save a dollar or 2 and get a more known quantity than fleabay

have a look at the reviews section here all these lenses have extensive user reviews, as well there are some full reviews on some of them

Egypt is high on my list of trips to take, looking forward o seeing your shots when you get back
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'll second the DA17-70; complement it with a DA(L)35/2.4 (not the limited) for low light conditions and you have something that will serve you well for a long time.

This will leave you some money that can go towards spare memory cards (don't put all your eggs in one basket), a camera bag, some goodies for maintenance (lens cleaning stuff, blower, ...), a tripod and a 'simple' flash.

If funds permit it, you can replace the DA(L)35/2.4 with the Sigma 30/1.4.

That's the short version of the story

Starting with primes is nice. But the selection of primes is highly depending on the needs and a highly personal one.

The way I visualize Egypt (never been there and haven't done research on it), it's vistas, pyramids, street shots and some indoor work (entertainment, musea). In which case I would start with the DA21Ltd. I think that that lens can live most of the time on my camera during the trip; but I might be wrong.
A 40mm or 50mm will nicely complement the 21mm on the trip; even 70mm might do. 70mm gives me the option to zoom in a little on details, 50mm and 40mm less so.

So lets assume you've opted for 21mm and 70mm (OK, the combo is a little outside the budget but that's not the point now) and they have served you well during the trip. When you're at home, your circumstances change. You've already found that 70mm is too long for most indoor shots (and 50mm will be as well in my opinion) and now at home you find that 21mm is too wide for your liking most of the time; you're always cropping in post processing or feel that you're always pushing the camera in the face of people when you use that lens.

There comes prime number 3; something in between 21mm and 70mm

In short, I think that you (for now) are better off with a standard zoom as your main lens and a standard prime for low light work. The prime can, at a later stage, be the base for a different kit if you feel that need.
04-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter

With the question regarding dust, you are more likely to get dust into the camera if you change out lenses than if you use a zoom, especially one that is pretty near weather sealed. And since you are traveling, the less you have to lug around the better. If it were me, and I had the budget you now have, go for the 16-50 f2.8, I think you are going to find yourself better off. The primes give you only 1 or 1 1/2 stops extra on light. If you wanted to bring two lenses, bring the 16-50 and then a longer zoom (50-300?). Besides, it sounds like this is your honeymoon and you should have other things to concentrate on (both your finance and your wife!)!

Regards,
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #29
Forum Member

well i guess not
what do you think?
Dust is just everywhere. No matter how careful you are. And are you going to Egypt forever?

If you already know quite a bit about photography and first hand experienced different primes/zooms, you are ok with buying them. But if you are not and will not have easy access to them, a super zoom will help you a lot to learn and have a "feel" of the different focal lenghts and the "look" they can produce. I'd suggest going right up till 200mm or 250mm, as this will give you a satisfaction of a good out-of-focus background when you need it. And yet, with the superzoom you will be able to play around with your K7 as much as you want (of course, with slow apertures), coz there's loads to learn! This will also help awaken the style of photography that you will eventually get into. And then when you feel you have learnt enough, you can jump into the lens of your liking (and even sell off your superzoom). Warning: you will feel like kicking yourself for buying a superzoom at that time, though!

All the best!

Last edited by icypepsi; 04-21-2011 at 01:03 PM.
04-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
any of the limited primes are very well sealed
Not one bit.

For dusty conditions, the OP should consider a cheap lens that can get gummed up, or a WR lens of some sort. I think, on a fragile budget, the SDM lenses should be avoided for now. But so should the FA limiteds *for dusty conditions*.

Maybe it would be prudent to just spend some time with the 18-55 WR until the OP knows what focal lengths he actually wants!