Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #1

Lens advice for K-7

Well I just got my first real camera as a gift from my fiance. It's a Pentax k-7. I just got the body no lens yet. I'll be leaving to Egypt quite soon and I wanted to know what is a good lens to get. I have read so much but I'm lost. I was recommended a sigma 30mm 1.4 ex dc to start with it runs about $489. I just want to make sure I was getting the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions will be a great help. I got a 600$ limit or so. please help. Thanks

Ivan......

04-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Forum Member

If you're going to be traveling with only one lens, it'd be best to get a zoom lens that covers a lot of different lengths for all the varying shots you'll be taking.

This thread is a similar conversation:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/140962-opinion...avel-lens.html

And in my opinion, something like the Sigma 18-125 would work well.
04-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning, I am going to assume that the pictures you are interested in taking will be a little bit of everything. In that case, I would suggest a Pentax 18-135. Its focal length range covers a bit of everything, reportedly its reasonably good, single lens, goes from wide angle to a bit of telephoto. Its referred to as a "walk around lens", or a "jack of all trades" - it does a bit of everything - but its not specialized, so it doesn't do any one thing particularly well. You will not need to change a lot, and if its just one lens, it fits into your budget.

Another approach is to pickup 2 lenses. The kit DA 18-55 and the DA 55-300. That should be just within your budget. Since the focal length range is across 2 lenses, they are a bit better. The 55-300 is a very good performer, and the Pentax kit lens is one of the better kit lenses around.

Have fun in Egypt!....

04-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

I would recommend a zoom lens as your first lens. A zoom is ideal for travel because you can adjust the focal length to fit your subject.

The Pentax kit lens 18-55 or the 18-135 are options if you want to start out from that wide of an angle that 18mm offers.

A zoom starting at 24 or 28mm might also work for you, it depends what you will be shooting.

Take a look at the lens databases on this forum:

Pentax zoom lenses:

Pentax DA Series Zoom Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

and

Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

where Tamron and Sigma may have some lenses of interest.

04-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Another great option is the 18-135mm: it's a good all-around zoom.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another vote for the 18-135WR. You get the benefit of both the K7 and the lens’ weather sealing. If you want longer reach I would consider the DA18-250mm or Tamron 18-250mm (same lens) but neither is WR. Unfortunately, these have been discontinued and only available in the used market. Just acquired the DA 18-250mm in excellent condition from Adorama. IMHO it is an excellent travel lens.
04-20-2011, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

+1 on the 18-135WR, If your budget is this it is the best travel lens in the range. and it gives you WR ( a feature that will be well used in the dusty conditions of Egypt).
Even though I have close to 20 lenses at the moment that fulfill most of my needs, I have bee seriously considering this lens for travel, along with my da14 it would cover all needed ranges and keep a relatively compact travel kit
Longer reach I find is rarely needed on travel, but wider is so if you come up with some extra cash before leaving maybe add a sigma 10-20 or a DA14/15

04-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I will also add to the recommendations for the 18-135 WR for a trip to Egypt. You can avoid changing lenses and fouling your camera body. If you want to spend more there are DA* zooms that would work well too as they are sealed even better.
04-20-2011, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nav1_ae86 Quote
Well I just got my first real camera as a gift from my fiance. It's a Pentax k-7. I just got the body no lens yet. I'll be leaving to Egypt quite soon and I wanted to know what is a good lens to get. I have read so much but I'm lost. I was recommended a sigma 30mm 1.4 ex dc to start with it runs about $489. I just want to make sure I was getting the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions will be a great help. I got a 600$ limit or so. please help. Thanks

Ivan......
It's hard to recommend a lens to someone because we all have our own shooting style and vision we want to communicate.

I don't like zooms in dusty environments (even weather sealed) because the barrel extending and contracting sucks in dust. I'm mostly a prime shooter and I prefer long glass. I would take the DA*55mm f/1.4.

If your not worried about dust then the 40mm f/2.8 is a great little lens for not a lot of money. The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is an excellent lens and I would take it over the 30mm f/1.4.
04-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for all the advise. Im really interested on the weather sealed lens eddie and k57xr both recommended. I did not expect so much help so soon. Im sure to love my new k-7 and all the future friends ill meet on this site. thanks.
04-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Can you tell me more about a good prime lens?
04-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest the 18-135 for now. and buy a prime later. if you are willing to push your budget on a prime as well, I would assume you would prefer an AF lens, so you might spend about around 1,000 for both lenses. as far as recommendation for a good prime, I would recommend either FA35/2 (cheaper) or FA43 (a bit more + 150 or +250 over the FA35).
04-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, here is a variation on the theme that seems to be coming along here. I would suggest the Pentax DA 16-50 as the one lens. It has a constant aperture of f2.8 and covers a good basic range. It JUST fits in your budget at about $600 if you catch it at the right price (one for sale on e-bay right now).

Otherwise, for the range and the price, the 18-135 should cover you.

Good hunting!
04-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

An option to consider seriously is the DA18-250mm/Tamron 18-250mm. The lens was manufactured by Tamron and rebadged by Pentax. While the lens was discontinued, a number of qood-quality used lenses are available on the market (incl. Adorama.com and Keh.com) around US$360-380.

The lens has a great focal length range. Very useful when travelling. Further the lens is well regarded among all brands for its quality. The lens is very sturdy has experienced by many Pentaxians. This is important, even if the lens does not have a WR badge. The 18-250mm is not WR but it is WR-like; I can speak from my own experience.

The K-7 together with DA18-250mm is a very nice all-around system (1 body + 1 lens). No lens swapping. I have travelled a lot with that combo and I can recommend it highly.

Downside: the weakness of the DA18-250mm and of most all-round zoom lenses is the low light conditions. There is a little zoom creep but there a lock to carry the lens in its compact setting.

Hope that the comment will help.

Last edited by hcc; 04-21-2011 at 09:38 AM.
04-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #15

Original Poster
Well guys my budget just went up to 1,000$ I got the go ahead from the misses. lol So I was looking at some lenses. Im stuck on this so far. I would like to get more than 1 at least 2 to fit this buget.

-Sigma Normal 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens -|(More compatible with different brands)
or =Not sure which one of these two to choose.
-Pentax Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens----|
or
-Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Series Autofocus Lens( I do like this one and what i have read)

I have been doing all my research on www.dpreview.com. I'm not worried about a zoom lens because of the fear of the very dusty conditions i'll be in. but i have also started to look at some wide angle lenses any suggestions. Im not sure how much this matters but its going my K-7.

Last edited by Nav1_ae86; 04-20-2011 at 08:50 PM.