Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #16

had the same case with my K55 1.8 before. fuzzy,foggy like images . try to look through the glass though, i discovered that the glass seems foggy as well. sent to for clean up and rest is history. k55 now is my go to lens. very sharp and great lens. i also have the 37a russian copy and its my best portrait lens now, very sharp indeed. it may be cheap buy don't just give up on that great lens

08-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good thing to know that I'm not making things up, or at least I'm not the only one
My glass looks clear really, that's why I believe the lens had been previously disassembled and some optical elements swapped or something. Is that even possible?! Or the groups simply screw in place, leaving no room for mistake. That's what I really want to know before I throw away money on a lens spanner.
08-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have an idea now, it's just speculations though. You remember what I said in the OP, that the pictures have a grayish quality to them. Well when I dismantled the lens there were tons of this grey grease that got on my fingers (is this what they call lithium grease?). Is there any chance the grease could get through the aperture mechanism inside the optical part?
08-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Albums
I expect the grease would be really obvious if it really got on the lens elements. Have you looked through the lens at a light to see if you can see any irregularities on the glass surface?

As for the assembly of the lens - I don't know if on the 37A it is possible to mount something the wrong way. I disassembled a few lenses and the worst issue I encountered was screwing back the focusing helicoid so that I don't lose infinity focus. Only once I played with a lens (Domiplan 50/2.8) where the rear element could actually be reversed - that was a very peculiar design.

You can take the lens to a shop to get it cleaned, but it may cost you more to repair it than to get a new copy. Try looking a bit for another sample.

08-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You can take the lens to a shop to get it cleaned, but it may cost you more to repair it than to get a new copy. Try looking a bit for another sample.
Well, I already have a Takumar 200/4 which, although fungus-ridden, takes much sharper picture than this lens, so I'm not putting high hopes into repairing it/buying another copy. It just intrigues me that nothing seems obviously wrong with it, and it is so well regarded even here on PF that I sometimes think I am crazy.
10-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Major update although will not be the last: I had some free time this weekend, and as I just realized what a great spanner tool would a pair of scissors make, I hurriedly took it apart and cleaned the lens elements (still left more dust inside than it already was), but I realized that the rear element should really fit backwards So I reversed it, and voila, the Jupiter 37A was now sharp after so many years and god knows what improper service (remember when I said somebody had previously opened it?)
I didn't get to test it at full potential (I am very, very, very busy during the week), I get home when there's not enough light for a clean ISO (and I only tried it wide open), but this is the first sharp picture that ever came from it (picture no longer available, but here's my set on Flickr with this lens):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcobain1992/sets/72157632495357149/

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 07-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.
10-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #22
Banned

Photos: Albums
Great job! I'm glad to hear you figured out the problem. I think you'll like it now.