Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
Maybe my eyes have problem but your picture looks soft.
You're right. It was shot at iso 800 and had some noise reduction done to it. I think this photo (also at f4) is a little sharper.

04-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #17

I have some problems with this lens too, when I shoot in near distance - focus is correct, but when it's a person in full length - focus back or front... K7 or K20D or K5 - doesn't matter... I use ring on lens to correct focus after autofocus works done, but it's not good...
04-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is more that I play with shallow DOF with FA*85mm and DA*55mm then I do when I go out with this lens. The AF with SDM is a bit slow to me for sports, so I don't use it for that much. It is more for having DA* and no trouble with environment (dust and rain) and mostly those pictures are more comfortable to take with f5.6 or so.
That's really interesting, because one of the things I like about the lens is the soft and creamy bokeh, so I would like to shoot at lower f stops more often, but I don't really like the softness.

Not so concerned about the weather sealing - I've shot in the rain with the primes with no problems. I think they are pretty robust and there's nothing much that can go wrong with them. I've had them fog up on me, but they will clear up eventually.

What lens do you use for sports?
04-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
What lens do you use for sports?
Well I use allmost all my lenses at some point for sports. I did atletics with 21mm, fightnight with 40mm, volleyball with 55mm and 85mm. Am going to buy Sigma 120-300mm/f2.8 for sports. So it's up on the event or things that I'm expecting.

Did a search, but also used this lens for swimevents. Offcourse, how can I forget. 135mm is just to short for the big pool.

This is kids in 25meter bad at 135mm and f3.5

This was in 50 meter bad at 135mm and f2.8

When I look more closely I probably can find more pictures that are sharp and with relatively wide open appertures.

04-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
When I look more closely I probably can find more pictures that are sharp and with relatively wide open appertures.
Can you find any pictures with lots of detail right down to the pixel level? And can you crop them so that they are at pixel resolution?

The pictures you have posted are nice, but they actually don't have a lot of detail (not that it would have been possible to see with the reduced resolution)

The softness I am talking about isn't going to be visible at screen resolution, or even A4 prints. They are visible as a softening at the pixel level.
04-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Christine, your lens is normal, nothing wrong with it. I went back to my test shots from when I first got the lens, in 2008, which is the only time I tried it at 2.8. Though the 2,8 shots were quite good, for a zoom, there was a clear improvement as I approached 5.6. This was in the days of the 10mp sensor. With the 14mp sensor that you are using,, the lack of resolution wide open is magnified, as a result, it is more noticeable.

The DA* 50-135 might deserve its reputation as a pocket full of primes, but a pocket full of limited primes, it is not.
04-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Christine, your lens is normal, nothing wrong with it. I went back to my test shots from when I first got the lens, in 2008, which is the only time I tried it at 2.8. Though the 2,8 shots were quite good, for a zoom, there was a clear improvement as I approached 5.6. This was in the days of the 10mp sensor. With the 14mp sensor that you are using,, the lack of resolution wide open is magnified, as a result, it is more noticeable.

The DA* 50-135 might deserve its reputation as a pocket full of primes, but a pocket full of limited primes, it is not.
You are absolutely right.

I keep forgetting the lens was originally designed for the K10D - the image quality is probably acceptable on a 10Mp sensor.

@Ron - I am surprised you are considering a Sigma for sports photography. When I tested the Sigma 70-200 (which was the primary alternative I was considering) I found HSM to be painfully slow at focusing.

I'm now thinking maybe I should just save up for the Pentax 200/2.8.
04-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

When I tested the Sigma 70-200 (which was the primary alternative I was considering) I found HSM to be painfully slow at focusing.
I couldnt be happier with the focusing speed of the Sigma 70-200 HSM II. My very first test shot was of a fast moving car going perpendicular to me at about 70 km/hr, with me standing kerbside. I saw the car from the corner of my eye, raised the lens from pointing down at the ground at waist level, in one flluid motion and shot the car - the result was that good that it looked like a photo of a parked car.

04-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I couldnt be happier with the focusing speed of the Sigma 70-200 HSM II. My very first test shot was of a fast moving car going perpendicular to me at about 70 km/hr, with me standing kerbside. I saw the car from the corner of my eye, raised the lens from pointing down at the ground at waist level, in one flluid motion and shot the car - the result was that good that it looked like a photo of a parked car.
LOL - I did that too with the DA* 50-135 at the Pentax workshop (using the lens supplied by the Pentax guy) - that's what convinced me to buy the DA* in the first place.

Not only that, the K-5/DA* tracked the car perfectly as I took several shots at 7fps.

I'm generally pretty happy with SDM - okay it's not as fast as Canon USM but good enough for me.

Maybe the Sigma I tried at the shop was a dud? It did have the older firmware (wouldn't focus in Live View - another reason why I decided not to buy it).
04-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I was happy with focusing speed of the DA* 50-135 till I started using the Sigma HSM.
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #26

I have found my copy to be extremely sharp even wide open.

See the rest of the gallery for more examples, all taken wide open.
04-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CorneliusK Quote
I have found my copy to be extremely sharp even wide open.
No detail. Quite contrasty but lacking in resolution.
04-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #28

Well perhaps extremely sharp was an overstatement, but I do urge you to view the largest size. It resolves sufficiently for my portraiture needs.
04-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I did view the largest size. Pretty good for a zoom. But if you see Chrsitine's full size photos, she's expecting to see individual faces across a stadium. The 50-135 can't do that till about f5.6, some limited and some "unlimited" Pentax primes can do that wide open. I do love your shot, just talking about the lens here, which as I said, does great for a zoom.

Here's a Pentax prime wide open.

Last edited by selar; 04-23-2011 at 11:59 PM.
04-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #30
Pentaxian

@Ron - I am surprised you are considering a Sigma for sports photography. When I tested the Sigma 70-200 (which was the primary alternative I was considering) I found HSM to be painfully slow at focusing.
Well I want 300mm/f2.8 so there are limited options for Pentax. I think that HSM is very nice and fast and faster then some SDM-lenses.