Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Vivitar Series 1 fungus advice?

I came across a great deal on a screwmount Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 v1 in an old camera kit. I would love to try it out, but I can see three spots on the back side of the front element that look like fungus.

Does anyone have experience with cleaning this lens? How easy is it to do?

04-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I came across a great deal on a screwmount Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 v1 in an old camera kit. I would love to try it out, but I can see three spots on the back side of the front element that look like fungus.

Does anyone have experience with cleaning this lens? How easy is it to do?
I had one of those with a similar condition, but it was the doublet delaminating, not fungus. The spots grew to the size of a small pea and bothered ME, but they never really affected images.
04-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you take the front element off to determine that, or how did you know?
04-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
photos

After looking at it some more, I'm not sure if it is fungus. Here is a photo of the biggest spot.

In addition, this lens was stored in a bag with four other M42 Super Takumars (35/3.5, 50/1.4, 55/1.8, and 200/5.6), and they are all spotless.

Any suggestions?

04-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #5

Hmm, that doesn't look like fungus to me, probably won't affect the image quality. But if you really want to check it out I think it would be easy. Just unscrew that front ring, and there's probably gonna be another ring under it which holds the front element in place.
04-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I had one of those with a similar condition, but it was the doublet delaminating, not fungus. The spots grew to the size of a small pea and bothered ME, but they never really affected images.
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Did you take the front element off to determine that, or how did you know?
Mine looks exactly like the milky spot you have - they darker one is different. I took it in to a trusted camera dealer for his opinion.
04-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any advice on how to unscrew the front ring? I tried to find a set of calipers that would work, but all the hardware store had was plastic digital calipers. (Like we can't read a simple scale anymore?)