Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Systematic Disassembly of a Pentax 50mm F/1.4 Lens

Have anyone seen this?

"Even though the weather isn't necessarily cooperating, the time for spring cleaning is here and that goes for your gear as well as your attic. In the above Youtube video, a steady-handed DIY-er takes apart a 50mm Pentax lens to remove some pesky mold that has built up on some of the elements."

Video: The Systematic Disassembly of a Pentax 50mm F/1.4 Lens | Popular Photography

04-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #2

That's awesome! Kind of fun that the newly cleaned K-mount glass gets to take a ride on an E-mount camera. Talk about surprise endings.
04-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
What! Shichimi you spoiled the ‘surprise’ ending. :^)

I’ve never cleaned a lens with fungus/mold, but was lead to believe that mold etches the lens and will photograph when shooting at a bright light. While watching the video I did not see etching on the lens after cleaning. Guess I was corrected on that thought. I have read, place the lens on a window ledge and bleach out yellow in the glass. Will sunlight kill the mold on camera lenses? Does the cleaning solution used on the lens kill mold/fungus? Maybe I should ask, what is used so the mold does not come back?
04-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
What! Shichimi you spoiled the Ďsurpriseí ending. :^)

Iíve never cleaned a lens with fungus/mold, but was lead to believe that mold etches the lens and will photograph when shooting at a bright light. While watching the video I did not see etching on the lens after cleaning. Guess I was corrected on that thought. I have read, place the lens on a window ledge and bleach out yellow in the glass. Will sunlight kill the mold on camera lenses? Does the cleaning solution used on the lens kill mold/fungus? Maybe I should ask, what is used so the mold does not come back?
I have successfully killed light infestations of mold/fungus by leaving a lens out in the sun for several hours with the front or back cap on, depending on which side of the lens the infestation has occurred. The hyphae from newly germinated spores will, more often than not, simply desiccate and vanish. This won't work as well if the infestation is moderate-heavy or has been present for some time. Make sure that the focus point of the lens is not concentrated to the point it could start a fire.

04-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Awesome!!! thanks for sharing.
04-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting...
05-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
Forum Member

Last week I drove half way across God's green acre in answer to a Craigslist ad for a Pentax camera and 2 lenses, which ended up being in much worse shape than anticipated. But, for $20, I figured I'd take a chance and see if I could clean them up, or at least get some practice removing and replacing parts on a camera that I wasn't worried about damaging. After watching this video, I thought my first cleaning 'victim' could be the 50mm f2 fungus-ridden thing I bought. I got it all the way apart, until getting to the sealed inner element that holds the lenses. Is there a way to get the glass out without using that knife-looking spanner tool that the guy in the video uses? And does anyone know if the yellow goo that I found in the threads of the lens is a lubricant that is supposed to be in a lens or if it was something nasty that I need to completely get out of there before I put it back together.

I realize that this is a task best left to the professionals on an expensive lens, but I think I'm getting my 20bucks worth in learning experiences anyway.
05-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #8

There are a few forms of fungus which produce the acid which etches the glass. If you have one of these, the lens is probably a gonner. However, there are very many more forms of fungus which do not etch the glass and these can be cleaned quite well.

I have done several 50mm Pentax lenses for people both in M and A versions. Personally I wouldn't touch an AF one. I have also serviced/cleaned sevaeral Taks in the past. Most of my work has been with the FSU lens though mainly for Rangefinders.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
Iíve never cleaned a lens with fungus/mold, but was lead to believe that mold etches the lens and will photograph when shooting at a bright light. While watching the video I did not see etching on the lens after cleaning. Guess I was corrected on that thought. I have read, place the lens on a window ledge and bleach out yellow in the glass. Will sunlight kill the mold on camera lenses? Does the cleaning solution used on the lens kill mold/fungus? Maybe I should ask, what is used so the mold does not come back?

05-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #9

One of the problems is that it is getting harder to find good repair people in this "throw away society"

You may find some of the articles I have written here help.
PENTAX MANUALS

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by shellie Quote
Last week I drove half way across God's green acre in answer to a Craigslist ad for a Pentax camera and 2 lenses, which ended up being in much worse shape than anticipated. But, for $20, I figured I'd take a chance and see if I could clean them up, or at least get some practice removing and replacing parts on a camera that I wasn't worried about damaging. After watching this video, I thought my first cleaning 'victim' could be the 50mm f2 fungus-ridden thing I bought. I got it all the way apart, until getting to the sealed inner element that holds the lenses. Is there a way to get the glass out without using that knife-looking spanner tool that the guy in the video uses? And does anyone know if the yellow goo that I found in the threads of the lens is a lubricant that is supposed to be in a lens or if it was something nasty that I need to completely get out of there before I put it back together.

I realize that this is a task best left to the professionals on an expensive lens, but I think I'm getting my 20bucks worth in learning experiences anyway.