Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tamron 90 2.8 macro for indoor sports?

since this lens is so sharp, would it not be a good choice for indoor sports?
I like my indoor sport shots very sharp but with the slower lenses I have they are very hard to get good results with... hoping to afford one someday and get into macro as well.... 50 1.4 but I find it a little to short.. 90 seems to be just about right.

cheers and thanks

04-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That lens does have a focus limiter, which is nice, but still the long throw of the focus ring and the relatively slow AF of the K10D won't make for a great sports lens. Potentially more keepers than you're getting now, but it is hard to say. I didn't get great results from it on my K200D.

Edit: what is the bike in your sig? looks like a Honda CX650, but with bodywork we never saw in the US.
04-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You can use any lens for sports although some are going to be better at it than others. I shot an indoor school basketball game last year with a 55/2 Tak. I don't know if I would buy a 90/2.8 macro for that purpose unless I planned on using the macro most of the time and an occasional shoot for indoor sports. This is a use where a fast zoom is likely a better choice than a prime. For myself, I would lean towards the Tamron 70-200/2.8 which also has very good close up ability. It's not the cheapest choice around but you might save a little finding a used one.
04-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
That lens does have a focus limiter, which is nice, but still the long throw of the focus ring and the relatively slow AF of the K10D won't make for a great sports lens. Potentially more keepers than you're getting now, but it is hard to say. I didn't get great results from it on my K200D.

Edit: what is the bike in your sig? looks like a Honda CX650, but with bodywork we never saw in the US.
US
yes it is a Honda cx650e... was never sold in the USA, only in canada, Europe and few other countries. you guys got the cx650 custom instead..,. the Eurosport is a great bike and wouldn't trade it for anything

looks I need to save up for the k5 as well

cheers and thanks

04-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
You can use any lens for sports although some are going to be better at it than others. I shot an indoor school basketball game last year with a 55/2 Tak. I don't know if I would buy a 90/2.8 macro for that purpose unless I planned on using the macro most of the time and an occasional shoot for indoor sports. This is a use where a fast zoom is likely a better choice than a prime. For myself, I would lean towards the Tamron 70-200/2.8 which also has very good close up ability. It's not the cheapest choice around but you might save a little finding a used one.
thanks for the info... I have been using manual focus as of late for indoor sports and seem to be getting good results when I pre-focus on a spot on the court.
yes it would be mostly for macro as my kids are starting to grow out of volleyball (well one of the 3 anyway)
was just wondering if the sharpness of the macro would give me sharper shots

thanks and cheers
04-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't see why the Tamron wouldn't be appropriate.
I've done a few indoor sports shoots with my Pentax FA 100 macro (before I got a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8) and it did reasonably well with the K20D, only noise became an issue for images at high ISO, which is necessary for this setting. So a K-5 would be significantly better for you if you're going to be shooting that kind of stuff often.