Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA*50-135 autofocus repair

My lens has the intermittent problem like many other complaints I’ve read. After long storage periods I have to manually rotate the lens focus ring to get it going. My question is: Does Pentax have a solution yet? Have other users had a repair that works? Yes I have tried other SDM lenses on my K10D and they function correctly. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,

04-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is second hand and I've had it since early 2008. It initially had some hiccups where it momentarily hesitated to focus. I read (i think it was here) where there was a theory that insufficient lubrication was one reason that may cause the weak motor to sometimes fail. To counter this they suggested : Storing the lens in a vertical postion and inverting the position occasionally; avoid storing in cold areas; every 7-10 days hold the lens vertically and manual focus the lens pointing it skyward and then to the ground; then mount it on your camera and first focus it manually while pointing it skyward and then to the ground, then do the same thing with auto focus on. It might be just luck, but I've done this regularly for the past 2 years and haven't had any hiccups during this time. Having said this, I am prepared to get the motor replaced at the first sign of trouble.
04-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #3

I just sent mine to Pentax for a repair estimate. It was very slow to "wake up(15-30 seconds)" and start focusing when first attached to the camera. The focus ring seems to have about twice as much drag when manually rotating it compared to my other DA* lens but I don't know if this is normal or not. It also makes a squeaking noise when the focus motor is running sort of like a dry bushing.

I will post an update once I hear from them.
04-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
To counter this they suggested : Storing the lens in a vertical postion and inverting the position occasionally; avoid storing in cold areas; every 7-10 days hold the lens vertically and manual focus the lens pointing it skyward and then to the ground; then mount it on your camera and first focus it manually while pointing it skyward and then to the ground, then do the same thing with auto focus on.
I wish I have done that.. while not using the lens, I store the lens sideway. I wish the motor failed during the warranty period so they can replace the motor for free. I understand based on the other DA*16-50mm lens, the replaced motor seems to be holding up pretty good. I am also thinking the original motor perhaps is little weak and also heavy; hopefully the replace motor is stronger and lighter. My 50-135mm is in repair now and cost me a few hundred dollars. Hopefully it will be as good as new when I get it back.

05-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

I got the call from CRIS on Friday and was told it will be $157 to replace the focus motor. She said they will also clean and calibrate the lens to Pentax factory specs. Included is a 6 month warranty as well. I told them to go ahead with the repairs and she said it will be 4 to 6 weeks. I feel pretty good about this since I got the lens for about half of what used ones are selling for.
05-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sc00ter Quote
I just sent mine to Pentax for a repair estimate. It was very slow to "wake up(15-30 seconds)" and start focusing when first attached to the camera. The focus ring seems to have about twice as much drag when manually rotating it compared to my other DA* lens but I don't know if this is normal or not. It also makes a squeaking noise when the focus motor is running sort of like a dry bushing.

I will post an update once I hear from them.
Yeah, it's normal. It bugged me a lot at first too since i used it as a portrait lens but it's something you get used to.
05-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
hopefully the replace motor is stronger and lighter.
Stop wishing. It's not. It's the exact same motor they've been using since the lens was released, and it's just as failure-prone as the original. I've got multiple failures over the years to prove it. After the most recent failure, I had it repaired one last time and then sold the damn piece of crap on eBay. Good riddance.

05-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
Stop wishing. It's not. It's the exact same motor they've been using since the lens was released, and it's just as failure-prone as the original. I've got multiple failures over the years to prove it. After the most recent failure, I had it repaired one last time and then sold the damn piece of crap on eBay. Good riddance.
Although I'm a fan of the DA* lenses themselves (SDM issues aside), I tend to agree with Hound Tooth on this one. I have not seen any evidence that proves that the new motors are any different then the old ones, nor any evidence that suggests a replacement motor is less likely to fail than the original.
05-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #9

Hi all of you here! Today I was in the store and try out this lens, and after a minute the af did not work. I then took of the lens, put it back on and then it worked again. I have read about this problem, and I was thinking that this lens could be on of the kind that was not operating as it should. The focus ring did not stop, but was rotating further after the close and infinity mark was set, is this as it should be? The pictures was really great, so I want this stuff, but I`m very uncertain about the sdm. Any advice??
05-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sc00ter Quote
I got the call from CRIS on Friday and was told it will be $157 to replace the focus motor. She said they will also clean and calibrate the lens to Pentax factory specs. Included is a 6 month warranty as well. I told them to go ahead with the repairs and she said it will be 4 to 6 weeks. I feel pretty good about this since I got the lens for about half of what used ones are selling for.
Good to know it's this inexpensive. My last oil exchange trip to jiffy lube was more expensive than this...
05-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by prime Quote
Hi all of you here! Today I was in the store and try out this lens, and after a minute the af did not work. I then took of the lens, put it back on and then it worked again. I have read about this problem, and I was thinking that this lens could be on of the kind that was not operating as it should. The focus ring did not stop, but was rotating further after the close and infinity mark was set, is this as it should be? The pictures was really great, so I want this stuff, but I`m very uncertain about the sdm. Any advice??
So far after 2 years, i'm not having problems with either my DA50-135 or DA-300. If its raining, i always put on the DA50-135 (like last night when i was out in the rain, again), so its not like i'm babying it or anything. Wonderful optics. One just doesn't hear of any problems with the DA300, DA55, DA 60-250
05-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpdsr3 Quote
My lens has the intermittent problem like many other complaints I’ve read. After long storage periods I have to manually rotate the lens focus ring to get it going. My question is: Does Pentax have a solution yet? Have other users had a repair that works? Yes I have tried other SDM lenses on my K10D and they function correctly. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
You might want to check out https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130429-diy-sup...or-repair.html
I haven't tried it yet, but only because I have a K10D running V1.2 where the lens still works in screw drive.
05-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by prime Quote
The focus ring did not stop, but was rotating further
Yes that is normal for a "quick-shift" lens. As far as SDM, take your chances.