Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #31
Site Supporter

The FA 43 is the lens I always have on the camera unless I need something more specialized. Really a favorite. I've had the FA 50/1.4, F 50/1.7, FA 35/2, and M 50/1.7, and in my opinion the FA 43 surpasses them all in terms of IQ and build. (Well, except for maybe the M 50's build, so maybe a tie there.) I didn't find the FA 50 all that sharp unless stopped down, and it also seemed to lack in contrast at wide open (and yes I did always use a lens hood on it.) The FA 43 has good color and contrast, and yes that "3-D" look- and as far as stopped down, probably the sharpest, with the FA 35 a close second. Regarding AF speed, the F 50/1.7 seemed to be the winner there. Personally I like the FA 43's out-of-focus background better than any of those except maybe the FA 50/1.4, wide open, but again I was no big fan of that 50. If I want a really nice shallow DOF and great bokeh I use "none of the above", and go for the Cosina! But for most other purposes the FA 43 is hard to beat.

04-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
The FA 43 is the lens I always have on the camera unless I need something more specialized. Really a favorite. I've had the FA 50/1.4, F 50/1.7, FA 35/2, and M 50/1.7, and in my opinion the FA 43 surpasses them all in terms of IQ and build. (Well, except for maybe the M 50's build, so maybe a tie there.) I didn't find the FA 50 all that sharp unless stopped down, and it also seemed to lack in contrast at wide open (and yes I did always use a lens hood on it.) The FA 43 has good color and contrast, and yes that "3-D" look- and as far as stopped down, probably the sharpest, with the FA 35 a close second. Regarding AF speed, the F 50/1.7 seemed to be the winner there. Personally I like the FA 43's out-of-focus background better than any of those except maybe the FA 50/1.4, wide open, but again I was no big fan of that 50. If I want a really nice shallow DOF and great bokeh I use "none of the above", and go for the Cosina! But for most other purposes the FA 43 is hard to beat.
Can't agree more. The 43ltd does almost everything the 50 would do. Similarly, if I wanted a real cream maker, I'd skip them all and use a Revuenon 55/1.2 or 85/1.4/2
04-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Buy used. You can sell it again at no loss if you don't like it.
In principle, this is a great suggestion. The problem is that used FA43s rarely come up for sale, and when they do, the prices are often not much lower than for new lenses. Sometimes, on places like eBay, they may even be higher. (eBay shoppers are not always the brightest bulbs in the box. )

Rob
04-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Buy used. You can sell it again at no loss if you don't like it.
In principle, this is a great suggestion. The problem is that used FA43s rarely come up for sale, and when they do, the prices are often not much lower than for new lenses. Sometimes, on places like eBay, they may even be higher. (eBay shoppers are not always the brightest bulbs in the box. )

Rob
Not to mention the hassle of selling, or buying used. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a couple bucks more to avoid the trouble.

04-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Not to mention the hassle of selling, or buying used. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a couple bucks more to avoid the trouble.
More like at least 200 dollars that you are never going to see again.

The hassle is well worth the money IMHO. And if you buy smart, you can actually *make* money.

The FA 43 commonly sells for far less than the lens is new (without even taking tax and shipping into account). Just do your research before you hit the buy button.

And besides, the FA 43 is not *that* uncommon to see used. I've seen them more than once on my local craigslist, which is not exactly the best place to find Pentax gear.

EDIT: Most of those high prices you see are when you look to buy from the wrong country.
04-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

The hassle is well worth the money IMHO. And if you buy smart, you can actually *make* money.

The FA 43 commonly sells for far less than the lens is new (without even taking tax and shipping into account). Just do your research before you hit the buy button.

And besides, the FA 43 is not *that* uncommon to see used. I've seen them more than once on my local craigslist, which is not exactly the best place to find Pentax gear.

EDIT: Most of those high prices you see are when you look to buy from the wrong country.
As I write, there is exactly one used FA43 on offer in the first 7 pages of the Pentax Forum Marketplace, but only in trade for a DA*55. Perhaps the seller (in Australia) would be willing to accept cash, if the amount is high enough. There are no used lenses for sale on eBay, craigslist, KEH.com, Amazon or B&H. The reason for this scarcity is that very few people who own this particular lens ever want to part with it, and those who do expect a substantial monetary return. So anyone who hopes to purchase a used FA43 had better stay alert and act fast when one becomes available and be prepared to pay dearly for it.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-27-2011 at 07:10 PM.
04-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster

South Florida's craigslist never has FA or DA lenses for sale. I check it out often. The only pentax anything I've seen is film cameras and unremarkable lenses. Ebay is a rip. Sure the FA 43 shows up in the PF marketplace every now and then, but I'm not an impulse buyer, and someone is always sure to be more impulsive than me and jump on it. So, yeah, I think that a new FA 43 is what I'm considering.

After a few more days of catch-in-focus with the fifty, I've come to a couple of conclusions. 1) CIF still doesn't deliver crisp images indoors (for me). This is because, since it only fires when focused, you have to be shifting around to find the sweet spot, or adjusting the focus. It can hit it spot on occasionally, but for me the majority are still slightly out of focus. And I still don't like how everything is only center focused -- makes for boring shots. 2) I don't like the colors out of the M50 as much as more modern lenses. Example, yesterday I shot about 50 pictures of my daughter by a window, and then I switched to the Tamron 90mm and took a bunch more. Comparing the images with each lens was no contest. Besides being loads sharper, the Tamron had much more contrast, and less "haze". The Tamron images just looked a lot better. Maybe it's my copy of the M50? Is it the lack of modern coatings? I'm starting to think that bokeh aside, I'm growing out of favor with this lens. I'd hope that a legendary lens like the FA 43 would clearly outperform my M50.
04-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just realized what you said. B & H sells the FA 43s for $569. When have you seen a used copy for $369? I bet it's been several years, and certainly before the K-x era since a good copy has sold online for 400 or less.

04-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
I just realized what you said. B & H sells the FA 43s for $569. When have you seen a used copy for $369? I bet it's been several years, and certainly before the K-x era since a good copy has sold online for 400 or less.
I understand (and generally agree with) what paperbag846 was getting at, but you're right that there isn't a $200 spread on a new vs used FA43 right now. The spread is probably closer to $50-75 as most used FA43 lenses tend to sell for around $500-525.

That said, I always buy used lenses for the reasons paperbag846 described. Of the twenty lenses I have at the moment, only one was purchased new (the DA15), and that was only because I bought it close to when it first came out and there were no used copies on the market.
04-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Yeah i havent seen a used fa43 sell for under $500. They do hold there value quite well and do get snatched up quickly in the used market and there is quite alot of demand for them.As long as that demand is there their value will hold true.

I got pretty lucky and picked mine up from b&h new last year for $369 after using a $200 voucher(won from a contest on here)
04-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
Paperbag has a chip on his shoulder for the FA Limiteds, and he's never tried to mask it. I can't exactly figure out why, except that he has issues with them costing more than the DA Limiteds.

For any Limited lens there's not much difference in price between a new and used copy. For that reason alone they make a great investment. Add to that the image quality they produce along with their build quality and Pentax really has a winner, hence the scarcity in the marketplace and the speed at which they're picked up when listed.

I have bought a few lenses used, but as I mentioned before sometimes it's not worth the hassle. That doesn't mean that's always the case, maybe sometimes it is worth it to buy used, but I like the extra assurance I get with a warranty and a never-used lens when buying new. I don't have to worry about the history of the product.

The 43 is a great option and has always been my favorite lens. You'll definitely see the difference between it and the 50, especially indoors.
04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Yeah i havent seen a used fa43 sell for under $500. They do hold there value quite well and do get snatched up quickly in the used market and there is quite alot of demand for them.
No kidding! It took 4 months of vigilance (both here and on other sites) until I snagged a used 43 Ltd.

Over those same months, with a Wanted posting to refer to, I bugged a number of folks I know about parting with theirs (most were either leaving Pentax, selling off gear, or dropping photography in general). Of those connections, three were willing to sell, but all three had second thoughts before even a price was agreed upon! They all said "there's just something about the 43..."

Now that I have one (a silver from '97) I know what they mean. I should add this 43 to my will!
04-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I understand (and generally agree with) what paperbag846 was getting at, but you're right that there isn't a $200 spread on a new vs used FA43 right now. The spread is probably closer to $50-75 as most used FA43 lenses tend to sell for around $500-525.
My "chip" is simply a focus on price/performance.

The thing your price analysis does not take into account is tax. Tax on a 500 dollar item is substantial (moreso for a Canadian) but not to be forgotten. It makes a 80-100 dollar difference turn into a 150-200 dollar difference.

I've seen the FA 43 for slightly less than 500 dollars.

As for the difference between the 43 and the 50, well, they are very different flavours. The 43 is sharp as a tack, but I prefer the overall softness and creamy bokeh of the 50. I also think the 50 is the better deal overall (they are both VERY sharp past f2.8).

Last edited by paperbag846; 04-28-2011 at 01:06 PM.
04-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #44
Veteran Member

My "chip" is simply a focus on price/performance.

The thing your price analysis does not take into account is tax. Tax on a 500 dollar item is substantial (moreso for a Canadian) but not to be forgotten. It makes a 80-100 dollar difference turn into a 150-200 dollar difference.

I've seen the FA 43 for slightly less than 500 dollars.

As for the difference between the 43 and the 50, well, they are very different flavours. The 43 is sharp as a tack, but I prefer the overall softness and creamy bokeh of the 50. I also think the 50 is the better deal overall (they are both VERY sharp past f2.8).
For the record, I'm not the one who said you had a chip on your shoulder, so I'm not sure why you quoted my post, which for the record, was defending you preference to buy used.
04-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
For the record, I'm not the one who said you had a chip on your shoulder, so I'm not sure why you quoted my post, which for the record, was defending you preference to buy used.
Sorry I responded to two things at the same time. I quoted you because builttospill didn't really say anything of substance, but I wanted to respond to your price quotes, which are more important to the discussion here. Basically all I'm trying to say if buying used means you can avoid tax, which saves you a good chunk of cash on a 500 dollar item.