Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Not sure about you, but there will be days when its a family or relaxed day with friends and I'd not want to be bogged down with optical equipments.
In that case I'd take my P&S or even my NEX-5. The P&S is the most convenient unobtrusive option, but it is what it is. If I'm going to be fussy about image quality, then the NEX-5 will capture images on par with a DSLR in a much smaller and lightweight package. I recently acquired one to supplement my gear for street photography and I'm not the least bit disappointed with it. Came close to buying a Fuji X-100, which is another ultra compact solution to a DSLR, but I chose the NEX instead because of it's fabulous LCD, which takes the uncomfortable edge off of shooting strangers on the street.

04-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sold my 10-20 to get a DA15 a couple of weeks ago. The 10-20 gives you the wide end if you need it. It's an excellent lens and a great piece of glass for the money. I just plain shoot better with primes and went that route. The DA-15 seems to have less distortion to my eye. And it looks much sharper as well. The contrast is much better on the DA-15. I've always thought that microcontrast is as important as measured sharpness in a lens. I think that with two identical lenses the one with better microcontrast will look sharper. That's where the DA-15 wins. I also like the flare resistance, not for starbursts but just for normal shooting.
04-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Sold my 10-20 to get a DA15 a couple of weeks ago. The 10-20 gives you the wide end if you need it. It's an excellent lens and a great piece of glass for the money. I just plain shoot better with primes and went that route. The DA-15 seems to have less distortion to my eye. And it looks much sharper as well. The contrast is much better on the DA-15. I've always thought that microcontrast is as important as measured sharpness in a lens. I think that with two identical lenses the one with better microcontrast will look sharper. That's where the DA-15 wins. I also like the flare resistance, not for starbursts but just for normal shooting.
+1 Micro contrast, IMHO, is what makes a lens a real keeper.
04-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
i prefer the 15mm for its size and quality. but 15mm may not be wide enough for you, you really need to try both lenses out before you can make a decision.
This pretty much sums it up, I think. If 15mm is just not going to be wide enough for you, then that's a valid reason for going with a 8-16, 10-20, or 12-24. Otherwise, the DA15 just has too many strengths to deny what a great lens it is. I too had a 10-20 that I sold shortly after getting the 15. It's all about what you enjoy shooting with and what you get the best images with, and for me that's the DA15 in a landslide victory.

I'll have to admit that I am sometimes tempted by the 8-16, as that is a truly unique lens that can do things no other lens can. But it wouldn't be a replacement for my 15, so it's a back-burner item for me.

04-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
When people make an issue out of the size and weight of a wide angle lense, you know they are too feeble to shoot with anything bigger than a DA70.
Wow, what a great generalization, clearly based on reality.

Does it make you bitter that someone preferred another lens over your beloved 10-20mm? Is that why you're cranking up the narrow-mindedness?

I find it unpleasant to hike through the woods for 8 hours with 3 heavy lenses, especially if one is attached to the camera all the time. But with 5 tiny little Limited primes at my waist, I've got no problems at all. Makes a great match to a small/light K-5.

To each his own. For some people, size/weight is a bigger concern than being able to get a wider view. Other people prefer the presence of a heavier lens.

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 04-25-2011 at 10:42 AM.
04-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for choosing which of the two, spend some time browsing the photos in the forum and compare what the 2 lenses do best and how they would benefit your photography. I recently bought the DA 15 after kicking around the same issue. I was also considering the DA 12-24. Looking through my own photo files, most of my wide shots are landscapes and since I'm not too young, the size and weight of what I carry now makes a difference.The DA 15 was the perfect choice. Speed wasn't a factor because most of my shots are outside and f/8 - f/11. I'll also make mention that the flare resistance of that lens was also a factor as I have been shooting into the sun since my grandfather told me to never do that way back when I was a kid. Both are good lenses. An honest look at your work and what you want out of a wide lens should give you the answer.
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Sigma 8-16
Yes. Amazing lens.
04-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was quite tempted with the 8-16 and kinda kicking myself for not ordering one last week as they were 400 but have shot up to 550 within a few days.
I had a Sigma 10-20 before on a Sony and for a short time on my K20 and loved it and based on price I'd buy another hands down, but I've been slimming my kit down to take up less space and make it easier to take with me hence my DA40 Ltd which lives on the camera just now, which is why I've been looking at building a 15/21/40 and eventually 70 kit, nice small, light lenses. If I hadn't been given the opportunity of the DA15 new at 440 I'd have bought a 10-20 already, but I think from the pictures I've seen that the 15 is a better lens and I didnt use the 10-20 much wider than 15 anyway, that said even if I do go down the prime route I may pickup an 8-16 in the future if the price goes normal again!

04-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Has anyone with a Sigma 8-16 got a picture of it mounted on their camera at all? Trying to get an idea of how large it is,