Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I don't know which one I have but was only meaning up to 2.8. I don't know if I need the extra 2 stops.
If you don't know what you need it is really hard to tell you which will serve you better

04-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just to be clear, there are many many pentax 50mmF1.4 lenses as you point out, However, there are 2 versions specifcally of the super takumar 50F1.4, the earlier version is highly sought after, and has an optical design using 8 elements. It was, at the time (maybe still is) the sharpest 50mmF1.4 made.

all subsequent super takumars, s-m-c and SMC tak's plus the SMC, SMC-M, SMC-A and autofocus 50mmF1.4 lenses use 7 elements, the reason was cost.

Many of the designs ade very similar optically for all the 7 element versions, but clearly coatings will advance quite a lot.

SO when the OP asks about comparing the super tak to the tammy, the first thing you need to discuss is what version of super tak.

I have the 8 element version and the tammy,. I use them both, but notably I use the 50mmF1.4 at night wide open, so I can't compare it to the Tammy because I have a 2 F stop advantage with the Tak.

As far as I know, 8 element Takumar is more valuable because it's rare.
Sharpness-wise it should be same with 7 element Super-Takumar, not better than SMC Tamukar.
Anyway, I have all three, and it seems like it's time to shoot a test between 50mm Takumars.
:]

Last edited by alper; 04-27-2011 at 11:14 AM.