Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cromdeg Quote
hi All, i'm in the fence between these two and would like to ask people who have owned both. How do IQ compare between these lenses? I did a search here and it seems this has been discussed before but the threads are quite old and sample images are no longer available.

Virtues of having Prime vs Zoom is out of the question. I'm also not concerned with DA21's distortion or DA*16-50 faster aperture. I'm more concerned with Colors, Contrast and overall resolution. I'm leaning towards DA21, but i'd like to know how it compares with DA*.

Sample image comparison would be very helpful. Thanks guys.
IMHO this link might be useful. Check and other tests (24mm test).

Regards,
A.

04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #17

I've never tried the DA16-50, but the DA21 does make really nice starbursts.

As for choice between the two of them, my thought is that if it is for traveling, go with the DA21. I have the DA16-45/4, which I would think is smaller than the 16-50. I like to walk around with my camera in my hand, with the strap looped around my wrist. The little prime is so much easier for this, as I can hold the camera in a shooting grip and pretty much use it one-handed. Can't do that with the 16-45, as I wind up holding it by the lens barrel, which gets really tiring really fast. Also, on a small body like a K-7 it just disappears under a coat.
04-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's a lot smaller.
I was about to post that.

If you don't mind the size and weight, get the DA* as a substitute for several of the primes, but the size and weight aren't in the same universe.
05-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tsangpo Quote
I'll also disagree. This was my second limited purchase after the 40 I got with my k7 and it is easily the equal of the 40. It's only weakness that I can find is the distortion which has a very good correction available in lightroom. It also has 7 aperture blades which makes in my opinion the nicest starbursts with 14 points.

The only reason I would get the DA* over it and a 31/35/40/43 would be the weather resistant aspect.
By far, the main reason to get the DA*16-50 over an assortment of prime lenses is the convenience of a zoom lens. One should not disregard the bother of switching lenses frequently to get just the right focal length. The DA* produces very decent IQ and covers an extremely useful focal range. Weather sealing and SDM are bonuses. I have gotten many excellent images from mine, and I do not hesitate to recommend it to others.

I fully appreciate the appeal of fine, diminutive prime lenses, and I absolutely love my collection of Limiteds, but there are counterbalancing factors favoring zooms. This is just one of life's many tradeoffs. If the OP has decided on going the prime lens route, then I think that the DA21 should serve him well.

Rob