Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #1

oh so many lenses...Newbie to k10D

Hello! I'm currently a student studying photography and advertisement at a state college. Most of the photo department is using Canons. I'm a curent owner of the Pentax k10D. I love love love my camera, however I want a lens with a larger zoom. I primarly want the lense to shoot for portraits, fashion, street photography. My current lense is the one that came with the body 18-55mm. Is there a certain lens that is good for these areas of photography? I would love to here thoughts from you Pentax pros out there. Thank you so much.

10-31-2007, 12:34 AM   #2

my suggestion would be the new pentax 18-250 lens that should cover almost all your needs.
10-31-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fashionista Quote
Hello! I'm currently a student studying photography and advertisement at a state college. Most of the photo department is using Canons. I'm a curent owner of the Pentax k10D. I love love love my camera, however I want a lens with a larger zoom. I primarly want the lense to shoot for portraits, fashion, street photography. My current lense is the one that came with the body 18-55mm. Is there a certain lens that is good for these areas of photography? I would love to here thoughts from you Pentax pros out there. Thank you so much.
Certainly the new 18-250, as stated is an option. There is also the DA 50-200 and the new DA*50-135, which looks to be a very fine lens.

Since you are a photo student, I will offer another suggestion. Depending on your finances, get 2 or 3 primes in the 50 - 135mm range. The reason I suggest the primes is, it will teach you to think about focal length, and planning your shot. This little bit of education become second nature to you, and will stay with you when you move to zooms.
10-31-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can only add, Amen.

10-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks! Do you recommened staying with pentax lenses or are other brands that are less expensive equally as good? Thank you! Happy Halloween!
10-31-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

I'm a fairly new K10D owner also and have come to my decision Keep th 18-55 kit lens; add a 18-250 super zoom in the near future; down the road add a 14mm prime as fast as I can afford.
Love the camera!

Don
10-31-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I happen to think that Pentax makes some of the finest primes in the world. I like the way they render an image. That being said, Sigma,Tamron, and Tokina all make some very fine lenses. Just do some research before you buy. You can ask here, and I'm sure many people will be happy to advise you.

You know, thinking about this, all my zooms are from Sigma and Tamron, and all my primes are Pentax. Weird, huh.
10-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fashionista Quote
Thanks! Do you recommened staying with pentax lenses or are other brands that are less expensive equally as good? Thank you! Happy Halloween!
The great thing about Pentax is the backwards compatibility with 50 years' worth of fantastic lenses, most of which are very reasonably priced on the used market. Since you asked , here is the basic kit I would assemble in your situation:

Street photography: M 28mm f/3.5 (~$100)
Portraits: M 50mm f/1.7 (~$50)
Fashion: Um, I have no idea how one even goes about shooting fashion. Sorry.

Or you can pick up some old Takumar (from back before Pentax was Pentax) screwmount lenses and an adapter, and for very little money you can have the best-made, best-focusing, best-handling lenses ever made.

It takes a little more work to shoot with manual focus lenses, but in my opinion it helps one learn a lot more about the process of photography. But keep that kit lens for the convenience. It comes in handy.

11-01-2007, 01:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most of your needs would be met by Pentax lenses, both past and present. However, alternatives such as the Tameron 90mm DI macro and 18-250 are at home in anyone's camera bag.

A top lens by any manufacturer is just that: a top lens.

But bare in mind that lenses don't take images, photographers do.

Take Care

David
11-01-2007, 03:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
The great thing about Pentax is the backwards compatibility with 50 years' worth of fantastic lenses, most of which are very reasonably priced on the used market. Since you asked , here is the basic kit I would assemble in your situation:

Street photography: M 28mm f/3.5 (~$100)
Portraits: M 50mm f/1.7 (~$50)
Fashion: Um, I have no idea how one even goes about shooting fashion. Sorry.

Or you can pick up some old Takumar (from back before Pentax was Pentax) screwmount lenses and an adapter, and for very little money you can have the best-made, best-focusing, best-handling lenses ever made.

It takes a little more work to shoot with manual focus lenses, but in my opinion it helps one learn a lot more about the process of photography. But keep that kit lens for the convenience. It comes in handy.
I agree with Finn. You are already out of step with most of the other students by having a Pentax so why not go all the way and shoot with old manual primes. They will help you become more intimate with the process. I suspect a M100mm f2.8 would be a good substitute for the much more expensive 85mm. You should be able to get one for less than $100.

I think you would be making a strong statement to your instructor that you are dedicated to learning by using old prime lenses.

regards,

Ken
11-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #11

Original Poster
you guys are geniuses!!! Thank you all so much for all the great advice! I think I have learned alot abot lenses within the last couple of days from you guys and doing a little research. I really appreciate it! Happy thursday! ( =