Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions guys, my problem so far is, I can't find anything. My long lens would be used for wildlife, so slow focus would be hard to deal with. I can't find anyone in Canada who sells the Tamron converter or I'd give it a try. And image degradation will be a problem. But hey, thanks, at teh moment I'm just going to see if 250 is good enough. People have offered lots of solutions, just not any that are available off the shelf from a Canadian dealer. I watch the second hand markets, so every bit of advice helps, in that if something comes up I'll know what I'm looking at, but used Pentax equipment is darn hard to come by up here, especially since I live 300km in either direction from big centres. But when I went of the second hand shops in Ottawa looking for a Pentax 1.7, the guy has 3 people ahead of me on the list. The problem with Pentax banking on legacy lens use, is they aren't making any legacy lenses to fill the demand they create with their new bodies. I'm thinking at this point they've pretty much sold to everyone who has old Pentax glass, because so little of it is on the second hand market.

On another note... GibbytheMole, the width of your pictures is totally making this thread unreadable. Could you reduce your image sizes? I have a 27 inch monitor and they are just really annoying even though I can physically make the page work. Thanks in advance.

05-12-2011, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

On another note... GibbytheMole, the width of your pictures is totally making this thread unreadable. Could you reduce your image sizes? I have a 27 inch monitor and they are just really annoying even though I can physically make the page work. Thanks in advance.
You can limit the size of the images in the forums thread to suit your needs.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/106134-pick-maximum...ed-photos.html

Thanks,
05-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks excanonfd that was great info, and it works great.
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Sigma has the 500/4.5 available at about $5000. Also, Pentax officially removed the FA* 600/4 from the lineup about 2 years ago, it may be possible to order one via PentaxImaging at around $8500.

The stark reality is that when we start talking about long, fast, quality glass over 300mm, the size and price of those things goes up in curvilinear fashion.

05-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #65

Hi Norm,

The Tamron Pz-AF teleconverter shows up surprisingly often in the marketplace on this forum. If you're curious about how it performs I can lend you mine for a couple of weeks to try it out. The only thing I ask is: a) you pay the shipping costs and b) that you do a little controlled pixel peeping and send me some 100% crops of photos taken with this combo comparing before and after teleconverter. I'm seriously starting to look at the 60-250 to fill the gap in quality lenses I have between 135 and 200 mm for outdoor sports photography.

The Sigma 1.4 teleconverter might also work with your 60-250, although it will use screwdrive focusing instead of SDM. It is available from major online retailers such as B&H. As a piece of glass it is superior to the Tamron teleconverter. Better coatings, less internal flare, probably better resolution. Just be very careful that everything inside lines up with the back element of the 60-250. The sigma has a sleeve that extends in front of its front element which interferes with most lenses except the Sigma lenses. I've only handled the 60-250 a couple of times, and I think it should work but you would want to be very careful measuring everything before attaching this combination together.

As another point of interest, two years ago I tested the combination of the Sigma 100-400 f/4 with their teleconverter for a week and it was a pretty good combination. Not great wide open, but by f/5.6 it was really sharp with nice contrast and a fairly decent bokeh. I don' t think the Sigma 100-300 can touch the Pentax 60-250 at f/4 though. I know that the two lenses perform almost identically on the Photozone.de reviews, however the Sigma has this strange "contrast flare" (not sure what to really call it) wide open. At areas of extreme contrast, say black to white transitions on some types of wildlife - there is a ragged edge of black overlapping white. My philosophy is that you need to be able to shoot a long lens at maximum aperture to justify the weight of all that glass. The Sigma is an exceptionally fine 100-300 "f/5.6" lens, but a really heavy one.

I live in Calgary, so customs won't be an issue. The TC is very small, so shipping will only be a few bucks either way by Canada Post or UPS.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Andrew
05-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's a great offer Andrew. The guy at McBains told me I'd have rear element problems with the Kenko 2x, so I'm assuming for now I'd have to same problem with the Tamron. That also applies to the Sigma. The Pentax guy at McBains seems to really know this stuff. So forgive me if I pass on this for the moment. I'm coming in to my busy season, and I'd really like to see if I can make the 250 work without a teleconverter. But I'll definitely keep your offer in mind if I'm still dissatisfied in the fall. You might want to call McBains and see if you can talk to that guy (I wish I remembered his name.) He's had a chance to play with lots of lenses and teleconverters and has a pretty good idea what works with what. He could probably tell you if your converter works with a DA*60-250, and if it does he might even be able to let you stick your converter on one and try an few shots. I wish the had a store closer to me. I love Henrys, but they have to order their Pentax stuff in, you usually can't put it on your camera before you pay for it. Of course you can return it with no questions asked, just I live 300 km from the closes store, just way too much hassle.