Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 03:36 AM   #1

help---I only have one lens to use---

My son has his last football game this week----Thursday night at 7:00 p/m. My one and only lens, a 70-300mm lens will be arriving today or tomorrow. (if you read my previous post about the 18-50mm lens, you'll know why I only have one lens know). I know the photos won't come out perfect due to lighting at this time of night, however, I do want to try out the camera (since I have been waiting since Oct 12th for Dell to ship all of my stuff). Since this is the only lens I will have, is it possible to take semi-decent photos with it in the stadium lights while sitting in the stands?

10-31-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it will do a better job than any other lens you might use. You could always use a faster lens, but not one with a reach of 300mm that doesn't cost well over $1000. If it were me I would just crank up the ISO and shoot away.
10-31-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the possibility go to the field your son is playing at and practice.

Good luck to you and your son!
10-31-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should be OK. Ratchet up the ISO, your K100 will give you very usable images up to ISO1600. you can use 3200 in a pinch, but it will be pretty noisy. Keep the shutter speed up, stop down as much as you can, keeping the SV to a decent speed, and you should get some decent results. Check your white balance against the field lights, you might need to set a custom WB, or you could shoot RAW and fix it later.

Good Luck, and happy shooting. Hope your son's team wins.

10-31-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mom,
if you can not get 'closer' to the action and you are likely to be shooting at 300mm all the time you may also want to consider buying a monopod.
Go team!
Cheers.