Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
I've tried the most recent Sigma 70-200mm and Tamron 70-200mm at a camera shop. The Tamron is a lot slower in AF, not to mention the large focus ring rotates when the camera is doing AF (making it inconvenient). I'm hardly a fan of Sigma (and their crackle paint finish), but I would go with the Sigma in this instance because it's a lot more usable in the field.

04-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I've tried the most recent Sigma 70-200mm and Tamron 70-200mm at a camera shop. The Tamron is a lot slower in AF, not to mention the large focus ring rotates when the camera is doing AF (making it inconvenient). I'm hardly a fan of Sigma (and their crackle paint finish), but I would go with the Sigma in this instance because it's a lot more usable in the field.
The Tamron focus ring does not move while auto-focusing if used properly. If you slide the focus ring into the AF position then the focus ring does not rotate while auto-focusing. If you pull the clutch back into the MF position, then it will.
04-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The Tamron focus ring does not move while auto-focusing if used properly. If you slide the focus ring into the AF position then the focus ring does not rotate while auto-focusing. If you pull the clutch back into the MF position, then it will.
Maybe you mean the opposite (In MF it doesn't rotate but will still AF)?

Even the review on this site says:
Second, the focusing ring rotates freely when locked in the autofocus position, making it very difficult to steadily hold the lens (considering how much space the focusing ring takes up).

Edit:
I see that the non OS version of Sigma's 70-200 isn't that great optically, so that would be a big part of the decision... I might go for Tamron in that regard.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 04-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.
04-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Maybe you mean the opposite (In MF it doesn't rotate but will still AF)?

Even the review on this site says:
Second, the focusing ring rotates freely when locked in the autofocus position, making it very difficult to steadily hold the lens (considering how much space the focusing ring takes up).
No, I meant what I said, but perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been. When in AF mode, the focus ring does not rotate as the lens focuses. It is free to move if you turn it, but it has no effect on the focusing. The review is referring to this movement, but frankly I can't imagine how that would be an issue. In MF mode, however, the focus ring will rotate as the AF is focusing. This is why when using auto-focus, it's advisable to engage the AF/MF clutch and put it in AF mode to prevent this rotation.

04-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,409
I've found that Sigma is very responsive with regard to fine-tuning focus issues.
04-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
No, I meant what I said, but perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been. When in AF mode, the focus ring does not rotate as the lens focuses. It is free to move if you turn it, but it has no effect on the focusing. The review is referring to this movement, but frankly I can't imagine how that would be an issue. In MF mode, however, the focus ring will rotate as the AF is focusing. This is why when using auto-focus, it's advisable to engage the AF/MF clutch and put it in AF mode to prevent this rotation.
I'll have to get it another try in the future then. Yeah, I assumed in the article "rotates freely" meant something else. When I tried the lens in the shop I must have had it in MF mode when I checked focus speed. From your experience, does it auto-focus faster when it is locked into AF mode compared to MF mode? I remember it being slow, but maybe that was because I had it in the wrong mode.
04-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I'll have to get it another try in the future then. Yeah, I assumed in the article "rotates freely" meant something else. When I tried the lens in the shop I must have had it in MF mode when I checked focus speed. From your experience, does it auto-focus faster when it is locked into AF mode compared to MF mode? I remember it being slow, but maybe that was because I had it in the wrong mode.
I no longer have the Tamron 70-200, but as I recall it did focus slower (and a bit louder) if you accidentally left the focus-ring clutch in MF mode. That said, the AF isn't particularly quick, but it's not really slow either. For most applications I found it to be pretty decent. However, as others have said, the Sigma 70-200 is faster.
04-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Personally I prefer 70-200 range over 50-135. You might have already read HELP!!! My DA*50-135mm seems soft below f5.6
You may not have read till the end of the thread, but the unwritten conclusion at the end of the thread is that the 50-135 is pretty sharp even at f2.8. Yes it does sharpen up to 5.6, but who can complain about that?
On the other hand its been raining non-stop in Sydney since Friday night, so my Sigma 70-200 has been pretty much a shelf queen these past few days, with the 50-135 not afraid to go out in the rain.
I also found some shots of a rugby test match that I took at f2.8 with the 50-135 and with cropping they look pretty alright. I only just managed to scrape through with the 50-135 through the security gates, it would have been a no no with the 70-200. Size, or the absence of it, does matter.

Have you also considered that any of the 70-200's are likely to be too heavy to hand hold for extended periods of time. Not sure why you would need the extra reach as well, as designated wedding photographer, surely you would have access to the shooting position of your choice? The DA* 16-50 and 50-135 make the best pair of lenses for wedding photography, IMHO. Sports zooms are for fast action photography, where you might need the extra reach and the fast AF, they might be overkill for wedding photography.


Last edited by selar; 04-27-2011 at 06:24 PM.
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
The 70-200s are heavy and bulky.
That's the virtue of the 50-135.
But the 70-200 is a better range for my purposes.
As for the focus ring rotation issue, dgaies is right. I have the Tamron and it is as he says.
The focus ring does not rotate when in AF mode (on lens). In MF mode (on lens) it does. The finnicky nature of the lens requires both the lens and body to be switched to MF mode for it to be totally MF.
My experience has also been that AF on the Tamron is quite fast - and that's on the K20D. I'm yet to do an extensive job with it on the K-5...
04-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
Noisy AF on Tamron rules it out for quiet church weddings, I'm sure its not that noisy, but no noise is better than any.
The Sigma is too big and heavy to handhold, its real strength is very fast AF, which is not really required in a wedding scenario.
The 50-135 doesn't have the reach of the former two, but is that really important for a wedding? AF while not as fast as the Sigma, is quiet and sure footed. Optical quality is excellent. Light, not too big, easily handholdable for extended periods of time. The best fit for the OP's selection criteria IMHO
04-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Site Supporter
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,705
Hey Peter,
I have shot events with 3 of those 4 lenses, #1, #2, and #4. I've never tried the Sigma, but the other three are all good, IQ wise. I ended up buying the Tamron and I like the IQ a little better than the 50-135. The Tamron is the noisiest of the three, not crazy loud, but if you are in a dead quiet church, i can see how people may become distracted. Heck you could always shoot manual with the Tamron during those critically quiet moments...maybe someone will invent a lens muffler accessory for weddings, haha.
good luck deciding!
04-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 57
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Noisy AF on Tamron rules it out for quiet church weddings, I'm sure its not that noisy, but no noise is better than any.
The Sigma is too big and heavy to handhold, its real strength is very fast AF, which is not really required in a wedding scenario.
The 50-135 doesn't have the reach of the former two, but is that really important for a wedding? AF while not as fast as the Sigma, is quiet and sure footed. Optical quality is excellent. Light, not too big, easily handholdable for extended periods of time. The best fit for the OP's selection criteria IMHO
Whilst the 50-135 is obviously a suitable option for some situations, depending upon the church, it's lack of reach could be very important. 70-200 F2.8's of all brands are regularly used for weddings and portraiture. Also, I can't agree with you about a 70-200 F2.8 being too large/heavy to hand hold. I hand hold mine for hours on end when shooting sports and from my observations I'd say this is a pretty common practice.
04-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Qiki Quote
Whilst the 50-135 is obviously a suitable option for some situations, depending upon the church, it's lack of reach could be very important. 70-200 F2.8's of all brands are regularly used for weddings and portraiture. Also, I can't agree with you about a 70-200 F2.8 being too large/heavy to hand hold. I hand hold mine for hours on end when shooting sports and from my observations I'd say this is a pretty common practice.
True, but in a lot of these cases the 70-200 is used on a FF body where the reach is equal to the 50-135 on a crop sensor.

It just depends if you want the extra reach in exchange for a little extra size/weight.
04-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
With the 50-135 you would be able to shoot the full range of portraits, with 70-200 on cropped sensor, you will miss out some of the portrait focal lengths.
04-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #30
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the middle of Sweden
Posts: 39
Maybe the Sigma 50-150 should be taken into consideration?

/C
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, church, iq, issues, k-mount, pentax, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, telephoto
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Takumar-A Zoom 1:4 70-200mm Kitty Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 01-06-2011 02:35 AM
For Sale - Sold: PENTAX-A ZOOM 1:4 70-200mm Curbster54 Sold Items 3 12-02-2009 05:55 PM
Decision Sigma 70 -200 or Pentax SMC FA*star 80-200mm/f2.8 ED IF Lens campdog Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 10-29-2009 10:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top