Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aw come on...

You took 50 shots, put them in Bridge, had a good look at them, and examined them closely enough (resolution-wise) that you could declare them superior to what your 21, 40 and 70 Ltd. primes could produce?

All within 10 minutes?

I realize you have to push the new Pentax products, but if you keep it real you will have a little more credibility.

This kind of "review" bothers me more than any of RiceHigh's posts.

11-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snaggs Quote
...Will my K100D work fine with it or do I need a firmware upgrade?
It will work fine on your K100D, however, you will not be able to avail yourself to the SDM motor...just the normal screw drive slot. The SDM requires the K10D with v1.3 firmware or the K100D Super body.
11-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
You took 50 shots, put them in Bridge, had a good look at them, and examined them closely enough (resolution-wise) that you could declare them superior to what your 21, 40 and 70 Ltd. primes could produce?

All within 10 minutes?
I don't think it's that implausible.

If he had a suitable studio set up conveniently to hand, suppose the shooting took 5 minutes. That's only 1 shot every 6 seconds, which I would expect an experienced pro to be able to achieve easily if the objective is just to have a look at the sharpness.

Another couple of minutes to get them off the card, another couple to have a quick look through them and pick a few that look good. (I'm not a pro, and I can look through 50 odd shots in a few minutes and pick a good one or two in Picasa!)

And another one to form a very subjective, non-scientific initial view of the chosen ones. Especially if it really is something special at F2.8 (that one he posted is pretty good) - I think you'd notice that in comparison to other lenses straight away. I certainly notice that some of my lenses are worse than others almost instantly, and without having to examine the results at high magnification.

Plenty - especially if it was "approximately" 10 minutes. I doubt he had the stopwatch running.

I think we can cut him a little slack, and read it as a subjective first impression, rather than a review.

Edit: In fact, describing the resolution as 'incredible' in comparison to those other lenses isn't unreasonable, even if it's only approximately as good, since it's a zoom rather than a prime. It doesn't have to be better, and certainly not much better.

Last edited by ChrisA; 11-02-2007 at 10:13 AM.
11-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
I don't think it's that implausible.

If he had a suitable studio set up conveniently to hand, suppose the shooting took 5 minutes. That's only 1 shot every 6 seconds, which I would expect an experienced pro to be able to achieve easily if the objective is just to have a look at the sharpness.

Another couple of minutes to get them off the card, another couple to have a quick look through them and pick a few that look good. (I'm not a pro, and I can look through 50 odd shots in a few minutes and pick a good one or two in Picasa!)

And another one to form a very subjective, non-scientific initial view of the chosen ones. Especially if it really is something special at F2.8 (that one he posted is pretty good) - I think you'd notice that in comparison to other lenses straight away. I certainly notice that some of my lenses are worse than others almost instantly, and without having to examine the results at high magnification.

Plenty - especially if it was "approximately" 10 minutes. I doubt he had the stopwatch running.

I think we can cut him a little slack, and read it as a subjective first impression, rather than a review.

Edit: In fact, describing the resolution as 'incredible' in comparison to those other lenses isn't unreasonable, even if it's only approximately as good, since it's a zoom rather than a prime. It doesn't have to be better, and certainly not much better.
Precisely - Thank you for saying what I was going to!

11-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only important point is: The lens is really really good.
Zeiss Germany has disassembled one of these lenses and they were impressed.
So I was told by the dealer who sold Zeiss the lens.
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #21
Inactive Account

To the skeptics out there. I am a performing piano / keyboard player of over 30 years. I can tell a top quality instrument vs. average within 30sec. of playing. I think someone who has been a pro-photographer for decades can tell lens quality quickly.

Now, with that being said, I just ordered mine within the last hour and am looking forward to using it.

Have fun Ben!
11-05-2007, 04:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Well if anyone sees one for sale, or want to sell one used, let me know I am desperately in need!!
11-05-2007, 05:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm gettin close to pulling the trigger on one Was holding out for a 70-200mm, but ther optics and SDM of the 50-135mm are very tempting, even with the shorter reach. My thinking is for portrait/event photography, I could just take a step or two closer to make up for the shorter length. Also, I believe the Pentax focuses fairly close, so that would also help.

11-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

well I've been hunting all over for one
I need it for a photographic project on stage...2.8 is essential!
11-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why does it seem difficult for anyone to swallow that a seasoned professional in any field would be able to discern quality from average in the tools of their trade. I have been a photographer for over a decade and a musician for over 3 decades and I can tell which tools will provide the quality I want in very short order. How many photos do you have to look at before you can see sharpness, or the lack of it? Test target shots tell me nothing about a lens, only real photos tell me what I need to know. Ben took real photos and saw what he needed to see. I have tried this lens out at the store and will be purchasing one as soon as I have the money.
11-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
well I've been hunting all over for one
I need it for a photographic project on stage...2.8 is essential!
Hi Sub,
I sent you a PM.
11-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I posted another image in the gallery, if anyone is interested...

Ben
11-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote

All within 10 minutes?

I realize you have to push the new Pentax products, but if you keep it real you will have a little more credibility.

This kind of "review" bothers me more than any of RiceHigh's posts.
OK...I have had it "LUSK"...In your 600 and some "Odd" posts you have not posted "1" Photo..I mean not a one. I have probably been published in over fifty magazines world wide, shot some of the most prestigious ad campaigns and have been sponsored by Bronica, Fuji, Canon and Pentax...So when I SAY that I think a lens is amazing, that is what I think...Now if I say so, that means that I will use it for pro applications. Now if that is not sufficient for you that is fine by me..But don't break my F'ing balls for stating my F'ing Opinion..Get it?

You really piss me off...

Sorry to the rest of the group for blowing my horn but...

Ben
11-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I really don't understand Mr Lusk's intent of questioning your opinion. It's not a review. It's just that a statement of your viewpoint which I happend to agree with.
11-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Is he a Doubting Thomas?