Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The metering system isn't omniscient. It tries to guess how to best pick one single exposure value for the whole scene. If it (due to meter zone alignment or other arcane workings of the matrix-metering mode, or if you're using spot metering and point right ad it) picks something very dark as the basis for that exposure, the rest of the scene will be overexposed.

Generally matrix-metering is very smart, but I often prefer predictable over smart and go with center-weighted instead -- dialing in my own EV compensation where appropriate.
Matt
Thank you very much..By the way, I always enjoy reading your posts...
Tomorrow I am going to set up a tripod and learn exposure..I am sure this is where the problem lies...The camera works great in green mode and I supose I could just leave it there, but I want to learn..

11-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He pretty much nailed it. Next time your out and about try spot metering for high contrast scenes. Choose a shade of neutral grey in the scene and use the exposure lock button. Down here in NZ i can usually rely on the metering off the grass for landscapes and the road or pavement on a overcast day for city scenes. In your photo i would have metered off the doorway shadow on the left and then adjust it accordingly by opening or closing down one stop. Theres always gray cards to consider as well, just hold it infront of your lens(make sure its in the available light), meter and shoot.
11-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #108

I looked at the Exif data from the two Quiznos girl images and it is identical for both images so I think part of your problem comes from the software you use to process the images or as Egordon99 mentioned, your camera may be faulty.

Your overexposed street shot says unknown program in the Exif data. This could be a camera fault or the dial was partway between two settings. I have had that happen to my camera when I have bumped the dial without noticing. It will still take a picture most times but the results could be strange.

Try setting it up on a tripod wth a fixed scene and play with AV mode see what happens when you go from F2.8-F11 or so. If it won't work in any mode other than Green, check another lens on the camera and see if it works correctly.

That said, most of my shots have been in Green mode.

It is supposed to be nice here tomorrow so I will try and test mine out the same way. I will also try it with a 2x teleconverter.

Some other images taken with this lens are here

Eagle Fest at Mission BC

All of the hatchery images and the closeup eagle/owl shots are with the 50-135. Unfortunately, the software I use to create my site, removes the Exif data. They are not great images but they are getting better.
11-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #109
Pentaxian

K
Thanks for advice, I will surely use it..

Brian
The quiznos girls was shot in Green mode..
As for the other two pics, the over exposed photo was taken in TAV and the properly exposed one was in Green mode...

11-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #110
Veteran Member

You can use the SEL "wheel" to select your focus point . I often shoot in "P" mode . You can always hit the green button to return to the Hyper Program .
11-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #111
Veteran Member

You may also check to see if the custom function labeled 'link AF point and AE' is set to '2' (enabled). This biases the Auto Exposure system to whatever the Autofocus system has locked onto, so if you have a dark or bright object that you've focused on, such as a black t-shirt or the street-signal pole it may be trying to compensate for that.
11-20-2007, 04:22 AM   #112
Veteran Member

MYSTERY SOLVED! That's why I kept asking you what mode you were in! You selected TAv and picked a somewhat slow shutter speed and a wide aperture (in BRIGHT sunlight). The camera selected the lowest ISO, but that was still too much light hitting the sensor. I think there is some overeposure warning in the viewfinder (something blinks?) when you hit this condition.

Again (repeat after me....) UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE!
11-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianK Quote
Not on a high contrast background but 100 percent crop. I just snapped this at the Eagle Fest in Mission / Harrison BC today. I have to play around with this lens to get used to it but so far I love it. The weather has not been very nice around here so this was the first outing with this lens.

This eagle was under a tent in an educational display. He was imprinted on humans as a very young bird and cannot be released to the wild.
Download to see full size image.

Thanks, Brian. I don't see any CA. Did you remove it, or was it absent initially?

John

11-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The metering system isn't omniscient. It tries to guess how to best pick one single exposure value for the whole scene. If it (due to meter zone alignment or other arcane workings of the matrix-metering mode, or if you're using spot metering and point right ad it) picks something very dark as the basis for that exposure, the rest of the scene will be overexposed.

Generally matrix-metering is very smart, but I often prefer predictable over smart and go with center-weighted instead -- dialing in my own EV compensation where appropriate.
Matt
In your opinion would I be better off staying in TV mode and learning to use the front dial as opposed to TAV and having to figure out both?
Thanks, I value your opinion..
javier
11-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
Thanks, Brian. I don't see any CA. Did you remove it, or was it absent initially?

John
There was no CA in the Eagle shot. I try not to shoot against a bright background when ever possible and as you can see in the background here it was shot toward some bushes. I thought that there might be some around the head but nothing showed up. I normally do not do much with my images in post. If they are shot in jpg (most of mine are), I load them into Iphoto and throw away the obvious out of focus shots. I sometimes use the auto fix to brighten and or sharpen the image. I don't think I had to do anything with this shot except crop it. My goal is to learn to take better shots with the camera.

There is another shot of the eagle here Eagle Fest at Mission BC

It shows the tight DOF at the F2.8 end of the scale. Shot at 135mm F2.8 125th The eagle was not happy with lenses pointed at him so had to stay a little farther away than I would have liked. He was more upset by point and shoot cameras that had a high pitch shutter sound and were taking multiple shots.

I went out yesterday to run some tests on the lens but, as usual around here the minute I left the house with the camera, the clouds rolled in. I tryed it out shooting at a park bench in AV mode to see what difference the aperture makes.

It was not a very accurate test as it was quite cold and my hands were not working all that well. Here is the site Lens Test Pentax DA* 50-135 You can see the background clearing up at the F22 end of the scale in the zoomed images as the DOF increases.

I shot the lens wide at all apertures then zoomed at all. I tried out a teleconverter Tamron 2X AF but found it does not auto focus with the 50-135 as it does not pass the SDM power to the lens.

Last edited by BrianK; 11-21-2007 at 12:18 PM.
11-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #116

Thanks for the info, Brian. Those shots on your page look great, and they are definitely making me want to buy this lens.

John
11-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #117

Making you :-)..

This thread has left a deep hole in my pocket. The pics in the first 3 pages had me lusting after it. Then came the eagle (and the other shots Brian shared) and that did it. Lens ordered now waiting for it. To imagine that just two weeks ago I was looking to spend max 300 bucks on a used lens [not sure which one] :-(

Anyway, it looks like a worthwhile purchase. I am hoping I will be as pleased as the others who have bought it.