Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Trigger pulled!

I'm a fan! Love that bokeh

I'll probably be doing an official LBA post in the next day or so. More shots from my first outing here:

Gallery of 50-135mm

11-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Out of Control

Egordon has got it going

How much PP work if any???

Awesome
11-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Haha! One of my local friends also bought one (from the same shop) today! About the only PP I do is ACR adjustments (usually just on the first tab) and then I run the RAW file through AbsoluteSharpening in CS3. That's it!

Here's another similarly "bokeh'd" shot -
11-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
OK...I have had it "LUSK"...In your 600 and some "Odd" posts you have not posted "1" Photo..I mean not a one. I have probably been published in over fifty magazines world wide, shot some of the most prestigious ad campaigns and have been sponsored by Bronica, Fuji, Canon and Pentax...So when I SAY that I think a lens is amazing, that is what I think...Now if I say so, that means that I will use it for pro applications. Now if that is not sufficient for you that is fine by me..But don't break my F'ing balls for stating my F'ing Opinion..Get it?

You really piss me off...

Sorry to the rest of the group for blowing my horn but...

Ben
Hi Ben,

I won't take any umbrage at anyone for experessing their negative personal feelings on this forum.... but I have to emphatically agree with your assessment of this lens. I received mine several months ago... and though I don't use it too much I new from the first review of the images that it was one of the bests zooms Pentax has ever produced. And like you I have made my living with lenses (Pentax lenses in my case) for thirty years. Like you, and what other members have stated... when your lively hood depends on the tools you use... you know what quality is.

Forum members here should remember your honest assessment of the DA 21mm earlier this year when you stated that several had to be returned by you because that particular run wasn't up to usual Pentax snuff. You called it like it was and I really respected your candor and honesty on that issue even if Pentax probably didn't.

It has been years since I have done fashion work in NYC, but I thought you just might like to see the coif on a model I recently hired out here in the boonies Shot her with the DA* 50-135. Hmmm.... looks like you could count evrey feather on her body.

Anyway, keep the comments coming.

Stephen

Attached Images

11-07-2007, 03:11 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Stephan

I love the "Hair Duck" Who was the the "Coiffeur"? Mods Hair, Vidal Sasoon or What?

Great Shot..Even if it was only the 50-135 piece of Cow Doo....

Ben
11-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Sheesh, she's prettier than some of my dates back in high school!

Anyway, I just checked and my FedEx truck delivery is half way to my house with my very own cow Doo!
11-08-2007, 02:20 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now.. Now chil.....people! Lets not get too hasty here, I can recall Tom posting many fine bird photos and I note his post contains a link to the pentax gallery.

Many of us would perhaps say things differently if we had our time over again.

Let us just rejoice in the fact that now we have a stellar lens in the 50-135 and look forward to seeing many, many great shots from it...afterall egordon has laid the challenge down very firmly with some great LBA ( I mean ONLY LBA) shots.

As for me.......I'll just battle on with my 'ol ds and 18-125.........................while you guys post all these marvellous images with your K10 & 50-135.....(groan)
Cheers.

11-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #38

Well, I for one was on the fence about this lens with some people saying it 'isnt up to the level of the fa* lenses' and others saying 'greatest thing since sliced bread (maybe better)'.

I can not speak for anyone else, but I have had to save for the better part of a year to have enough money for a 'good' lens and I didn't want to purchase the wrong one. I had been waiting for the 80-200 EX DG Sigma f2.8 (which now seems to have gone away, Sigma doesnt even list the Pentax mount as coming soon on that lens anymore) as well as other longer $800.00 to $1000.00 lenses then the 50 - 135 FA*.

However, I respect Ben's ability, skill and opinion enough that his satisfaction with it was what pushed me toward purchase.

It arrived yesterday and as soon as I got home I corralled my daughter and tried it out..

This is the result (in jpeg straight from the camera only PP was to shrink it).

I am now fully aware that any shortcomings in photos taken with this lens are a result of my lack of skill and NOT this really sharp lens.

Thanks Ben!

-John

Last edited by tobiasj; 11-08-2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammer (GAH!)
11-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tobiasj Quote
Well, I for one was on the fence about this lens with some people saying it 'isnt up to the level of the fa* lenses' and others saying 'greatest thing since sliced bread (maybe better)'.

I can not speak for anyone else, but I have had to save for the better part of a year to have enough money for a 'good' lens and I didn't want to purchase the wrong one. I had been waiting for the 80-200 EX DG Sigma f2.8 (which now seems to have gone away, Sigma doesnt even list the Pentax mount as coming soon on that lens anymore) as well as other longer $800.00 to $1000.00 lenses then the 50 - 135 FA*.

However, I respect Ben's ability, skill and opinion enough that his satisfaction with it was enough to push me toward purchase.

It arrived yesterday and as soon as I got home I corralled my daughter and tried it out..

This is the result (in jpeg straight from the camera only PP was to shrink it).

I am now fully aware that any shortcommings in photos taken with it are a result of my lack of skill and NOT this really sharp lens.

Thanks Ben!

-John
Hi John;

Really nice image. You captured your daughter marvelously. I'm glad you are enjoying your new creative toy...

Best Wishes
Ben
11-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Folks.
I had logged on to see if anyone has had any luck with the 50-135 f/2.8 as I also ordered one of these ''Cow Doos'' today and I look forward to getting it...I was told I could pick it up Sunday at Samys camera...To be sure, this is what I ordered.
Pentax SMCP-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens Part Number 21660 @ samys.com
11-09-2007, 06:31 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi Folks.
I had logged on to see if anyone has had any luck with the 50-135 f/2.8 as I also ordered one of these ''Cow Doos'' today and I look forward to getting it...I was told I could pick it up Sunday at Samys camera...To be sure, this is what I ordered.
Pentax SMCP-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens Part Number 21660 @ samys.com
Well, thats what I bought, though at a better price then I got.

I dont know about luck, but I am impressed at how much better my shots look taken with this lens than any other one I have... I wise man once told me:

"Camera bodies are camera bodies but GLASS is where it's at."

Nothing has driven that point home more than comparing the DA*50-135 to the Ricoh 70-200 (MF) or the Quantaray 70-300 lenses I was using. There is NO comparison to it. It's far sharper then my Sigma EX DG 18-50 f2.8 (at 50mm anyway, no fair comparing apples to cheddar cheese) and I thought that was sharp...

So now that I am spoiled it's time to look into saving for other good glass...

-John
11-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Just received mine for a tidy $834.59 to my door. I honestly can't give my opinion on it yet as the weather is about as bad as it can get. I managed to quickly snap the picture below. Not bad for running up and snapping.

Last edited by magnum1; 11-09-2007 at 05:34 PM.
11-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #43
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Don't worry Ben, he probably was critical of his mother for his very birth.... you are right, where are his images...??
Senseless post. Tom made a point based on the knowledge that Benjikan is a well-known photog affiliated to Pentax and hence a non-objetive opinion. Whether or not Benjikan was being 100% honest with his first post is something that I dont know and that I dont care. Things were going nasty between them but I dont see why should anybody besides Benjikan go personal with him.

BTW, I saw a lot of pictures of Tom in the Pentax Photo Gallery, where are yours?

Bests
11-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Folks
Picked up my ''cow doo'' today and I must say, that I am really impressed by the build quality, the feel. and the sharpness of this lens...Here are some quick snap shots I took on my way home from samys...

Shot this out the window of my truck...

Here is another snapshot out the window of my truck

Here is a snap shot at 50mm

Here is a snap shot at 135mm

Here is a snap shot at 50mm

Here is a snap shot at 135mm

I am impressed by this ''cow doo''
11-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Senseless post. Tom made a point based on the knowledge that Benjikan is a well-known photog affiliated to Pentax and hence a non-objetive opinion. Whether or not Benjikan was being 100% honest with his first post is something that I dont know and that I dont care. Things were going nasty between them but I dont see why should anybody besides Benjikan go personal with him.

BTW, I saw a lot of pictures of Tom in the Pentax Photo Gallery, where are yours?

Bests
http://www.pentax.fr/_fr/photo/photographes.php?photo&photographes