Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jena Quote
I look forward to your views on this lens. I am saving for this one to complement the 50 - 135 which is superb.
I will post my opinion once I have tried it for at least fifteen minutes. Ten minutes seemed to cause some consternation. I figure if I give it about 50% more time the level of plausibility will increase as well...

11-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #77

Thanks to everyone who have posted shots with this lens. Would anyone be so kind as to post some shots at 100% crop that show extreme local contrast variations (like a the edge of a sunlit white object on a dark background, the moon, or a streetlight at dusk)? I want to get a feel for how this lens handles CA (something that probably shouldn't bother me, but does).

Much appreciated,
John

Last edited by button; 11-15-2007 at 04:19 PM.
11-16-2007, 06:10 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
You know I love your pictures Ben. I really do. I was refering to Matix comments on Tom. I think that you both are great photographers, of course I have my preferences but I wont tell this work is better than this other or where are your pictures or my **ck is bigger than yours. I think that somebody with lots of experience can discern if a lens is good or not faster than an unexperienced one, but I also understand that an interested part is not the person to trust when that person is trying to sell items. Now, if you tell me your opinion on, say, the Zeiss Flektagon 20 f4 I will believe every point and I will adore you even more.
You realize that says more about "our attitudes" then Ben's.....
11-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Dam! what a fine lens and the resolution is incredible, thanks all for sharing the pics and opinions. I was sold on the 77 till i saw this post...might wait a lil and see whats around the corner now

11-16-2007, 07:23 AM   #80
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
You realize that says more about "our attitudes" then Ben's.....
Realized
11-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Last night i was using this lens on my K10D and was surprised how much faster it uto focused on my K100D super..I thought it would have been the same. Is their a firmware update for the K100D super? Does anyone know and use it on the super?
11-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #82
Inactive Account

Does your K10D have the latest firmware (1.30) ? Otherwise it's just using the old motor-in-the-body screwshaft focus mechanism. I believe the K100D super comes "SDM-enabled" from the factory.

My 50-135mm focuses really fast on K10D with SDM (Firmware 1.30)

11-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Does your K10D have the latest firmware (1.30) ? Otherwise it's just using the old motor-in-the-body screwshaft focus mechanism. I believe the K100D super comes "SDM-enabled" from the factory.

My 50-135mm focuses really fast on K10D with SDM (Firmware 1.30)
Yes, I do have the Latest on my K10D and it focuses really fast..So much so that I noticed it focuses allot faster than it does in my K100D super...Infact I see no difference between the focus speed of my k110d and my K100D Super and I do have the super..
The firmware on my K110D is 1.02
The firmware on my K100D super is 1.00
When I go to pentax website, I see no firmware upgrade for the K100D super

Thanks a bunch for the help.
javier
11-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
Thanks to everyone who have posted shots with this lens. Would anyone be so kind as to post some shots at 100% crop that show extreme local contrast variations (like a the edge of a sunlit white object on a dark background, the moon, or a streetlight at dusk)? I want to get a feel for how this lens handles CA (something that probably shouldn't bother me, but does).

Much appreciated,
John
As I am extremely busy at this moment, I don't how too much time for an in depth test. When I can find some spare time I will try to prepare more images for you to scrutinize.

Best Wishes
Ben
11-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
As I am extremely busy at this moment, I don't how too much time for an in depth test. When I can find some spare time I will try to prepare more images for you to scrutinize.

Best Wishes
Ben
Thanks, man- no hurry!

John
11-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #86

Can anyone reply or answer to how this lens compares to the "prime" lens or "limited" lens lineups within the same range? I am getting really confused about the lens differentiations ie "prime", "limited", "star" etc ...
11-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #87
Inactive Account

I simply bought 50-135, instead of 77 Limited. Had them both in hands for a week or so, but AF is so much faster, and versatility of a zoom is nicer to use, resolution on par, and sharpness to die for, ah, in love with that zoom
11-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by weaponx525 Quote
Can anyone reply or answer to how this lens compares to the "prime" lens or "limited" lens lineups within the same range? I am getting really confused about the lens differentiations ie "prime", "limited", "star" etc ...
"Prime" is usually a name applied to fixed focal length lens, i.e. non-zooms.

Star and limited are marketing monikor's applied by Pentax to some of their lenses. At a minimum it implies they are a bit special. If you are a cynic you will say 'special high price', otherwise you will say 'special high performance'.

Pentax has often made similar in function lenses with different performance levels
and applies the * (star) to the high performance ones. For example the focal length range
of the basic 'kit lens' and the DA* 16-50 isn't much different but the price difference is eye opening. The limited moniker has usually been applied as a marketing label to high priced primes of odd (or maybe I should say 'non-traditional') focal lengths. The thing that makes them special may not be 'high speed' but in same cases has been uniquely small size such asa the 'panacake' lenses.
11-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kresica Quote
I simply bought 50-135, instead of 77 Limited. Had them both in hands for a week or so, but AF is so much faster, and versatility of a zoom is nicer to use, resolution on par, and sharpness to die for, ah, in love with that zoom
I have both lenses and have parked my 77 as well...That 50-135 is simply an amazing lens...
11-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #90

Not on a high contrast background but 100 percent crop. I just snapped this at the Eagle Fest in Mission / Harrison BC today. I have to play around with this lens to get used to it but so far I love it. The weather has not been very nice around here so this was the first outing with this lens.

This eagle was under a tent in an educational display. He was imprinted on humans as a very young bird and cannot be released to the wild.
Download to see full size image.