Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
77mm Black or Silver

I did a quick search and am sure I missed the discussion so I will ask again. I am starting a search for a 77LTD. What is the difference between the black and the silver version? Is there a big difference? What would you recommend? Do you own either?

Thanks in advance.

PS if you have one for sale drop me a PM.

10-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

The color, and the price (sometimes the black is a bit more).
I prefer black myself...
10-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

BLACK

That is what I would choose. Nice with the body..
10-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #4

You may have seen it already, but there's a really nice silver one for sale on eBay right now, complete with a silver-rimmed UV filter on it. It looks really nice, and I bid on it, but just got outbid this morning, and I don't want it THAT bad.

Who knows...maybe this is what prompted your thread in the first place.

Rare! Pentax SMC FA 77mm f1.8 Limited Mint! B+W Filter - (eBay item 120176086373 end time Nov-01-07 10:14:14 PDT)

How much should one of these go for, anyway?

10-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Pat,
You must be in happy camper after what the Sox did to the Rockies

I just love the look of silver on a black body, don't you?

10-31-2007, 07:16 PM   #6

Hi there everyone!
I received mine today from Adorama - ordered on Monday. What a beautiful, black piece of craftsmanship! It's heavier than my 16-45 and 50-200, but just shouts quality, from its bag, lined cap and built-in hood!
I have already taken every shot my family will tolerate or stay in one place for!

I personally chose the black over the silver, just love the continuity of one solid instrument dedicated to beautiful images.
10-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all and Yes roscot RED SOX NATION is VERY VERY HAPPY

hmm so really it comes done to what color I want? quality is the same with each?
10-31-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
and
Veteran Member

Well its the same lens...

11-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Thanks all and Yes roscot RED SOX NATION is VERY VERY HAPPY
Don't take it personally, Patrick, but this week I hate your Red Sox. In a few months, I'll be fine. At least the Rockies were closer than the Cubs have been in a long time.

Oh, and I prefer the black. The few weeks that I possessed (not owned) a black FA31 were very nice.
11-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I prefer Silver, and can't wait until I can afford one
11-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh Ericc, I understand and would never take it personally especialy since we won The Cubs will have thier year someday and be done with the goat! ( I think it was a goat that cursed your Cubs)

Well, I think it is 50/50 on the color of choice. STu I have a line on the Silver so just need to get authorization from the accoutant. (Not sure I can afford it yet either) I will keep you all posted on what I go with.

Until then ..... STILL CELEBRATING IN BOSTON!!!
11-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pat: I got the black because that's what was available. I don't think they are making the silver any more so if you have a chance to get one for the same price as the black I'd go for it as it probably will be more of a collectors item at some future date. The two are identical except for color. And I too am very happy even if I live about 5 miles from Yankmee stadium!

NaCl(how 'bout them Sox!)H2O
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
What is the difference between the black and the silver version? Is there a big difference? What would you recommend? Do you own either?

Thanks in advance.

PS if you have one for sale drop me a PM.
Personally I think the difference is quite big. The black is significantly and verifiably more black than the silver. The silver one is only a bit black, whereas the black one is very black.

Me, I'd go for the black, unless I had a shiny silver LX Millenium edition to use with the silver... mmmmmmm
11-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Pat: I got the black because that's what was available. I don't think they are making the silver any more so if you have a chance to get one for the same price as the black I'd go for it as it probably will be more of a collectors item at some future date. The two are identical except for color. . .
I agree with Salty here. I have the black version. For a long, long time, the black version was only available in Japan. A lot of us thought at the time that Silver looked too tacky on the D and DS. We wanted Black, and "screamed and screamed" for it to be available to us. Pentax listened, and started exporting the black version. So, I got one. Beautiful lens. Only one regret...

I sort of wished I had gotten the Silver one. Silver is so unique, and this lens is of such high construction quality, that I really suspect that in the far future, the silver version will be worth much more than the black version. Everybody has black lenses...very few have silver ones.

If I do go ahead and get a 43mm in the future...it will be a silver one. (But, I'm not selling my black 77. It takes great pictures!)
11-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Zap. Good point

Steven I think your right. I will place a requistion order tonight. I will go with hey, it is on sale and will be a collectors item soon.

Wish me luck.