Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Do some AF lenses focus better than others?

Was invited to a wedding and took some pictures. It was overcast, in the evening, not night but rain storm coming so dark light that.

Anyway, most pictures were in focus if they were further away from the camera. Others, closer to the lens, did not focus. I mean they were slightly out of focus. Of course these were the important shots. I don't even know if the distance had anything to do with it.

I am frustrated. I was frustrated with my mf lenses because I can't focus fast enough to catch anything. Now I'm no good with the AF.

I was using the k-x and the kit lens 18-55.

04-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

The K-x has a hard time focusing in dark situations. If you pop up the flash, it will flicker to assist in autofocus. Most of the times, objects further away are in focus because the focus is at/near infinity so everything far away is in focus. The camera relies on contrast to focus on.

Your close shots may be blurred rather than out of focus. In low light try using Tv with a shutter speed around 1/60. This may require a higher iso, but it would reduce the blur some what. Hold down the shutter button for 1-2 seconds until you see the "hand" before taking your shot.
04-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that when very close to a subject camera movement toward and away from the subject becomes critical. While SR can manage most issues of camera movement in the horizontal and vertical directions parallel to the focal plane it cannot manage and is not intended to manage motion toward and away from the subject. Before blaming the lens make sure it is not your technique
04-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Note that when very close to a subject camera movement toward and away from the subject becomes critical. While SR can manage most issues of camera movement in the horizontal and vertical directions parallel to the focal plane it cannot manage and is not intended to manage motion toward and away from the subject. Before blaming the lens make sure it is not your technique
Well I was only hoping it was partly the lens. That's why I said I'm no good with either MF or AF.

04-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another common issue is that DOF gets shallower when you are closer to the subject. t often happens that AF focuses on, say, an outstretched arm, and the face ends up being out of focus. You do have to *think* about focus and what the issues are likely to be; you can't just assume pointing your camera in the general direction of the subject will result in the specific *part* of the subject you care about being in focus. That's just a fact of life when dealing with cameras with sensors larger than typical P&S cameras - DOF is just a lot shallower, so "close enough" often isn't when it comes to focus.
04-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Another common issue is that DOF gets shallower when you are closer to the subject. t often happens that AF focuses on, say, an outstretched arm, and the face ends up being out of focus. You do have to *think* about focus and what the issues are likely to be; you can't just assume pointing your camera in the general direction of the subject will result in the specific *part* of the subject you care about being in focus. That's just a fact of life when dealing with cameras with sensors larger than typical P&S cameras - DOF is just a lot shallower, so "close enough" often isn't when it comes to focus.
So how do I do it? Do you just point the center at whatever you want in focus (as obvious as it sounds)? I suppose I did just point it at the subject in general instead of focusing on the face. I need to be more careful.
04-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If all else fails, centre point should be selected, point your subject right at the centre of the frame, shoot, then crop as necessary. But it will always be better to compose your image the way you want before the shot, so use AF point selection if you're comfortable using it.

Also, be weary of the moving subject in low light - it will cause you to tear your hair out trying to lock focus on it...

04-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
Can you point at subject's face, focus then recompose and it still work?
04-28-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
Can you point at subject's face, focus then recompose and it still work?
It depends how much you recompose and how large of an aperture you're shooting with. If you're shooting with a very large aperture you won't have very much depth-of-field (DOF). So if you focus on someone's face and then recompose a significant amount, you may find the face no longer in focus. If this is the case, selecting the focus point would be a better option. That said, if you aren't shooting with very thin DOF, focusing and recomposing will probably work just fine (I do it quite often).
04-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Right - slight concern about slight shift in focus plane when recomposing, but insignificant in practice most of the time. There is a somewhat greater a risk when pointing at the face that the camera might focus on the background instead if the face doesn't take up enough room the completely cover the focus "point". Trial and error will show you how big the focus points are. Another trick is to aim direct at the stomach.

But the bottom line is, you do have to actually learn how your camera's AF system works in order to get best results.