Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
Pentaxian

If you want a FA31 then it is far cheaper to buy one now than stuff round with 30ish something's than will just be expensive stepping stones to getting the lens you actually want.

Believe me, I'd bought almost all the da ltds and now I'm buying the FA ltds as well because I'd convinced myself the da's were "good enough". That was an expensive piece of thrift.

05-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How long has your B+H order taken to get to Australia

Arrgh, still waiting on shipment, status hasn't changed for like 3 days!
It is on the 5-7 day option vis USPS.
Left USA on 3rd have been driving myself insane watching the tracking.
We leave for our trip on 15th so I'm praying for no hold ups in Australian customs.
Anyone here give me an idea how long their purchase took so I can quit worrying
05-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I paid for 2nd day UPS air and got it exactly on time. Of course, there was a weekend in between shipping and delivery that drove me nuts - I could see it in Philadelphia on Friday and had visions of it not being delivered on Monday. But it flew to California on Sunday, moved to LA and then delivered on Monday like it was scheduled.

Mine was back-focusing with my K5, so I was feeling somewhat ambivalent about the lens (also wasn't quite sure how to make the most of it). I spent most of the week until today just taking dumb pictures around where I work, trying to decide what was going on. Today I spent lunch adjusting the focus and now I'm in awe of the lens - I'm going to have a great time with it.

Depending on the USPS method they used, it may not show tracking beyond leaving the country. I spent a couple of anxious days once when I shipped a camera that way to Canada - it left the country right away and then there was nothing posted until I heard from the person I sold the camera to that it had arrived.
05-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see, good to know, will be looking out for it then.

05-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Anyone here give me an idea how long their purchase took so I can quit worrying
I put in an order about 3 weeks ago. Order placed Tuesday, Package arrived Friday. 5-7 day UPS I was glued to the tracking web site from the moment I ordered it! (Not to mention skipped a couple classes on the friday to be there when it arrived )
05-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh no. maybe held up at customs which would mean $$$
05-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #37
Site Supporter

only if your package was marked as more than $1000.. well i think thats how the system works
05-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #38

Photos: Gallery
FA31 - You won't regret it!!

I just wish I had kept my silver one as well as the black one. It would have looked much better on a silver K5 body

Kim

05-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
You've certainly summed up the practical side of the various lenses quite well. But there's an emotional side that can't be quantified at all, and there's no "one answer fits all" to that.

I have the DA 35 Macro and have quite enjoyed it over the year or so I've owned it. At the time I got it, I got a reasonably good deal on it and hoped that it would stop my itch for the FA 31, which was the lens I REALLY wanted. It was all so practical to settle for this lens, and in many ways I'm glad that I did get it, it convinced me that this focal length worked really well for me.

However, it didn't stop my itch for the FA 31, I couldn't stop hearing it call my name. So now I'm anxiously checking B&H's website every half hour, hoping that the tracking number that they posted sometime overnight will show a receipt by UPS and hoping that perhaps it will get into their system in time for a Friday delivery instead of Monday.

For me the answer is follow your heart if you can - you'll end up going there anyway and by not taking side-roads, you'll ultimately save yourself time and money.
I can exactly echo everything mtngal has said except instead of the DA 35/2.8, I first got the FA 35mm f/2.0 and when that didn't work I got the DA 35mm f/2.4. Of the two I actually like the DA better so I will soon be selling the FA 35mm. However I am still lusting after the FA 31mm f/1.8, which I will get at some time. Also unlike mtngal I'm still lusting.

NaCl(my very next purchase after a K-5)H2O
05-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I can't really comment on the other lenses but I did buy the DA35 2.4. Before purchasing I did research on the DA35 Macro. and the Sigma. I think what it really comes down to is if your willing to spend the cash. I could not justify it because of my situation. However, if money isn't an issue then my choice would be.

FA31 1.8
DA35 Macro 2.8
Sigma 30 1.4
DA 35 2.4

All the lenses are excellent in terms of IQ somewhat less on the DA35 2.4 but still very good. However, the speed gains from the DA35 macro and the DA35 2.4 is very little but IQ really does make up the difference.
05-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #41

Don't underestimate the Sigma 30 1.4

I have the sigma 30 1.4 and I must say that it is brilliant!! It's not a 31, but if you are after a fast lense and you don't like to use flash. This is the only choice in the market. Its ability to isolate subjects, its smooth bokeh (8 blade aperture) and it's the cheapest 25-35mm for APS-C with the fastest speed.... I don't think it is fair to compare it to the legendary 31, but it definitely standout as an unique product for the APS-C.

Anyway my objective is to own a fast normal lense (for an APS-C) with good indoor capability for capturing kids. After almost 4 months and 8000 clicks, I think the combination between sigma 30 and K-R has exceeded my expectation.

To be fair I have an excellent copy...... as I don't need to micro-adjust my K-R and the centre sharpness is sharp even @ max aperture. Since I have Lightroom beforehand, distortion correction is not part of the cost for me to change to Pentax
05-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its at customs now! Arrived in Oz 4 pm yesterday! Will proberly get here tommorrow unless issues at customs, should be fine as including delivery still under $1000 AUD thanks to Aussie dollar.
05-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back on topic - 30s to 35s

Artifarty- Totally agree with you on that one and would still be the one I would buy had the price of the FA31 stayed high.
Something else that swayed me was I will probably use for abit of landscape and architectural shooting too not that the Sigma can't do that, just something the FA excells at.
Also I really see this as being my one FA ltd (touch wood) so may aswell have my best lens in my most used focal length.
(will probably grab a fast 50/55 after our trip which will serve as my fast portrait lens)
05-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well....its here! No excess duty which is great.
Had abit of a play just waiting for a half decent shot to post as my 1st forum photo post

Initial impressions are this thing sucks light in, normally when I'm in shadow during the day I start getting my flashing under exposure so up goes iso where today I also got flashing exposure only it was 'over' exposure!(this was mainly above 2.8) So up went shutter speed!
I also do alot of wide perspective type shots and it was great being able to get creative with a shallow depth of field.
Also this thing is small! And doesn't feel heavy on the K7, havn't tried it on the Kx yet, which will be cool as I have always struggled with one dial now I can use the dial for shutter speed and use aperture ring instead.
One disappointing thing which was an assumption of mine was the built in hood, I thought it retracted! So here I was thinking I would pop my 72mm ND and polarizing filter on via my filter adaptors, no can dooo!
Oh well, probably wont get a decent shoot out till after work.
05-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Enjoy your new FA31, and don't be afraid to use it under f/2.8, that's where the magic is