Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Problems with Pentax-A lens on K100D

I just got a Pentax-A 50mm f/2 on ebay. I put the lens on my K100D and have had difficulty taking pictures. I have figured out how to set the aperature from auto to manual by pushing the little button on the aperature ring. My problem is that when set the aperature to A (auto) or set the aperature manually and I push the shutter release - sometimes I get a picture and sometimes nothing happens. I have tried several exposure modes, Av, manual, etc, to no avail. What do I have to do to get the camera to take a picture when I push the shutter release everytime? Right now I don't know why some times it takes a picture and some times nothing happens

Or did I just get a bad lens on ebay?

Thanks,
Franks

10-31-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens mount?
10-31-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Problems with Pentax-A Lens

Ther is a good Pictorial guide to using manual lenses on the K100d in the dpreview.com forum.I am contemplating purchase of aK100D after rescuing some old Pentax lenses I bought in Singapore while on R&R fromVietnam in the 60's.
10-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

With this lens leave the aperture on "A" always. You can control the aperture through the Av wheel as you would do with a DA lens.

The reason you are not able to fire the shutter always is most likely because you have the focus control set to auto focus (single) on the camera. In this mode you can only take a shot when the camera thinks it is in focus.

If you set the control to manual focus you can fire the shutter anytime.

But the auto focus setting can be useful for "focus trap" capture: press the shutter as you slowly turn the focus ring.... when the camera thinks it is in focus you will see the green hexagon light up and the shutter will fire. Even in manual focus you can still use the green hexagon to help with focus confirmation...... note the green hexagon/NOT the red square.

btw focus confirmation works only of centre point with this lens.

10-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, if the lens is set to something other than 'A' it will not fire unless you set a certain custom function, I forget whcih it is on the K100. Then it'll work, but to meter you would have to change to 'optical preview', stop the lens down, change the shutter speed til the EV rating is at '0', then take the picture- quite the pain. stick with the 'A' setting.
10-31-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The reason you are not able to fire the shutter always is most likely because you have the focus control set to auto focus (single) on the camera.
This was the problem. I knew you guys would come through with the answer.

Thanks for your help.
Frank