Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

I'll suggest that what we consider general-purpose is more a matter of personal experience and comfort than of any intrinsic optical qualities. That's why I use a lens-of-the-day strategy, to expand my comfort zones and push my expectations. And I learn that non-standard FL's, and projector-enlarger lenses, deliver fine results in varied situations. For example, a 105/3.5 EL on bellows might seem a limited tool. Instead, I find that the expanded focus range and different tactile sense are liberating. No, it's not for 3/4 portraits in a small studio space, but neither are 70-77-85mm lenses. So I just change the space I work in, or change my framing, whatever it takes.
It is hard to argue that different focal lengths do not have different uses and different limitations. 77mm (116mm equivalent) is not the sort of lens that most people would walk around with on a daily basis, unless they were primarily interested in taking portraits or moderate telephoto shots of buildings, landscapes etc. Yes, one could choose to use it exclusively, but I don't think that most people would do so. That is why I do not consider it a general purpose lens. It is more of a special purpose lens--and a very fine one, at that. If I'm shooting birds, then I might keep a 300mm lens on my camera full-time, but I still would not call it "general purpose."

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 06-22-2011 at 09:56 AM.