Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I went for the lenses/body deal!

Well I know I have been talking about a lens deal last week and so today I finally went down to the pawn shop and got them, the Pentax ZX-7 with the Sigma 28~80mm, f 3-5 (with macro) was being sold for $49 and the Pentax ZX-30 with the Tamron 28~200mm, f-3.8 (with macro) was going for $59.
I originally wanted just the camera with the tamron but the guy wouldn't come down on his price, but he was willing to deal on both cameras and lenses, he made a deal for $90 for all of it! so I knocked him down by $18.
Well I got home and started taking lots of sample images and comparison shots to my kit lenses and here is what I came up with. (my kit lenses are the DAL 18~55mm & 50~200mm)
To me the image quality is very similar, the kit zoom will reach a little further and the Tamron gets lens flare easier but the build quality seams way better albeit rather heavier than the plastic kit lens, but either way I am rather happy with my new zoom, it will make an awesome walk around lens for the meantime.
I was rather impressed with the Sigma lens, the build quality was better than the kit lens, even though it doesn't feel as smooth as the pentax lense (same with the Tamron) but it too has a metal mount unlike the kit lenses.
The main thing I really liked about the Sigma is the Macro, this macro is actually pretty nice(see sample image that I took handheld)
I was actually thinking at first that I can just sell the Sigma but after further review I just might keep it and just sell the Pentax lenses, for now I am most likely going to hang onto them until I know for sure I am no longer going to use them.
Attachment 90039

Name:  Jpegs_2.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  Jpegs_1.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  Jpegs.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  77.2 KB

Last edited by BirdDude007; 03-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.
04-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to hang on to the DA 18-55 even if you don't use it. If you ever trade up or sell the camera you sell the kit lens with it. And the kit lens is not really worth much on the market by itself. Just put it in the box and it will be there when you need it.

The 50-200 might be worth selling, but again they do not sell for a whole lot.
04-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You might want to hang on to the DA 18-55 even if you don't use it. If you ever trade up or sell the camera you sell the kit lens with it. And the kit lens is not really worth much on the market by itself. Just put it in the box and it will be there when you need it.

The 50-200 might be worth selling, but again they do not sell for a whole lot.
I think you are right, I plan on getting another K-x body for my wife and she actually likes the two kit lenses that I have, so she will be more than welcome to have those.
Now.......where can I find another K-x body for cheap?