Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sad day...

One of my most used lenses lately, Tamron SP AF 24-135mm F3.5-5.6, is almost no more :-(

I bought this used from a forum member more than a year ago. I've used it on *ist DS, K-x, K20D and recently, barely but also on a K-7.

May be my copy is an exception but this lens has played a lot more on my tiny K-x (I know, its a mismatch size-wise) than the other bodies but I finally paid the price for not getting a 72mm filter for it. What I thought was a small smudge on the front element today has turned out to be a missing chunk of the lens in a corner, probably about half an inch in length already.

But I am surprised it still hasn't shown up on any photos yet.

And it has gotten bigger, I think. I've taken tons of photos since I noticed the condition of the lens knowing that the time is probably near for my Tammy. I am just hoping to give this awesome walkabout lens a fitting farewell when the curtain falls completely.

04-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
One of my most used lenses lately, Tamron SP AF 24-135mm F3.5-5.6, is almost no more :-(

I bought this used from a forum member more than a year ago. I've used it on *ist DS, K-x, K20D and recently, barely but also on a K-7.

May be my copy is an exception but this lens has played a lot more on my tiny K-x (I know, its a mismatch size-wise) than the other bodies but I finally paid the price for not getting a 72mm filter for it. What I thought was a small smudge on the front element today has turned out to be a missing chunk of the lens in a corner, probably about half an inch in length already.

But I am surprised it still hasn't shown up on any photos yet.

And it has gotten bigger, I think. I've taken tons of photos since I noticed the condition of the lens knowing that the time is probably near for my Tammy. I am just hoping to give this awesome walkabout lens a fitting farewell when the curtain falls completely.
You would be absolutely amazed at the damage glass can take and still make good images. When I was much, much younger, I worked at a camera shop that catered to pros. Many of them routinely used lenses that most "enthusiasts" would turn away in disgust. I've mentioned in other threads that I had a Canon FD 85 1.8 that made me more money than any other single lens, and it has... oh, I'm guessing 40 or 50 3-4mm scratches on the front; probably the result of being dropped into a camera bag, glass down, on a dirty botton - then bouncing around during a car ride.

There was one fellow that shot sports that had a 400 f4 lens that had a dime sized chip in the edge of the front element. I mean a *chip*, too, not just a separation - there was glass missing. He used it to shoot professional NFL promo images every Sunday, and it paid his bills almost by itself.

When I see damage like that, I'm sad, but if it's not your back element, it's probably only going to affect flare control. It affects resale value more than anything.

Last edited by jstevewhite; 04-29-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: (didn't want to seem like I was amused at the lens damage!)
04-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the front element can indeed take enormous punishment before it shows on shots. Then again, you have to remember that you are using FF lens on APSC so the image circle is much smaller therefore might be avoiding the damaged section altogether
04-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think you guys are right. I have another battered lens, a Pentax FA 28-70mm f4 which attests to what you said about the front element. You'd think it has been through a horse several times and its coating is all but completely scratched away.

I wouldn't be able to give it away to anyone without offering a bribe yet even now, this lens continues to produce keepers.

04-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I think you guys are right. I have another battered lens, a Pentax FA 28-70mm f4 which attests to what you said about the front element. You'd think it has been through a horse several times and its coating is all but completely scratched away.

I wouldn't be able to give it away to anyone without offering a bribe yet even now, this lens continues to produce keepers.
Hey, sorry to hear about 24-135... I remember you saying how much you liked that lens last time we spoke. If you have an interest in trying out a 18-135 at some point, let me know, as you're more than welcome to stop by and borrow whenever you'd like. It's my new go to walk-around lens and so far I really like it.
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Hey, sorry to hear about 24-135... I remember you saying how much you liked that lens last time we spoke. If you have an interest in trying out a 18-135 at some point, let me know, as you're more than welcome to stop by and borrow whenever you'd like. It's my new go to walk-around lens and so far I really like it.
Thanks, I may try it for a day some time just to get a feel. I've already started looking around for something in that general range but also pondering other options. Like if I should just ditch my current set and several of my unused lenses for a K-5+18-135, in which case I will make sure to talk to you first about that combo.