Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 17-50/2.8

My DA* 16-50, approaching it's two-year mark, is acting wonky, right on schedule. As I really need a lens in this range to be functional and reliable for working, and do not relish the thought of having to drop up to $300 on the thing every 1-1.5 years to keep in operational, I purchased the above mentioned lens as an alternative.

Downside is that there is no weather sealing, loss of 1mm on the wide end, and no manual focus tweaking while on AF. The lens is a wee bit shorter than the Pentax, and Sigma's HSM seems to be somewhat more reliable (although this hasn't been systematically examined so far as I know).

I'll keep the DA* for outside use when I need the weather sealing until I feel the time is right to send it in for repairs.

Does anyone else have experience with this lens? What are your thoughts on the IQ comparison between it and the DA*? I just got it a few days ago and haven't had much chance to use it yet, a situation I'm hoping to change when I take my trip west later this week.

05-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Downside is that there is no weather sealing, loss of 1mm on the wide end, and no manual focus tweaking while on AF. The lens is a wee bit shorter than the Pentax, and Sigma's HSM seems to be somewhat more reliable (although this hasn't been systematically examined so far as I know).
The upside is that the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM is sharper, has faster, quieter, more dependable AF, and comes with a 3 year warranty.

Sigma sells more glass than Pentax. If there was a problem with HSM it would be all over the forums. Go check out the Canon and Nikon forums and look for threads dealing with AF motor failure..... it is rare. IT happens with every brand, it just seem that SDM on the 16-50 and 50-135 are more susceptible than other. Other SDM lenses don;t seem to be as prone.
05-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The upside is that the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM is sharper, has faster, quieter, more dependable AF, and comes with a 3 year warranty.
That particular upside was the main motivation for my purchase. I think for most purposes I won't miss the 1 cm. And most of the paid work I do is either indoors or in decent weather where the sealing won't be an issue. It does seem to focus nicely. And quickly. The hood seems a bit sturdier as well.
05-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

Sigma sells more glass than Pentax. If there was a problem with HSM it would be all over the forums. Go check out the Canon and Nikon forums and look for threads dealing with AF motor failure..... it is rare.
And that is precisely why I am buying the Sigma 50-150 HSM instead of the DA*50-135. The IQ is every bit as good as the Pentax (if not better), the HSM is much faster, quieter and more dependable, and it comes with a 10 year warranty here in Canada.

If is wasn't for third party options, I wouldn't touch Pentax.

05-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

I just bought one with the same concerns, my 16-50 had crapped the bed for the third time, and I don't feel like paying for it anymore...I got the 17-50, and so far I am pleased.
05-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Does anyone else have experience with this lens? What are your thoughts on the IQ comparison between it and the DA*? I just got it a few days ago and haven't had much chance to use it yet, a situation I'm hoping to change when I take my trip west later this week.
I've never had the DA*, but have had the 17-50/2.8 for a while now, and I'm quite impressed with the images from it, especially in terms of the sharpness. The biggest issue I've had with it is that my lens hood didn't seem to lock on tight, but a strip of electrical tape fixed that issue.