Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

$250 is about the starting price of an E+ copy with no issues, so it would be wise to spend the extra $100 up front and go that route. Also check out the feedback from the seller, the other items he has sold are not camera related so he most likely has no clue on the real condition of the lens. I just see red flags on this one.

Phil.
Show me. I can do the CLA myself. I do it all the time.

05-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I'd like to get my hands on this one -> Vivitar Series1 55mm f1:1.2 Lens Pentax K Mount Rare! | eBay

Just a little pricey for me at the moment...

Edit: and this one here, funny - this thing has been listed for over 2 years now - Pentax SMC 50/1.2 K version #1207845 | eBay

27 offers have been made on it and all declined, by the time they sell that thing, the listing and re-listing fees will surpass what they will sell it for...
I've seen that vivitar before and it does look nice. As to the K50, some people are just plain stupid when it comes to realizing the cost of selling like that. I've seen it hundreds of times before.

05-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

The K50/1.2 is not your average lens and we’re not talking about just a CLA. This lens is most likely damaged, a job for Eric not a DIY project.

Yes both my copies cost me around $250.00 - $275.00. You’ll get them for a better price as part of a kit.

Phil.
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #34
JVi

Is the 1:1.2 built as simply as the 1:1.4 shown in this video posted elsewhere on the forum?

Video: The Systematic Disassembly of a Pentax 50mm F/1.4 Lens | Popular Photography

From that video, the construction looks to be very simple. I have rebuilt an SMC A zoom lens and it was far more painful than that shown in the above video. The tiny spring for the A setting and its associated ball bearing with base plate are annoying.

05-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Yes both my copies cost me around $250.00 - $275.00. You’ll get them for a better price as part of a kit.

Phil.

This^

From what I've seen lately, the only way your going to get a cheap Pentax 50mm F/1.2 is when the lens is not listed as an F/1.2 lens.

The auction I won was for $222 and I got a Pentax ME Super and the Pentax K 50mm F/1.2.....

The listing only said there was a 50mm included but by the image I could tell it was the glorious 1.2 varient

05-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I'll guarantee whoever got that lens LIVES on ebay, scanning listings all the time. There is no way anyone who knew what they were looking at would have let that pass. I know I wouldn't have. Easy $200 profit if not more.

that's 150 for a semi working f/1.2 50mm, not sure if it's worth it.
05-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #37
Inactive Account

The K50/1.2 is not your average lens and we’re not talking about just a CLA. This lens is most likely damaged, a job for Eric not a DIY project.

Phil.
Phil, when it comes to repairing mechanical camera equipment including lenses, I'm far beyond an inexperienced DIYer. With all due respect to Eric, I do not need him. In my original post about this, I was speaking entirely for myself. No one else.

05-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Phil.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to start checking out all those film bodies on Craigslist now.

05-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #39
JVi

The lens arrived today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-50mm-...t_1156&afsrc=1

I expected to spend at least an hour doing a CLA. The aperture, as described in the listing, would almost fully open but not quite (I'd say an equivalent to a 1.3 but not 1.2). I could see from the listing pictures that at wide open, the red diamond indicator showed that it pointed slightly to one side of the 1.2 mark. The aperture would sometimes open right up too, as described. So the first thing I did was clean the glass. The next was to apply some sewing machine lubricant (courtesy of the Singer Sewing Center) on a Q-tip to the outer parts of the focus and aperture rings. No, I did not use a volume as in the Exxon Valdez. Just a tiny amount. The excess was wiped off and the two rings were turned to move the lubricant around. Any excess oil was further removed. Well, just as I suspected, the aperture ring was just little tight and needed the lubricant. The aperture always opens fully now. The red diamond points exactly to the middle of the 1.2 mark That is as far as I went with the "CLA". If it took me 10 minutes in all I'd be surprised.
Here are some pics of the lens and the first two shots I took (not very exciting). As expected, the DOF is razor thin. The first with the 1.2 is of the lens I used to take shots of the 1.2. The last is of my foot. I can see a small blade of grass on my sock that got there after I cut the lawn!

Amazing lens. I will never sell it. It is too hard to find at a reasonable price. No, I do not live on EBay. I was just perusing; refreshed the screen and there it was. I quickly read the description and bought it. It happens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by JVi; 02-19-2012 at 12:59 PM.
05-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JVi Quote
The lens arrived today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-50mm-...t_1156&afsrc=1

I expected to spend at least an hour doing a CLA. The aperture, as described in the listing, would almost fully open but not quite (I'd say an equivalent to a 1.3 but not 1.2). I could see from the listing pictures that at wide open, the red diamond indicator showed that it pointed slightly to one side of the 1.2 mark. The aperture would sometimes open right up too, as described. So the first thing I did was clean the glass. The next was to apply some sewing machine lubricant (courtesy of the Singer Sewing Center) on a Q-tip to the outer parts of the focus and aperture rings. No, I did not use a volume as in the Exxon Valdez. Just a tiny amount. The excess was wiped off and the two rings were turned to move the lubricant around. Any excess oil was further removed. Well, just as I suspected, the aperture ring was just little tight and needed the lubricant. The aperture always opens fully now. The red diamond points exactly to the middle of the 1.2 mark That is as far as I went with the "CLA". If it took me 10 minutes in all I'd be surprised.
Here are some pics of the lens and the first two shots I took (not very exciting). As expected, the DOF is razor thin. The first with the 1.2 is of the lens I used to take shots of the 1.2. The last is of my foot. I can see a small blade of grass on my sock that got there after I cut the lawn!

Amazing lens. I will never sell it. It is too hard to find at a reasonable price. No, I do not live on EBay. I was just perusing; refreshed the screen and there it was. I quickly read the description and bought it. It happens.
nice catch and congratulations. here is an apple for you !

A50/1.2
05-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
nice catch and congratulations. here is an apple for you !

A50/1.2
Don't you know apples are for teachers? We are "Pentaxian's", we get a little more than just an apple -> so, here is a shrimp:

05-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And here are some eggs at f/1.2:

05-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #43
Site Supporter

A couple weekends ago, I traded my K-7 to a guy for a D90 + 18-200 VR lens. (That'll be going on Craigslist - I think I made out well, I was asking $650 for the K-7 and should easily get over $1,000 for the Nikon!)

Anyway, the relevant part is that he had just bought $50 worth of Pentax gear off Craigslist, which included an ME and... yes, a Pentax-A 50mm F1.2. He had no idea what a good deal he'd gotten until I told him. I didn't see the lens in question, but he was a pro photographer so I think he should know the difference between F2.0 and F1.2, and had mentioned specifically that he was looking forward to playing with that lens. So, there are still good deals to be had...

Best Craigslist deal that I missed was a Pentax 1.7x AF teleconverter... listed for FIFTEEN DOLLARS. It was sold almost immediately. Since then, I've set up filters so that anything Pentax-related that goes on the local Craigslist alerts me instantly.