Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #16
Forum Member

I notify only occasional problems with focusing under low light with Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC HSM OS. Mostly no problem with focusing at all.

04-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by hramat Quote
I notify only occasional problems with focusing under low light with Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC HSM OS. Mostly no problem with focusing at all.
Does the OS HSM version use too much battery (can the battery last a day)?
04-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
Forum Member

I used the lens on K-x, K-r and K-5 and I cannot complain about the battery life. I have use other lenses and the battery life seems not different.
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I really like the 17-70 range of lens on APS sensors, it saves a lot on lens changes, esp for the live theatre that i shoot.

I went with Pentax 17-70 F4 for these reasons:

A. SLR Gear.com:
QuoteQuote:
The lens uses a constant ƒ/4 aperture compared to Sigma's variable aperture;
it's much sharper used wide open than the Sigma. Chromatic aberration is
somewhat problematic at the wide and tele ends of the focal range, much more so
than the Sigma. Corner shading is less pronounced on the Pentax,
B. Photozone.de:
QuoteQuote:
The Pentax DA SMC 17-70mm f/4 AL [IF] SDM is undoubtedly the most desirable
standard zoom lens in the current Pentax lens lineup. The resolution
characteristic is very good without any significant weakness....The fast and
near-silent ultrasonic AF is also a very welcome new feature.
C. Adams recent poll on SDM shows marked reductions in reported SDM problems. I'm convinced that Pentax knows what the problem was and has corrected it. In any case, i've had the DA300 for 3 years, the DA50-135 for 3 years and now the DA 17-70 for one month :-) - no sdm problems with any of them. To me, this is a past issue, but i totally sympathize with those that were caught by it. (Pentax was less than helpful about the issue)

D. Macro capabilities: the Sigma 17-70 latest focuses down to 22cm while the DA 17-70 goes down to 28 cm, prize goes to Sigma for this feature, but 28cm still isn't bad.

I think both lenses are good candidates for this range, Pentax 17-70 went up about $100 over Sigma in the recent price hike which would probably cause a lot of sales to shift to Sigma. I look forward to the promised Pentax 16-85 - should be interesting.

04-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI, we're going to be posting a comparative review of these two lenses next week, so stay tuned!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #21

I got the sigma non OS version because it was $150 less than the Pentax. But now I need to spend extra on a hood (the supposedly brand new sigma is missing the hood according to the seller ;( )
04-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look forward to it. I'm in the market for one of these lenses myself