Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron Adaptall-2 lens attaching 2X converter

Just wondering if anybody knows the correct position of the aperture rings when attaching the 2X converter to the 90mm macro lens that gives 1:1 magnification. I have fiddled with mine a little after getting the converter but it just doesn't seem like the aperture controls are lined up right between the lens and the converter. If anyone has any experience with this I appreciate the help in advance!!

05-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

You should post this on the Tamron Adaptall Lens club section.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/59769-adaptall-mount-club-tamron.html

You'll probably get an immediate answer!

Regards,
05-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Always install the lens to the Doubler before installing the mount !
Put the lens aperture at 2.5, Align the green dots and move the arms to fit into the notches
on the lens. Turn and lock the lens to the Doubler.
Now with the lens at 2.5 install the adapter the same way.
If it is an " A " adapter press the BLACK lever on the adapter and turn the lens to AE position.
The tabs on the aperture arms are different sizes so you can't install it a wrong way.
05-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

As above, and as a general rule:
- Set everything to the minimum aperture (i.e. f 2.8) to start (and it helps before disassembly too)
- Assemble parts working from the lens back toward the camera mount: lens->TC->adapter->camera.
- Selecting AE-mode after attaching the adapter but prior to mounting the lens seems to be helpful.

H2

05-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

It might(?) help you to consult the original Owners Manual - with illustrations - for Apaptall-2 Custom Mounts. I have uploaded a copy that you may find here:

PhotoDocs

B.R. / Steen G. B.
05-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I should probably scan and post my Adaptall-2 instruction sheet that I have filed somewhere. But, in the mean time:
  • Put the aperture ring at its WIDEST setting (smallest f/number)
  • Remove the mount from the lens
  • Attach the 2x converter to the lens
  • Slide the tabs to mate with their notches
  • Attach the mount to the 2x converter and slide the tabs to mate with their notches
  • Mount to camera and enjoy!

Steve
05-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think I have it right now. When it is set to AE the white mark on the lens that acts as the indicator of the aperture is pointed at the f32 on the lens and f64 on the converter and there is a little line that looks like a bracket laying down that stretches between the f32/f64 and the AE on the aperture ring does that sound correct?

Again thanks for your help on this!
05-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Correct. The F32 position is used for the AE function when AE mode is engaged. The Tamron TC's display the corrected f-stop on their own aperture ring as a convenience when used in the manual aperture mode.

H2

05-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks pacerr!! I really like the feel of this lens its solid and I have a couple good images from it today. I might have to pick up a couple more adaptalls.
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you are going to be using the TC to obtain 1:1 magnification with your 52B or 52BB only, you might think about removing the glass elements and use the TC sans glass, as an extension tube. You will achieve 1:1 magnification without losing two stops of light and the inherent image degradation which accompanies using a TC. But if you are going to use this TC as a focal length doubler, kindly disregard.

I managed to pick up another 01F TC cheap at the local swap meet and will remove the glass from one of them permanently.

Thanks,