Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

What is this lens? Pentax 35-70mm f3.5

I just got this lens on an eBay auction. I am pretty ignorant of such things, but I think it is a 35-70mm zoom lens. However, I do not see a dial on the lens that allows me to change the focal length. In fact the only focal length is marked on the lens side "70mm" and "macro" in green type. (See the first photo below, all the way on the left is "70mm" in green).

I bought this lens for a Pentax digital SLR model K100d. When I mount the lens to the camera, I use the Manual Focus setting on the camera. Other than no zoom, the lens does seem to work fine, and has taken a few nice photos. But if there's a zoom feature I sure can't get it to work! It acts more like a fixed focal length, non-zoom 70mm lens.

Any ideas? My other zoom lenses have a dial on the lens where I can zoom in or out to frame the photo like I want. This does not. Is the "macro" something that indicates there really is no zoom capability? I can focus the lens fine using the outer most ring, but that is only changing the focus. The next ring in is the f stop ring, but I am not using that as I am using the camera's auto-exposure.

Thanks to you lens detectives out there......

Sorry about the clumbsy links below; I could not get the "Insert Image" to work properly....must be a setting I haven't done yet on this forum?

SMC Pentax-A 1:3.5-4.5 35-70 - TOP pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Pentax 35-70 zoom macro - Side pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

11-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

One Ring Zoom

QuoteOriginally posted by Papersniper Quote
I just got this lens on an eBay auction. I am pretty ignorant of such things, but I think it is a 35-70mm zoom lens. However, I do not see a dial on the lens that allows me to change the focal length. In fact the only focal length is marked on the lens side "70mm" and "macro" in green type. (See the first photo below, all the way on the left is "70mm" in green).

I bought this lens for a Pentax digital SLR model K100d. When I mount the lens to the camera, I use the Manual Focus setting on the camera. Other than no zoom, the lens does seem to work fine, and has taken a few nice photos. But if there's a zoom feature I sure can't get it to work! It acts more like a fixed focal length, non-zoom 70mm lens.

Any ideas? My other zoom lenses have a dial on the lens where I can zoom in or out to frame the photo like I want. This does not.
Did you try pushing/pulling the focusing ring from back to front?? I believe that this is a "one-ring" zoom lens where the focus action is combined with the zooming action. You turn left-right to focus, and push-pull to zoom. Very common in the "olden days" of manual focus.
11-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
......Did you try pushing/pulling the focusing ring from back to front??...
No, sounds like a plan to me! I'll give that a try tonight and see how it works. I think I did have a lens like that back in the 70s. Thanks for the quick reply.
11-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Papersniper that lens is a single touch push/pull zoom. At 70mm the macro feature engages which will not allow you to zoom. Focus to infinity then you should be able to zoom by push and pulling the focus ring.

11-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup Rico is right. Set the lens at 70mm and you can focus into the green macro area.
11-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all who pointed out how to use the zoom on this lens. I am a little embarassed! Yep, what ya'll said is exactly how it works! <g>
11-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the Rokinon 35~70mm M42 version. What is the definision of "Macro" in this case

11-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This types of lenses are 'Close Focusing Macros" or "tele-marcos" lenses.
11-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I have the Rokinon 35~70mm M42 version. What is the definision of "Macro" in this case
Typically, "macro" zooms are close focusing to 1/4 life size (1:4) or perhaps 1:3. Older macro lenses like my Pentax SMC-A 100mm f/4 focus to 1:2, and newer macro lenses usually go to 1:1 (life-size) or slightly better. There is a Canon macro lens that focuses 5:1 -- five times life size -- ("MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Manual Focus Lens for EOS") which borders on "microphotography" (i.e, photography through a microscope).
11-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Papersniper Quote
Thanks to all who pointed out how to use the zoom on this lens. I am a little embarassed! Yep, what ya'll said is exactly how it works! <g>
Well, at least you didn't send it back for a "missing zoom ring."
11-03-2007, 05:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ooops. Sorry, it is NOT the same although it is a 35~70mm Macro.
11-03-2007, 06:24 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
"Well, at least you didn't send it back for a "missing zoom ring." "

I know! Wouldn't that have been embarrassing! But at least for now I KNOW how ignorant I am......probably in another 6 months I'll begin to think I actually start to know what I'm doing........then I will REALLY embarrass myself! <GG>