Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm with Marc on this one. You need to know what it is that you don't like about your current setup. Is this your first DSLR? What are you photographing? Are the photos blurry, poorly exposed, or what?

I took photos with manual focus film cameras for more than 30 years. About 5 years ago, I bought a DSLR and went through this as well, only to find out that my real problem was my not understanding the functioning of the autofocus and shake reduction on my camera. The primes are nice, but most people do not exhaust the capabilities of the two lenses mentioned by the OP before deciding that the lens is the problem.

05-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm with Marc on this one. You need to know what it is that you don't like about your current setup. Is this your first DSLR? What are you photographing? Are the photos blurry, poorly exposed, or what?

I took photos with manual focus film cameras for more than 30 years. About 5 years ago, I bought a DSLR and went through this as well, only to find out that my real problem was my not understanding the functioning of the autofocus and shake reduction on my camera. The primes are nice, but most people do not exhaust the capabilities of the two lenses mentioned by the OP before deciding that the lens is the problem.
I thought our job on the forum was encourage LBA, regardless of whether it's in the best interest of the OP

Kidding aside, it's a completely valid point and more information from the OP would allow us to better answer his question. However, I don't know that one needs to fully exhaust the capabilities of the kit lenses in order to justify moving on and buying an AF prime or two.
05-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I should add that if it *does* turn out the issue the OP is having can be solved by better lenses, then the answer is definitely to get the primes. There may be zooms that would make a worthy upgrade from the kit lenses, but the 18-135 unfortunately appears to not be enough (any, if you believe photozone.de) better.
05-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I thought our job on the forum was encourage LBA, regardless of whether it's in the best interest of the OP

Kidding aside, it's a completely valid point and more information from the OP would allow us to better answer his question. However, I don't know that one needs to fully exhaust the capabilities of the kit lenses in order to justify moving on and buying an AF prime or two.
I don't say you have to exhaust the kit lenses before buying another lens, but you might want to use them a while and find their limits before deciding that the lenses are the problem.

05-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #20

Original Poster
You guys are awsome, thanks for all your input.

As for what am I unhappy with? Its not that I am unhappy, I just want more pop in my pictures, if you know what I mean.

Here is a link to my flickr page. The street photgraphy pictures there are the type I want to get more into. Other than that, I shoot parties and get togethers. There are also a couple of weddings coming up for which I am also buying the Metz 50.

Link:
Flickr: Hassaasin's Photostream

*Posted a quick reply but it didnt seem to appear on the thread so posting again, sorry but I am new here*
05-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I don't say you have to exhaust the kit lenses before buying another lens, but you might want to use them a while and find their limits before deciding that the lenses are the problem.
I know what you meant, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just meant that the primes have other virtues so that even if someone still had room for improvement with their kit lenses, it doesn't preclude that they might enjoy shooting with a prime for other reasons (size, speed, etc).

But you are correct, after rereading the original post, I agree with you that is probably a better idea to figure out what about the kit lenses aren't giving the OP the IQ he wants before buying more lenses.
05-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #22

Original Poster
You guys are some awsome, thanks for all the input.

As to what am I not happy with? Its not that I am not happy, I just want more pop in my pictures, if you know what I mean.

Here is a link to my flickr. The street photography type photos are the type I want to do more and try to carry my camera with me everywhere. Other than that I shoot parties and get togethers. There are also a couple of indor weddings coming up and for those i am also buying a Metz 50.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50259401@N03/
05-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I also agree that the DA35/2.4 would make a great first prime. I don't know enough about the F50/1.7 to recommend that one, but that 35 is a steal at $200, brand new! Excellent way to get your feet wet with a prime and see if it suits you.

05-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by haassaasin Quote
I am thinking about either the da 18-135 WR lens, or two or three pentax da limited series prime lenses.
Have you looked in any of the lens clubs? There is one for the 18-135, FA Limiteds, DA Limiteds, and the 15 Limited. Two primes are not going to cover 18-135, nor are three. And the Limiteds stop at 77mm.

Lens Clubs - PentaxForums.com
05-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

There will be no difference between any of these lenses in the sizes available on Flickr. They'd be more apparent when pixel peeping, but you'd be the only one seeing this. That's what I mean by subtle. On the other hand, looking at the images in your photostream, I'd say some of them could use a brighter exposure. But that's not a function of the lens - just of knowing when to use exposure compensation. Also, larger aperture lenses would allow faster shutter speeds in low light for a given ISO level, and that will help the perception of "pop" in certain cases. But overall, unless there is a specific image you'd like to post a link to a higher resolution version of to show what about the kit lens isn't cutting it, I think my initial comment stands - there really would be nothing to be gained *in these shots* from going to an ostensibly better lens.
05-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #26

i'd suggest the DA21, my first prime which is very nice walkaround lens.

I never tried the 35 but I found the DA40 a bit "long" and not so for all situation
05-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
He's talking about the DA limiteds, all of which are around the $500 mark (except the 40, which is a fair bit cheaper), not the FA limiteds. Also, the FA 43 is going for $570 right now at B&H, so your figure for the FA limiteds is off a bit.
Oh my! Well that changes things entirely, looks like I mucked that up (DA vs FA). But the OP has plenty of good advice now from the other posters so I won't bother restating theirs.
05-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #28

Original Poster
Sweet, I am going to go with the primes. Either the 35mm f/2.4 for the price, the 21mm for the focal length or 40 for the size.

Thanks everybody.
05-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #29
Site Supporter

You got the magic lens (A50/1.7) already. I would skip the da40/2.8 limited because it is a similar fov. Consider the da35/2.8 limited macro for the added versatility of being "normal" and macro.

(I just sold my da40 and have the da35/2.8 in the mail)
05-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Araki Quote
You got the magic lens (A50/1.7) already. I would skip the da40/2.8 limited because it is a similar fov. Consider the da35/2.8 limited macro for the added versatility of being "normal" and macro.
I keep thinking that 35mm f/2.4 will perform better or at least the same as a "normal" lens than the 35/2.8 macro. Am I completely wrong?