Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 35 Limited is made of metal, magic, and optical elements ground so finely that they pass 100.1% of the light they receive.

The 35 ƒ2.4 is made of plastic, but still pretty good.

05-04-2011, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by haassaasin Quote
I keep thinking that 35mm f/2.4 will perform better or at least the same as a "normal" lens than the 35/2.8 macro. Am I completely wrong?
From what I saw in the reviews, researching my choice:

2.4AL
1. Better for auto-focus walkaround shooting (less time for AF searching because it doesn't have the long (macro) focus throw.
2. Lightweight
3. f/2.4 vs f/2.8 - slightly better low light (not sure the difference will matter esp if you're running in auto iso mode.

2.8Ltd
1. Limited Lens - metal construction
2. Sharper - because, you know, it's a limited lens
3. Quickshift - allows for manual focus adjustment ontop of AF (not available in the AL)
4. Built in hood - the AL requires a 49mm threaded hood
5. Macro

===
You have a good shot at getting a 2.4AL in the marketplace, <$200. It may serve as a good stepping stone and should adequately fit your walkaround needs. I agree with you if you're leaning that direction. It's called LBA, you'll eventually get the DA35ltd.
05-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #33
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy the Zoom and one or two primes at the focal length you shoot most.

Primes are costly and far less convenient than a zoom.

Since you are mainly concerned about "pop" there are software apps that can create that effect.
05-04-2011, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Get the Tamron SP 17-50/2.8. After that you can get whatever primes you still feel you need.

05-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Get the Tamron SP 17-50/2.8. After that you can get whatever primes you still feel you need
Oh man, I wish I had read this comment earlier. I already purchased the 35mm f/2.4. Now that I looked at the Tamron, I want that too. Lol. I am trying to justify having both because the store I bought the 35mm from only accepts exchanges and they only have the Tamron 28-75, which wont give me too wide of an angle. But then I can carry my kit lens around as well.

Gah, I donnt know what to do :s
05-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Get the Tamron SP 17-50/2.8. After that you can get whatever primes you still feel you need.
How do the Tamron compares to the DA*16-50?
05-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Soap Quote
The Tamron 17-50 is smaller, cheaper and probably a little sharper wide open. It also uses a screw-drive AF so it's highly unlikely to fail.

In favor of the DA*16-50 is a tiny bit of extra width, quiet AF, weather seals and quickshift focusing.

In terms of overall IQ, they're both excellent.

I choose to pick up the DA*16-50 over the 17-50, but that was mostly because I already had the Tamron 28-75, which is very similar to the 17-50 (aside from the focal length range).
05-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #38

Original Poster
Should I ditch my 35mm f/2.4 and get the tamron 17-50?

05-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Should I ditch my 35mm f/2.4 and get the tamron 17-50?
You alreay bought it, right? I would say go ahead and use it and see how you like it first since you said you can't return it anyway.
05-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The Tamron 17-50 is smaller, cheaper and probably a little sharper wide open. It also uses a screw-drive AF so it's highly unlikely to fail.

In favor of the DA*16-50 is a tiny bit of extra width, quiet AF, weather seals and quickshift focusing.

In terms of overall IQ, they're both excellent.

I choose to pick up the DA*16-50 over the 17-50, but that was mostly because I already had the Tamron 28-75, which is very similar to the 17-50 (aside from the focal length range).
Thanks for your quick reply
Just checking how my da* stands in that regard.
05-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest getting the zoom for most pictures and *a* prime for when you want the extra boost in IQ, at your favorite focal length.

If you don't know what your favorite focal length is, spend some time with the zoom and buy the prime later.

Typically you use a prime to "exploit" a focal length. It's very expensive to exploit all of the focal lengths.
05-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Soap Quote
I never had the 16-50, but photozone reviews indicate the Tamron is sharper wide open and also in borders, so optically it seems better. The 16-50 on the other hand has WR, so if you need that, it's worth the price difference.
05-07-2011, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't ditch the prime, as mentioned earlier, having the primes will force you to become a better photographer as they will make you think about having to move around to create better compositions. I have the 21mm and 43mm primes and the 18-135... They are different tools for different situations. I like the 18-135 and it is super convenient and it is weather sealed (which is nice when you are on a trip and you aren't sure what will happen with the weather) but I prefer using the two primes. They are just so fun to use. An added benefit is when using the primes, you get to laugh at the Canikon crowd with their giant heavy lenses. I do this regularly at the Bronx Zoo.
05-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Don't ditch the prime, as mentioned earlier, having the primes will force you to become a better photographer as they will make you think about having to move around to create better compositions. I have the 21mm and 43mm primes and the 18-135... They are different tools for different situations. I like the 18-135 and it is super convenient and it is weather sealed (which is nice when you are on a trip and you aren't sure what will happen with the weather) but I prefer using the two primes. They are just so fun to use. An added benefit is when using the primes, you get to laugh at the Canikon crowd with their giant heavy lenses. I do this regularly at the Bronx Zoo.
Well, I really want to buy the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and so the 35mm FL would be covered in that with almost the same aperture. So instead of the 35mm 2.4, I am thinking of buying either the DA 70 2.4 (I love the pictures I have seen from it) or the DA 15 f/4 or any other super wide angle lens, if I can justify the cost (I am a student right now not making any money from my photography) and I also want a Metz 50 flash :s lol.

But the Tamron is number one on my list, then I will decide between another lens or the flash.
05-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Well, I really want to buy the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and so the 35mm FL would be covered in that with almost the same aperture. So instead of the 35mm 2.4, I am thinking of buying either the DA 70 2.4 (I love the pictures I have seen from it) or the DA 15 f/4 or any other super wide angle lens, if I can justify the cost (I am a student right now not making any money from my photography) and I also want a Metz 50 flash :s lol.

But the Tamron is number one on my list, then I will decide between another lens or the flash.
Yes, the DAL 35 doesn't seem to add a lot to the zoom. The distortion is not much better, maybe just CA is a bit better. It's nice for size - the Tamron will be a larger lens.

I wouldn't hurry with the DA 15. The 17mm of the Tamron will be good enough unless you really like wide angles.

If you don't mind manual focusing, I would recommend the Samyang 85/1.4 as an addition to the zoom. If you want an AF portrait lens, then the DA70 that you picked is probably the best choice, but you may find that to keep eyes in focus, AF does not give you a big advantage over MF. The 50mm end of the Tamron will also give you a nice focal length for portraits, so take your time studying choices.

Long term, consider also adding a macro in the longest focal length you can get. The new Sigma 150 sounds interesting. The existing Sigma 105 is also very good. You can use these lenses for portraits outdoors in addition to macro.