Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #1

How serious is rust on an aperture blade?

I have a lens that has rust on one of the aperture blades. The lens opens and closes the fstop fine. What should I be worried about?

05-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

rust is pretty serious, aperture blades are made of pretty thin metal. Depending on how much rust there is it can potentially ruin the lens when they finally wear through. When that happens you could pull the lens apart and remove the fragments and simply use the lens wide-open, though that depends on exactly what the lens is.
05-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I have a lens that has rust on one of the aperture blades. The lens opens and closes the fstop fine. What should I be worried about?
Yeah I’d be worried as to how the rust got there in the first place. Either the lens took a dunk in some water or was subject to high humidity, both can lead to fungus.

Phil.
05-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
There's nothing to worry about, the damage is done. I wouldn't bother taking the lens apart and attempt to clean the rust off the blade - the blades are thin and quite fragile and the cure might be worse than the disease. Even if you do manage to remove the rust, how would you protect the exposed metal? Any sort of rust inhibiting compound would add unwanted thickness to the blade and interfere with normal movements of the diaphragm. If the diaphragm works fine, just leave it alone. Take care to not expose the lens to humid environment (silica gel in a lens case should do the trick) and I'd expect you would get many years of service from the lens.

Thanks,