Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 03:40 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm. Looks like the AF on my Kx is off by quite a bit, 150 micrometers in fact. Now my FA 50/1.4 focuses a lot better as well after adjusting.

05-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Hmm. Looks like the AF on my Kx is off by quite a bit, 150 micrometers in fact. Now my FA 50/1.4 focuses a lot better as well after adjusting.
If more people realized that every lens must be put through proper AF testing and adjustment, there would be many fewer complaints about poor autofocus and soft lenses.

Rob
05-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Adk X Quote
I will hold on to my Da 35 for awhile longer now. I have taken some fantastic close-ups with it .
Good decision. You are the only one that can determine what lenses you *need*.
05-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member

When you consider that the kx has no menu option for af adjustment how is a new user to know these things. But for rice highs blog I wouldn't have known about the modset file boot into the debug menu either.

As it was, my kx came from the factory set to -20. I had to apply +170 to correct. That it was set to -20 from the factory suggests that an af issue was picked up during qa. Instead of sending it back to be properly calibrated and adjusted physically the qa person has just made a quick adjustment which has made the problem worse. The fa31 has only highlighted an existing problem with my kx.
The only conclusion I can draw from this is that quality control at pentax is cutting corners and that all the complaints of poor af and soft images have some basis in fact.

05-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
When you consider that the kx has no menu option for af adjustment how is a new user to know these things. But for rice highs blog I wouldn't have known about the modset file boot into the debug menu either.

As it was, my kx came from the factory set to -20. I had to apply +170 to correct. That it was set to -20 from the factory suggests that an af issue was picked up during qa. Instead of sending it back to be properly calibrated and adjusted physically the qa person has just made a quick adjustment which has made the problem worse. The fa31 has only highlighted an existing problem with my kx.
The only conclusion I can draw from this is that quality control at pentax is cutting corners and that all the complaints of poor af and soft images have some basis in fact.
I was not aware that the K-x lacks this feature. Sounds like a reason to avoid it. It's too bad, since AF calibration is so important. On my K-7, I have several lenses that require quite substantial adjustments to get them on target.

What about the K-r?

Rob
05-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Wants, needs, affords, uses, wants more -- ah, the 5-steps to LBA! Yeah, the 31 would be real Nice To Have, but I'll need to rob a couple minimarts to afford it. Till then I'll use my Vivitar-Komine 28/2 CFWA (US$18.55 shipped) with CIF. No BF/FF issues, no custom hoods, no insurance riders, etc. No p-TTL either, but I can live with that.
05-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #52

Original Poster
Thank you Digitalis ! That is what I was getting at....Then apparently the 35mm 2.8 Macro Limited that I have and the FA 31mm 1.8 Limited that we are talking about, fill different Niches. If I had both,what would the role of the 35 Macro be and what would be the role of the 31mm ??? I really like the really close-up shots that I'm getting from the 35 Macro( Flowers etc.)...what else would you recommend it for that would differ from the 31mm to justify me having both lenses ? Right now I'm saving up for the FA 31mm don't want it to be a waste of money. I may take the earlier advice posted and rent one if I can find a place.
05-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #53
Pentaxian

good luck with renting one, though considering the FA31's extremely high resolution and it's reasonably close focus distance of 1ft(0.3m) with a bit of cropping, technically the FA 31 can behave as a low magnification macro lens.

however, for serious macro work I use either my Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro or my Sigma 180mm f/3.5 with the Pentax AF160FC ringflash. The DA 35 has a working distance that is far too short for my liking.

this shot was taken with the FA31 at minimum focus distance without any cropping:

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-10-2011 at 06:12 AM.
05-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I hate you.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have all the three amigos...
05-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adk X Quote
Right now I'm saving up for the FA 31mm don't want it to be a waste of money.
Well that is a tricky situation,since you already own the DA35 f/2.8 Macro. The real question is whether the stop or so of extra lens speed is going to really help you get the images you want. The difference between f/2.8 and f/1.8 is rather trivial, there aren't many things that the FA31mm f/1.8 can do that the DA35 cannot do with skilled hands. I chose the FA31 because of it's focal length, aperture ring(which is very useful in the studio), it's fast aperture and superb optical and physical construction - and the fact that it can be used on film I use it on my LX and Me super from time to time.
05-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
and the fact that it can be used on film I use it on my LX and Me super from time to time.
Exactly my case, I love using it with my LX. At least I like results more in general than ones of cropped digital gear.
But they say APS-C and FF are about the same IQ in this forum
05-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #57

The question is not do I need the FA 31 but do I want the FA 31. It's Pentax best lens ever so quality is not an issue. It really comes down to your taste and desires.
05-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
The question is not do I need the FA 31 but do I want the FA 31. It's Pentax best lens ever so quality is not an issue. It really comes down to your taste and desires.
I, too, thought it was the best Pentax lens, until I got the FA43. But they are both so great that it really boils down to a choice of focal lengths. And you are correct about the distinction between "wants" and "needs." The trouble is that our minds are prone to confusing the two.

Rob
05-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I don't find 43mm a useful focal length on dSLR, OTOH, 31mm is just perfect. I found even the FA35 a bit tight, that was my main reason for getting the 31. The 43, of course, would be a great focal length to shoot on film.
05-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I was not aware that the K-x lacks this feature.
How do you think I adjusted the focus on my K-x? I certainly couldnt be bothered taking it to Pentax for that. They'd probably blame the lens anyway.