Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x new user

Just bought my desired K-x ,
now I'm looking on how to improve lenses
( I can only improve I have only the 18-55 from kit ).

Two questions for someone more experienced:

1) I will have benefit from pentax FA 28-90 against the 18-55 (seller of the K-x has one of it in mint conditions) https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-28-90mm-F3.5-5.6-Zoom-Lens.html

2) In some conditions I will need more zoom, so it will better to have in the bag
a teleconverter like 2 fach Tele Konverter 2x Vorsatzlinse Vorsatz 52 mm 52m | eBay
or is an idea to buy directly a very cheap lens like https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=825&cat=96?

Thank in advance for your suggestions.

05-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey there, fellow K-x shooter here =D

it depends on what you shoot and what you want from a lens =P For what i shoot, those two wouldnt be much of an upgrade at all, especially since the kit lens is a terrific lens if you dont need the speed or extra reach.

have you considered primes? one of the best things i ever did for myself was pick up the cheap 50mm f/2 M lens for about 30 bucks and shoot a lot with that. Its not the best lens in the universe, but I sure learned a lot from it.

as for your issue with reach, its again a question of what you're looking for. Once again, i recommended that you consider a prime lens, there are lots of cheap, fast 135mm lenses out there that may or may not fit what you're looking for.

Last edited by adpo; 05-03-2011 at 02:54 PM.
05-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also own a K-x, and it's been quite a good experience thus far. I'll echo adpo's sentiments as well as noting that an additional DA-L lens, the 55-300mm is pretty good for reach.

One downside to the teleconverters is that, from what I understand, their multiplier is also multiplied to the aperture, so you might have a hard time getting enough light in to get usable shots in conditions where it's not well lit out.

Over all, experiment. Read and shoot something every day if you can.
05-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have owned my K-x with the kit lens for 4 months. I started to buy used lenses.
I aquired the M50/1.7 which I really did appreciate, I do not think manual focus is that difficult, the green button thing is really helpful.
Then I got the M135/3.5 (missed the K135/2.5 by 5 minutes).
Later I got the F35-70 zoom along with an old SFX camera. The F35-70 has a macro function at the 70.
Finally I got the Sigma 180/3.5 EX macro when I noticed that the reach at 70 was not enough and the M135 did not focus close enough.

I use the kit if I need wide, F35-70 normally as a walk around and the M50 indoors w/o flash. To (re)learn to use manual focus is really fun. And they do not cost that much.

To answer your question, I do not think the FA28-90 or the teleconverter are the most ideal buys. You can get a DA50-200 cheap too, even the better DA55-300 at a higher price. Or the old FA80-320. Otherwise I am a prime person too, since primes were superior in the 80's compared to zooms.

To sum up: go look in the lens database for the good price/performance lenses. As you did. And start using them!

Last edited by bassek; 05-03-2011 at 11:20 PM.