Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Power Zoom Lens on a K-x

Will these lenses only work on the PZ series and the K10/K20? Can I zoom it manually on a K-x? I saw a copy in a secondhand shop and I'm not sure if the zoom is broken or I just don't know how to use it X__x

05-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Should work same as the lens you got with your camera,full auto.You should be able to zoom the lens both auto and manual.Would be able to give better advise if you included the series of the lens.
Jake
05-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think the K-x can power zoom, although theoretically it should be able to (maybe I'm wrong). In any case, you can still zoom any PZ lens manually.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Will these lenses only work on the PZ series and the K10/K20? Can I zoom it manually on a K-x? I saw a copy in a secondhand shop and I'm not sure if the zoom is broken or I just don't know how to use it X__x
You switch between manual and power zoom by pushing/pulling the zoom ring back and forth.

When the zoom ring is pulled towards the camera body it is in manual zoom.

The K-x doesn't support power zoom but do not despair. In my experience manual zoom is more accurate and hence preferable.

05-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Should work same as the lens you got with your camera,full auto.You should be able to zoom the lens both auto and manual.Would be able to give better advise if you included the series of the lens.
Jake
it's an FA 28-80 sir...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think the K-x can power zoom, although theoretically it should be able to (maybe I'm wrong). In any case, you can still zoom any PZ lens manually.
Hmm, that seems a good tweak.. hope there's a way XD ...the added weight from the motor should have some use =))

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You switch between manual and power zoom by pushing/pulling the zoom ring back and forth.

When the zoom ring is pulled towards the camera body it is in manual zoom.

The K-x doesn't support power zoom but do not despair. In my experience manual zoom is more accurate and hence preferable.
Ooh, so there's a mechanism to it! Thanks for the heads up sir Ole. Will go back to the shop to try that (and hopefully find the lens is not broken)
05-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The power zoom motor will function but the other options such as snap zoom to return to a preset focal length, image size tracking which zoomed as your focus point changed to keep the subject framed. And zoom through the focal length range during exposure, plus returning the lens to shortest configuration at power down are all lost. Pentax never supported the PZ camera functions in their DSLRs although this was promised for the K10D
05-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used this one on K-7 and that works. So maybe also on K-x if it can run enough energy.
05-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

How do you control the zooming action - from the body, from the lens?

07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

From the lens
07-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The power zoom motor will function but the other options such as snap zoom to return to a preset focal length, image size tracking which zoomed as your focus point changed to keep the subject framed. And zoom through the focal length range during exposure, plus returning the lens to shortest configuration at power down are all lost. Pentax never supported the PZ camera functions in their DSLRs although this was promised for the K10D
That's getting a little tedious, that Pentax promises support for something, then don't deliver. PZ in the K10D, Astrotracker for the K-01 - what else has they promised, then failed to deliver in the promised bodies?

I've always been curious as to power zoom myself, what's the real use of it? It's not like turning the zoom-ring is that hard, so it can't be that......
07-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey my (new to me) K20 supports the power zoom function of my 28-80mm FA 3.5~4.7

It's a noisy hoot