Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
Power Zoom Lens on a K-x

Will these lenses only work on the PZ series and the K10/K20? Can I zoom it manually on a K-x? I saw a copy in a secondhand shop and I'm not sure if the zoom is broken or I just don't know how to use it X__x

05-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 416
Should work same as the lens you got with your camera,full auto.You should be able to zoom the lens both auto and manual.Would be able to give better advise if you included the series of the lens.
Jake
05-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,369
I don't think the K-x can power zoom, although theoretically it should be able to (maybe I'm wrong). In any case, you can still zoom any PZ lens manually.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,853
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Will these lenses only work on the PZ series and the K10/K20? Can I zoom it manually on a K-x? I saw a copy in a secondhand shop and I'm not sure if the zoom is broken or I just don't know how to use it X__x
You switch between manual and power zoom by pushing/pulling the zoom ring back and forth.

When the zoom ring is pulled towards the camera body it is in manual zoom.

The K-x doesn't support power zoom but do not despair. In my experience manual zoom is more accurate and hence preferable.

05-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Should work same as the lens you got with your camera,full auto.You should be able to zoom the lens both auto and manual.Would be able to give better advise if you included the series of the lens.
Jake
it's an FA 28-80 sir...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think the K-x can power zoom, although theoretically it should be able to (maybe I'm wrong). In any case, you can still zoom any PZ lens manually.
Hmm, that seems a good tweak.. hope there's a way XD ...the added weight from the motor should have some use =))

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You switch between manual and power zoom by pushing/pulling the zoom ring back and forth.

When the zoom ring is pulled towards the camera body it is in manual zoom.

The K-x doesn't support power zoom but do not despair. In my experience manual zoom is more accurate and hence preferable.
Ooh, so there's a mechanism to it! Thanks for the heads up sir Ole. Will go back to the shop to try that (and hopefully find the lens is not broken)
05-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,397
The power zoom motor will function but the other options such as snap zoom to return to a preset focal length, image size tracking which zoomed as your focus point changed to keep the subject framed. And zoom through the focal length range during exposure, plus returning the lens to shortest configuration at power down are all lost. Pentax never supported the PZ camera functions in their DSLRs although this was promised for the K10D
05-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
I used this one on K-7 and that works. So maybe also on K-x if it can run enough energy.
05-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
How do you control the zooming action - from the body, from the lens?

07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
From the lens
07-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The power zoom motor will function but the other options such as snap zoom to return to a preset focal length, image size tracking which zoomed as your focus point changed to keep the subject framed. And zoom through the focal length range during exposure, plus returning the lens to shortest configuration at power down are all lost. Pentax never supported the PZ camera functions in their DSLRs although this was promised for the K10D
That's getting a little tedious, that Pentax promises support for something, then don't deliver. PZ in the K10D, Astrotracker for the K-01 - what else has they promised, then failed to deliver in the promised bodies?

I've always been curious as to power zoom myself, what's the real use of it? It's not like turning the zoom-ring is that hard, so it can't be that......
07-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Hey my (new to me) K20 supports the power zoom function of my 28-80mm FA 3.5~4.7

It's a noisy hoot
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, k-x, pentax lens, power zoom lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA power zoom contacts Phot0n Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 03-24-2011 04:39 PM
Zoom/Power zoom on flashes: why? hray Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 03-03-2011 03:02 PM
For Sale - Sold: PZ-70 and FA 28-80mm power zoom lens Nick Siebers Sold Items 6 12-03-2009 09:36 PM
Power Zoom lens on a K10d HeavyD Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-20-2009 03:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top