Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Please Help ... Did I get a defective lens?

I just received my K-R this week which is my first DSRL (previously had film SLR). This is my first post here.

I had ordered the DA 40MM Limited new from a vendor from Amazon. To my surprise, the box was already opened with a sticker saying "Defect Desc: Lens Back Focuses".

This vendor was selling the lens $100 cheaper than elsewhere, but I'm still surprised they would outright be dishonest saying orginally that the lens was "New".

Anyway, I've posted some shots here. I think the lens looks good but would like some feedback.

To test the focussing, I took a slanted shot of the buttons on my microwave oven. Using spot focusssing, I had focussed on the 'Baked Potatoes' button, but the lens obviously seems to be foucussing a little more near on the 'Sensor Reheat'. My main question is whether or not the lens seems defective or is spot focussing not normally this precise where the issue is not too bad. I expect to use the lens for street photography.

The first photo on the Chiva (Colombia bus) was focussed on the banannas which seems fine to me...

Attached Images

05-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I'd call that a used lens. You should send Amazon an email, show them the picture of the defect description, and get them to pay for return shipping and provide a new copy.

There may well be nothing wrong with the lens, but you bought a new lens and not a used one.
05-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

The problem is that the lens is from an Amazon approved vendor and not Amazon itself. The vendor does not show as having any more lenses so I could probably return it, but would have to pay $100 more elsewhere... I would like to save the money and avoid the hastle ... on the other hand, I would not hesistate to complain and return the lens if folks here think the lens is indeed defective.
05-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you buy it from Amazon Warehouse?

05-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Amazon vendors are small shops that have agreements with Amazon. They get to sell to Amazon's large customer base. But they aren't run by Amazon. I think part of the agreement is that they have to provide acceptable customer service or they will be cut off. They should do you right.

I bought a "new" lens once that was covered in filth. I sent it back, they paid for shipping.
05-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Most modern Pentax cameras have a means to adjust focus for individual lenses in-camera (sorry don't know if the Kr has this feature).

If you are happy with the lense, it's in perfect condition, and you have the full guarantee, I don't see the point in sending it back ... maybe the replacement lense could be faulty and you end up weeks without the lense as you send that one back for exchange too !

You can't test for front/back focus hand-held. Put it on a tripod, if it is BF/FF then carefully use the in-camera +/- adjustment to get it perfect.
05-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
The amazon vendor is 'beach audio' ... that should have provided me a clue that there could be issues, but it did say the lens was 'NEW' and the seller does have good feedback.

Before deciding to return it, I would like to know what the experts here think about the actual focus performance.

05-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens is tagged as back focus defect, but in your microwave test it appears to front focus.

Test it outside in daylight to confirm it's not the body AF tungsten issue you are seeing.

You may have a lens that is perfectly matched to your body - who knows?

The vendor should have disclosed the lens condition properly, in any case, so you could decide if $100 chepaer was worth it.
05-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
"You can't test for front/back focus hand-held. Put it on a tripod, if it is BF/FF then carefully use the in-camera +/- adjustment to get it perfect."

Thanks ... this helps a lot!

I will indeed test the lens with a tripod but if the issue can only be detected with that level of precision, then this probably is probably not a deal-breaker for me as I probably won't be doing much actual shooting under those conditions.

I'm wondering if whomever returned it had a defective camera or was just looking for an excuse to get their $$$ back.
05-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #10

The question is, which focus point were you using for these...if it was the center focus point, I would say yeah the thing isn't quite right...looks almost de-centered in some of the shots.

Send it back, demand a new copy, I cannot believe they listed that as new.
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
donkeypunch ... yes, I was using center focus point. I'm going to follow the advise and test outdoors with a tripod ... perhaps I leaned forward a bit.

If I still see the same issue, I will sent it back ... they probably won't have a new copy, but it would otherwise bug me knowing every picture I take is a bit 'off'. Also, it is the right thing to do by not rewarding this behavior with my business.

When I have the chance to take tripod shots, I'll post them here.

A huge thanks again to everyone here!
05-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

B&H may be interested in this. Their logo is on the label, right lower corner.

If the logo is authentic, how could a lens returned for being defective get out of B&H's control?

If the logo is fake, who faked that label?
05-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Banned

Interesting turn of events with the B&H label on a 'New' Lens from Beach Audio. If the receipt says beach audio on it then I'd call beach audio and complain.

BTW, I have almost the same little bus at my house. Given to me by my Mother when she was living in Panama.
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The lens might be fine, it could be the KR. Can you test another lens or the DA40 on another camera? Some people have reported the KR front focusing under tungsten lighting. Pentax advises to set the white balance to tungsten rather than Auto white balance when shooting inside.

I had the same problem with my DA40 and KR, but it wasn't the lens because it worked perfect on my other camera. I sent the camera to C.R.I.S and it is currently in shipping back to me after more than a month. Hopefully they were able to adjust everything.
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #15

Original Poster
"Some people have reported the KR front focusing under tungsten lighting"

My kitchen is halogen lighting ... not sure if would also apply.

I'm going to take the advice and take some outdoor shots with tripod and also follow your advice of benchmarking against another lens. Thanks!