Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

how much $$$ for a used Official Pentax M42-PK adapter?

Curiosity strikes: What would y'all say is the current market price for a USED official Asahi Pentax M42-PK adapter? Perfect condition, etc. Well, it's not really just curiosity -- I have a nefarious purpose that I will reveal after I get some estimates. C'mon folks, throw some numbers at me!

05-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what the current price is, but I paid $20 for one last year.
05-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I ebay'd some unofficial ones for $3.95 each (infinity focus ones). I paid $30 for my official pentax one used... the retail store here has a new one for a whopping $60-70..
05-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I seem to recall paying $25 or so for one (genuine Pentax, used, as good as new) last year after some ebay watching.

05-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I should explain a little more. I know about the prices of NEW adapters, both the Official Pentax and the cheap Bowers-type clones. I'm just interested in current market price of a USED Asahi Pentax adapter. Maybe up to 35 years old, something like that. Again, I shall reveal my nefarious purpose soon, soon...
05-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think ALL Pentax M42-pK adapters are about 35 years old.

I sold at least 4 of them in the last year, here and on FleaBay, each between $20 to $25.

There's not much to go wrong with the adapter, so used and new prices are not too far apart.
05-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The current eBay price for a genuine adapter is currently $55-70, but like I said last year I paid $20 for a used Asahi adapter. I think I was able to get a good price because the seller had it listed as an Ashai adapter and a product shot he had lifted from a web page.

05-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
JVi

Why would you pay more than this which is right from the source?

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
05-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm just interested in current market price of a USED Asahi Pentax adapter. Maybe up to 35 years old, something like that. Again, I shall reveal my nefarious purpose soon, soon...
You bought a box of 100 of them, new-old-stock? I think I paid $40 for mine, used. Very nice, with the plastic sleeve and all.
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I'll confess. I bought just one, for US$7, at a shop in the town I'm in for a month. And also a minty S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5 with original front+rear caps, for US$75. So that's US$82 combined. But if I can count the market value of the adapter as US$22, then I can say the lens only cost me $60. That looks better on my lens database. So my "nefarious purpose" is just creative accounting, that's all. Thanks!
05-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

OK, I'll confess. I bought just one, for US$7, at a shop in the town I'm in for a month. And also a minty S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5 with original front+rear caps, for US$75. So that's US$82 combined. But if I can count the market value of the adapter as US$22, then I can say the lens only cost me $60. That looks better on my lens database. So my "nefarious purpose" is just creative accounting, that's all. Thanks!
Aw darn! My hopes were all up...

Good deal, though.
05-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JVi Quote
Why would you pay more than this which is right from the source?

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
I just bought another one recently off of amazon as a backup, the Pentax Mount Adaptor B - genuine pentax and shipped directly from pentax, it was on sale for $20.99 w/ 2.95 shipping - just looked and it is back to the $29.99 w/ 6.95 shipping.
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I love me some creative accounting

If I buy a package and sell off some of the items but keep one, I usually do one of two things for the purposes of my database/record keeping. I either subtract out the total price of everything I sold for from the package purchase price and that becomes the "price" of the item I kept. Or, other times, I divide the total package cost for each item in proportion to the net sale price of each item while assigning a market value to the item I am keeping. That way each of the items sold will show a net profit, in addition to the item I am keeping (relative to the market price I assigned).

In this case, I think using a market price of $22 USD is perfectly appropriate as you could fairly readily get that if you decided to sell it.
05-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I love me some creative accounting
Gotta do SOMETHING to make it look better to meself! My usual practice with a LOT is to count each camera body, lens, flash, bag etc as single items, and misc filters, adapters, straps, whatever as a combined item. Then I divide the cost (price + shipping) by the count, so everything is amortized. But doing that with a lens+adapter set is just too unbalanced. US$41 each for lens and adapter, yeah, right.

And as it happens, I only log the costs of lenses, bodies, flashes, big 'pods, big bags, bellows, meters -- but NOT filters, meniscus close-ups, adapters, mini-pods, mini-bags and lens cases, caps, macro tubes, that sort of minor miscellanea. Guess I'm not quite anal enough...
05-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Gotta do SOMETHING to make it look better to meself! My usual practice with a LOT is to count each camera body, lens, flash, bag etc as single items, and misc filters, adapters, straps, whatever as a combined item. Then I divide the cost (price + shipping) by the count, so everything is amortized. But doing that with a lens+adapter set is just too unbalanced. US$41 each for lens and adapter, yeah, right.

And as it happens, I only log the costs of lenses, bodies, flashes, big 'pods, big bags, bellows, meters -- but NOT filters, meniscus close-ups, adapters, mini-pods, mini-bags and lens cases, caps, macro tubes, that sort of minor miscellanea. Guess I'm not quite anal enough...
Yeah, I'm not too anal about the details. At the end of the day, as long as everything is in the black, I'm happy