Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax M Lens works on Kx? DA L lens works on Vivitar 2X Macro Teleconverter?

Hi,

Recently, I got my kx, DA L 18-55mm lens, SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7, Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter MC P/K mount. I have couples of lens technical questions.....

1)
How do I make the Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 lens work on my kx?
I did tried set to MF and M mode, but the the kx does not let me shoot. I don't see I can adjust any settings except the ISO, WB. Do i miss any steps?

2)
If I know how to set up SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 on my kx, so is this the same way make the Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter MC P/K mount works on my kx too?

3)
I would like to put my DA L 18-55mm lens on the Vivitar Macro Focusing Teleconverter, but the DA L lens doesn't have the aperture ring. What should i do to make it shoot? can i adjust/set up the aperture of the DA L lens before take off from the camera and put it on the Vivtar MC Teleconverter with the camera at the end?

Please share your experience and thoughts .....

Thanks.

05-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To use a manual lens set Using Aperture Ring to permitted in the custom menu.

The DA L will only shoot wide open unless the teleconverter has the A setting. Vivitar sold them in KM and KA.
05-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The DA L will only shoot wide open unless the teleconverter has the A setting. Vivitar sold them in KM and KA.
The TC will say P-K/A on the side, near the lens lock release button and have electrical contacts almost like your camera's lens mount if it's a KA mount.

Older versions without contacts will fully close the aperture when shooting (f22 to f38 depending on where the zoom is). Which is just as useful as not working at all.
05-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There is an Article on this very site that explains in detail how to use manual lenses on a modern camera:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

05-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you're having the same issue as I have had.
I have K-x, and Pentax-M 50mm f/2.0, and I had to do some adjusting to get it to work properly.

This is from Pentax website :
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaximaging.com:
Q: Can I use older PENTAX lenses on my K-x?

A: Yes. PENTAX A-series lenses (lenses with an "A" setting on the aperture ring), can be used as manual-focus lenses in all exposure modes on a PENTAX K-x.

PENTAX K-mount, M-series and S (screw) mount lenses without auto-aperture control (an “A” setting on the aperture ring) can be used in Manual exposure mode using stop-down metering and manual focus. This is the exposure mode which will give accurate exposures when using these older lenses on our digital SLRs. If older lenses without an "A" setting on the aperture ring are used in Av (Aperture Priority) Mode, an exposure error may occur.

Note: Using PENTAX S (screw) mount lenses on a PENTAX DSLR requires the use of a Pentax Mount Adapter K.

To set up your PENTAX K-x to use older PENTAX lenses:

Press the Menu button

Press the left button on the four-way controller to get to page 4 of the Rec. Mode menu
Press the down button on the four-way controller, select Green Button
and press the right button on the four-way controller.
Press the down button on the four-way controller, select Action in M Mode
then press the right button on the four-way controller and select Tv SHIFT. Press the OK button then the Menu button twice.

(This setting allows easy and accurate exposure metering using older lenses without an "A" setting on the aperture ring. When the Green button is pressed in Manual exposure mode, the lens "stops down", the camera's meter measures the light passing through the lens, and an appropriate shutter speed is automatically set based on that measurement).

Press the Menu button

Press the left button on the four-way controller to get to the Custom Settings menu
Press the down button on the four-way controller and select Using Aperture Ring
Press the down button on the four-way controller, select Permitted and press the OK button.
Press the Menu button to exit the Custom Settings menu

Note: when using lenses without an "A" setting on the aperture ring, Manual exposure mode must be used. Exposure can be set by adjusting the lens aperture ring and/or adjusting the shutter speed on the camera.

Note: pressing the Exposure Compensation button (the +/- button) on the K-x will automatically set an appropriate shutter speed in Manual exposure mode when using non-"A" series lenses.

If Shake Reduction is enabled when using an older lens, you will need to manually select the closest matching focal length from the Input Focal Length menu. To do this:
Turn the camera off. Mount the non-"A" series lens. Turn the camera on.

The Input Focal Length screen will appear. Use the rear e-dial to select a focal length which is closest to the focal length of the lens you are using. If you are using a zoom lens, choose a focal length close to the midpoint of the zoom range of the camera.
Once everything is set and done, your 50mm should work in both Manual and Aperture Priority settings.

Last edited by RickyFromVegas; 05-05-2011 at 04:03 PM.
05-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Thanks all suggestions and links.

I tried the M 50mm f1.7 lens & Vivitar 2X Macro Teleconverteryesterday night. It seems working well.
So I should set the Focal Length to be 100mm when I am using Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 with Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter?

I also tried the DA L lens with Macro Teleconverter............ so sad about that.
I can take a pic, but with 10000 ISO and good lighting........ I believe the DA L lens is set to the f22-38 without the electronic contact.
Or I should get one converter with Aperture setting.
05-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenneth3aracing Quote

Thanks all suggestions and links.

I tried the M 50mm f1.7 lens & Vivitar 2X Macro Teleconverteryesterday night. It seems working well.
So I should set the Focal Length to be 100mm when I am using Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 with Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter?

I also tried the DA L lens with Macro Teleconverter............ so sad about that.
I can take a pic, but with 10000 ISO and good lighting........ I believe the DA L lens is set to the f22-38 without the electronic contact.
Or I should get one converter with Aperture setting.
Forget the converter for the DA L, just find a SMC Pentax-F 35-105 or 35-135.

SMC Pentax-F 35-105mm F4-5.6 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

SMC Pentax-F 35-135mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

If you need closer focusing then get a Raynox 150.