Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help... 55mm 1.8 Super Takumar

I just got a Super_Takumar 55mm 1.8 lens. It's my first m42 mount lens.
The lens appears to be in new condition, inside & out.

While I was fiddling with the new toy, I slid the small grooved button that's behind the aperture ring to the "auto" position and I can't seem to be able to move it back. It seems stuck and I don't want to force anything.
Is there something I need to do or is there a problem with the lens?
The lens is not mounted to an adapter or on a camera body.

05-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Forum Member

mount it. on the back side, near the m42 thread there is a small button, it needs to be pressed. if you mount it, adapter will keep it pressed.
i did not know this just until recently as well...
good luck takumaring!
janko
05-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks- I pressed the small pin and it switched perfectly. Wow, that pin is hardly noticeable. Now I'll ask another question....what does the switch do exactly?
05-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

try it. it has to do with aperture and aperture ring. and with the bigger pin on the back of the lens. enjoy!

05-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
what does the switch do exactly?
Its purpose is to prevent the user from moving the A-M switch to M, exactly what it did to you

It sounds like I'm joking. But I'm not....

Mounted on a Spotmatic body that requires stop-down metering (SP, SP II, SP 500, ...) , the little pin in depressed. For metering, the A-M switch can be at either A or M to take a reading (the lens has to be closed down by the metering lever anyway).

On a Spotmatic body that allows full-aperture metering (SP ES, SP F, ...), through a newly-added lever, the lens can communicate its max. aperture to the camera and the camera expects the lens fully open when taking a reading. The metering switch does not close down the lens. If the lens is at M and thus is at close-down aperture, the light metering will be incorrect. The mount of these cameras is modified so that it doesn't depress the the little pin, and thus ensured that the lens is at A and thus is at full aperture.

The lens can be used on either style of Spotmatic camera bodies. Camera bodies of other brands have the "original" M42 mount so they don't depress the little pin; similar to with SP, SP II, SP 500, ... the lens has to be closed down for metering.

Last edited by SOldBear; 05-05-2011 at 05:09 PM.
05-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jane7l Quote
mount it. on the back side, near the m42 thread there is a small button, it needs to be pressed. if you mount it, adapter will keep it pressed.
i did not know this just until recently as well...
good luck takumaring!
janko
Either you have an adapter that I don't know about, or some clarification is needed on shooting with the Tak's on modern bodies.

For you to use your Tak correctly (that is on modern bodies), you will need to have the "Switch" engaged to the left (when looking at the front element), when this switch is to the left, it will cover the "Auto" print and show the "Man." print, that means you are in manual (the lens is in manual). When in manual on the Tak's, the "Push Pin Switch" is "Deactivated", and full control of the aperture is done manually by using the ring.

If you have the Tak in "Auto" mode, it will always shoot wide open, even when changing the aperture with the ring. Unlike on the screwmount bodies, there is no mechanical part that engages the "Push Pin Switch" on modern K-Mount bodies. If you look at a K-Mount lens, the switch to engage the aperture goes "Up-And-Down", M42 is "In-And-Out".

Now, a quick way to tell if your Tak lens is set properly when mounted on your body is to move the aperture ring - while stopping down your view will get darker and while opening up your view will get brighter.

-------------------

Now, on another note about the Taks (if you are using AV mode) - when first getting used to your Tak, you will need to take pictures of the same subject at different f/stops, then you will need to figure out if you will have to adjust ev comp. My 55 Tak is a +1 and my 135 is a +1.5, and that is on both my K5 and K-X (this in in AV mode, manual mode should not need ev comp)...
05-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the prompt responses. I got in touch with my son who also advised that I switch to manual while I have the Tak mounted on my K7. He also suggested that I buy the OEM (i.e. Pentax) M42 adapter rather than a 3rd party. I just placed an order with PentaxUSA for one. I'm looking forward to using this lens. As I mentioned it looks brand new even though I believe it's the 1972 vintage (rubberized focus ring). It came with the Hoya Skylight Filter and a Tiffen circular polarizer for $40. I thought I was cured of my LBA, at least for a while once I bought my Tamron 90mm 2 weeks ago but I have a feeling that the "problem" will continue with the Takumars. It doesn't look like Pentax still offers the 49mm to K Mount reversing ring for macro. I hear the 28mm Tak is good for that purpose so I'll put that one on my wish list. Are any of the 3rd party brand reversing rings Ok?
05-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

"I got in touch with my son who also advised that I switch to manual while I have the Tak mounted on my K7"

You essentially have too. Leave the lens switched to manual and the body either to "Manual Mode" OR "Aperture Priority". I use mine in AV only because a lot of the shooting I do is in motion, so I put it in AV, set my ev comp and have at it, that way i do not need to "green" it...

Enjoy your Tak, they are sooooooooooo great!!!!

BTW: I am on the hunt for a 28 Tak also, the pricing is a little high on them at the moment but I am trying to snag one up for my collection...

05-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

seachunk2,
On a side note, if you want to see the sharpness and smooth buttery bokeh that lens puts out, look at the pics I posted here of the bikes:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123731-no-more-tests-jus...ml#post1488507

Not really a great subjects, but it will give you an idea of the sharpness and the color rendition that lens will give you...
05-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Regarding leaving the lens in "Manual" when mounted on your camera, you may find that it's more convenient to use the switch as follows:

1. Set the camera to Av mode.

2. Set your desired aperture.

3. With the switch in "Auto", focus and compose. (The lens will be wide open.)

4. Before you shoot, switch to "Manual". (The lens will stop itself down to the designated aperture.)

If you had the lens permanently in Manual, you'd have to focus with the aperture manually set to wide open, and then manually stop down to your desired aperture just prior to shooting - slightly more difficult to do.

The only slightly confusing issue is that the switch will leave the "M" showing when it's in Manual and "A" when in Auto.